IW STi Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone in the forums own or has owned an Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio?

Wondering about the ownership experience. As well, wondering about AR's QA.

What about the lower tier Giulias?

·
Registered
637 Posts
The Quad looks amazing but is more than I can spend. I'd lease one...

I have heard it's 2.9L 6 is pushing 34 psi to make it's 505 hp. :eek:

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Was trying to see about getting into a used one, but it appears that the prices don't drop well (which is good if you're an owner). 2017s are in the mid to low 60s...haven't even looked at how they're optioned.

I'm trying to get a feel for if it would be a good next car for me.

They're definitely lookers, though, and yeah, I have heard it mentioned that they run very high peak boost. Makes me wonder about engine longevity.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
If I were you I would wait until the coupe is released. I imagine a lot of the tech from that will carry over to the sedan and if that's the case, the value of this generation sedan will plummet

·
Registered
603 Posts
I briefly cross shopped a ghibli and guilia a couple years ago. After further visual scrutiny and some exhausting research discovered that the interior panels and too much of the dash was chrysler parts bin material. There's a decent amount of articles floating around about the Guilia that complain about the reliability as well. Granted the above is even below anecdotal, it was enough to steer me clear.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I briefly cross shopped a ghibli and guilia a couple years ago. After further visual scrutiny and some exhausting research discovered that the interior panels and too much of the dash was chrysler parts bin material. There's a decent amount of articles floating around about the Guilia that complain about the reliability as well. Granted the above is even below anecdotal, it was enough to steer me clear.

Thanks for that info.

The main reason I'm asking about reliability is because it seems that there's a general agreement that Alfa Romeo has QA problems, but I was wondering if people say that because of past (as in 10+ years ago) issues and not current QA issues.

If all I had to worry about was interior panels being parts-bin material and nothing else, that isn't bad...that's a far lesser issue than engine-specific or electrical problems - not that I'd want a $60K car with Chrysler plastics.

I saw some reports of issues with the braking system (drive-by-wire) having issues, but there wasn't a ton of these and the issue only affected the non-Quadrifoglio models. I was looking for Quadrifoglio-specific problem areas but I'm not seeing any.

Also, a 30K mile service that costs $2000 (replacement of the S belt taking 8 hours is probably a major factor for that price). I'm assuming that type of service is normal for such a car. Am I wrong?

·
Registered
637 Posts
Well, the engine is from the Ferrari parts bin, for better or worse. There might be expensive maintenance involved, lol...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts