IW STi Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
wow... has anyone watched your engine move? yes MOVE when...

I just found this site today, yippee. I have owned my STi for two weeks now.

I kept my Whiteline rear sway bar and ALK off my old WRX and I asked Whiteline if they will fit the new STi. Here is the answer.

Hi Jim,

Thanks for your e-mail.

the ALK will fit the new STi.
The rear HD mounts will also fit the new STi.
But the rear swaybar is different. We have a new part number for the rear:
BSR37 = 22mm
BSR37X = 24mm
BSR37Z = 20-24mm adjustable.
BSR37XZ = 22-26mm adjustable.

The front swaybars are the same.

I hope that this helps.
Regards

Bob
www.whiteline.com.au

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
ya even perrin's site says the rear sway bas wont fit. The ALK should be just fine along with front sway bar. Thank you for the info tho!

Robert~

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I noticed the Sti swaybar is 20mm, same as my old WRX. Maybe it mounts differerently to give less sway than a 20mm bar on the WRX. (Mounting holes for links closer to pivot centerline.)

Jim

·
Registered
284 Posts
im confused... are you saying that whiteline now HAS a swaybar available for the STi?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes they do, see the part numbers in the first post. You know what, I'm going to drive my STi for a while before I jump for a sway bar. This car seems to be more neutral than my WRX was, does power slides much better. I might not need a bigger rsb.

jim

·
Registered
284 Posts
Just my two cents... consider installing the STi springs before shelling out for the RSB. Im not saying you wont need a RSB then, but things are much better with the new springs in - itll take me some time to find weak spots in the suspension. (also, just so you know what im dealing with, I have F&R strut bars installed)

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm going to drive this thing for a while, it certainly is more capable of hanging the rear end out than the stock wrx. It might not need a Rsb. The stock STi springs are stiff enough for this grandpa. Think I'll just wait a while and see what the weak points are. All the magazines were complaining of understeer, but I'm not convinced yet.

Jim

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Carbon Concepts Gauge Pod

Istepnio, What do you mean about the ALK. Does the STi already have more caster than the WRX?

When I had the ALK on my WRX I didn't notice any benefit from the geometry, but the stiff bushing gave a very positive feel, kind of like good steering rack bushings.

I was poking around under the car, the stock control arm bush seems fairly stiff compared to the WRX.

Jim

·
Registered
142 Posts
The Whiteline ALK adds about .5 degrees of static caster and up to 1 degree of dynamic caster. A standard USDM WRX has 3.0 degrees of castor stock and with the anti lift kit you get 3.5 degrees. The USDM STI has 4.5 degrees castor stock and if you turn the 2 bolt pin on the aluminum lower control arms which joins it to the body will give you more or just the same as an ALK.

ALK = Anti Lift Kit (Whiteline produces this kit for the WRX)

·
Registered
493 Posts
STi has a very very slightly larger rear Sway compared to WRX.
I tried to install adjustable WL sway from my prev WRX to the STi.
I was thinking to put the WL to the STi and give the WRX the STi's sway.

But I wasted time, it just did not fit. EVen I forced it to fit, won't fit at all.
Well learned the hard way :(

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Salaki, thanks for your effort. Even though WL gave the official word, I almost tried it myself.

Istepnio, So, have you flipped the pin over and noticed a difference?

I love these forums, I would have never known this stuff.

jim

·
Registered
23 Posts
lstepnio said:
The Whiteline ALK adds about .5 degrees of static caster and up to 1 degree of dynamic caster. A standard USDM WRX has 3.0 degrees of castor stock and with the anti lift kit you get 3.5 degrees. The USDM STI has 4.5 degrees castor stock and if you turn the 2 bolt pin on the aluminum lower control arms which joins it to the body will give you more or just the same as an ALK.

ALK = Anti Lift Kit (Whiteline produces this kit for the WRX)
actually, the WRX has 3.5 degrees caster from the factory.

can you describe what these bolts do in more detail? I am aware of the standard camber adjuster, but this is something new...

Also, has anyone tried to mount a WL front bar on the STI?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts