IW STi Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello guys, My name is Alex and I have just purchased the car I've wanted for a long time. :D

It's an 06 Sti that had had a few different engines in it over the last few year.
Right now is has:
101mm sleeved and built 2.5L
CNC Headporting
BC stage 3 cams
FP GT3794R
Methanol injection
twin Walbro 225s
aftermarket rear axles and hubs (not sure of brand)

It made 583 awhp on 93/meth on AMS's mustang dyno which calculates to ~641 corrected AWHP.

I got it from the previous owner with a bad oil burning issue (it still ran strong) so I am tearing it down and freshening the cylinder walls and piston rings, along with new bearings, valve guides, and head gaskets. I'm doing all the work myself minus the head and cylinder work.

My goal is to dip into the 9s on pump fuel/meth this year. Just wanted to introduce myself with a few pics and say stay tuned for the engine rebuild and future videos!

·
Registered
911 Posts
Re: Alex's GT3794R STi- Engine Build

Sick Whip. Sick colored rims. Looking forward to seeing more of this car!

·
Super Moderator
10,688 Posts

Very nice, good that you started a journal here to document your refresh.

·
Registered
5,630 Posts

Quite a goal you have set for yourself. In for updates.

Also - fan of CKY?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Thanks for the replies guys! I almost have the engine apart, i'll post pics of that later tonight. And yes, 9s or bust for this car. The car ran a previous best of 10.8 with the old motor (non sleeved) and a 35r. I am very excited to see what the future holds!

Sick Whip. Sick colored rims. Looking forward to seeing more of this car!
Thanks for the compliment. The purple was the choice of the previous owner and I've picked up some XXR 527s to try out. I will post a pic of those later as well.

Quite a goal you have set for yourself. In for updates.

Also - fan of CKY?
Haha, funny you ask. I picked that username about 10 years ago for another account and it just stuck! Was a fan, don't dislike them by any means but I was much more of a fan when I was in high school!

·
Registered
223 Posts
That manifold is looks awesome. Can't wait to see the results of the build. It's always awesome when you have the ability to diy

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

That manifold is looks awesome. Can't wait to see the results of the build. It's always awesome when you have the ability to diy

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk
Thanks bud. I like the look of it too but I hate to say I'll need a bigger one soon! To push past 700whp i'll need a Cosworth manifold and bigger throttle body.

·
Registered
5,630 Posts

Haha, funny you ask. I picked that username about 10 years ago for another account and it just stuck! Was a fan, don't dislike them by any means but I was much more of a fan when I was in high school!
Taste change. I am not as big into them as I used to be. Saw em a few times when they came around. Saw the username and it reminded me of them. :rolleyes:

:tup:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Hey guys. Tore the engine down tonight... Found an unsettling discovery.... Complete failure of the rod bearing on Cyl. 1. I can't exactly blame the previous owner for not telling me seeing as he is not car savvy at all, but still, how can you miss something like that! I rode in the car "the last time it was running" and it most certainly did not have a knock. But anyway, I had planned on tearing it down for the oil burning issue so it's not the end of the world. The deal I got on the car was far better than the cost of a rebuild.

I digress.

The rest of the bearings looked fine, just that one was terrible. I'm HOPING they can machine the crank but there's a chance I might be looking at a new one. The rod is f**ked and will need to be replaced. The cylinder walls were washed out just as I suspected- absolutely no cross hatch left. It seems the owner did not pay attention to a break in period with his $10,000+ engine. What a shame! By the way- this car made 641 corrected AWHP... with washed out walls. Can't wait to get it back together:devil:

Here's some pics of the teardown. Feel free to ask questions!

Sludge in the exhaust port :tdown:

Blurry shot of the ported heads...

Short Block

Picked up these wheels, what do you guys think? XXR 527

BBS vs XXR?

I think we all know what this is!

Evidence of the carnage....

Oh lord..

Rod is destroyed

What's left of the bearing

The surface on the crank is pretty bad, I'm concerned about this

More of the crank

Block split in half.

·
Super Moderator
10,688 Posts

That crank is done, stick a fork in it. It would have to be welded and reground as you would not want the journal turned undersize by any means. (sorry the machinist in me came out on that one)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

That crank is done, stick a fork in it. It would have to be welded and reground as you would not want the journal turned undersize by any means. (sorry the machinist in me came out on that one)
I'm with you. It's a shame. Hey at least it wasn't a Cosworth stroker crank:banghead:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts