IW STi Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I checked into getting a Compustar installed, yesterday; the installer told me they couldn't do the remote start because the car was a manual.
Couldn't or Wouldn't?

1) Just wanted to verify there are guys here using the remote start on their STI. Right?

2) Is there any type of failsafe in case you leave it in gear and try to remote start it?

3) If I don't get the remote start enabled, can I still utilize the turbo timer feature (of the alarm)?

I thought of another:
4) Is there any reason you can't hook the starter kill feature to the fuel pump instead of the starter? (My thought is that this would avoid a theif push starting the car.)

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
Wouldn't.

You do run the risk of leaving it in gear though and there is no fail safe way of preventing it that I am aware of.

·
Registered
8 Posts
from what i've read, theres a neutral wire you can hook up somewhere that will keep the car from starting or attempting to start if its not in neutral

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Re: Anyone getting/gotten aftermarket leather for thier seat

Not true at all. It's very possible....I installed my Viper 770 that way. There is a neutral wire off of the ECU that can be used. If everything is wired up properly you can start the car when the hood is closed, it is out of gear and the parking brake is on. It will deactive if the hood is opened, the car is moved into gear, the parking brake is lowered or the brake pedal is stepped on before putting the key in the ignition.

PM or email me if you have any detailed questions.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I had the compustar 2WFM-AS with 2 remotes (Vs. only one possible for the 2WSS-AS - inconvenient for 2 drivers) installed a few weeks after I got the STi and there is a failsafe way for installation. There is what's called the "reservation mode" for the compustar. It has to be in reservation mode for you to start the car with the remote. To be in reservation mode (I think this is general), the engine has to be running (say you just pulled into a parking spot) then you do the following:

1. Put the car in neutral
2. Pull up the emergency brake (and take your foot off the brake pedal) 3. Turn the key to the off position (and remove it or it will get locked in the car !).

The car will remain running for up to a minute until the last open door is closed. As soon as the last door is closed within that minute, the car automatically shuts off the engine and arms both the compustar and factory alarm.

If it's in turbo timer mode, it will continue to run for 2 minutes after you turn the key to the off position. When you close the last door, I think it locks the doors and arms the compustar alarm or you have to manually arm the compustar alarm - I can't remember - I haven't used that feauture in months), shuts off the engine(when 2 mins is up) and then arms the factory alarm.

What CloNeGTS said about the Viper770 applies as well. If after turning the key to the off position, you press the brake pedal or lower the handbrake the car will shut off immediately.

I'm don't think it would start with the hood open since the compustar alarm won't be armed then. Also, if you were to put the car in reservation mode, then go back and disarm the car, put it in gear while the engine is off then close the door and rearm, I'm not sure it would be able to remote start. As soon as you disarm the alarm without starting the car first, I think it cancels the reservation mode as well just to safeguard against a situation like that... Hmm, too many uncertaintities in my reply... time for some experimentation.... look out for another post in a bit...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Ok trial and error is over... here are the results... (This could just be how mine was set up though)

1. In turbo timer mode, after closing the last open door, you have to manually arm the compustar alarm which will lock the doors but leave the engine running, after the 2 minute period is up, the engine shuts off and it then arms the factory alarm.

2. If the car is in reservation mode and say, a while later you realize you forgot something in it, if you disarm the car and open a door then close it and rearm the system, you will not be able to remote start the car - opening a door cancels reservation mode. If you just disarmed and rearmed without opening a door, or only opened the trunk, it will still be able to remote start.

3. If the hood or any of the doors is open when you try to enter reservation mode, the car will shut off when you turn the key to the off position. So, only open the doors after turning the key to the off position.

4. You can disarm the alarm then start the car before you open any doors.

5. If you let one minute go by before you close the last open door or the trunk reservation mode is cancelled and you will have to start the car with the key.

6. If you park the car in an open space, stay in the car (Driver's side only !)and put it in reservation mode (just open and close a door) then put it in gear, it will attempt to start 3 times (while lurching forward due to the handbrake being up !) Do not try this - but if you do, just press the brake and everything should stop ! :p I guess the guys never used that neutral wire for my setup :-? .

P.S. It's really weird just sitting there and having it go through the whole needle sweep and lights coming on without you touching anything - kinda like Knight Rider... yeah I wish ! :D

O.G

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yea, there is definetely a failsafe; I finally found someone to install it all and it works great.

Remote start, verbal and vibrating page on violation, 1+ mile range, turbo timer.... I love it!

I've been to work (thick marble/concrete building 1 block from my concrete parking garage where I park one level underground) {edit: there are windows on the both buildings which I'm sure is necessary for this kind of reception}, the store, and other miscellaneous errands, and havent' found any place yet where my remote lost contact w/ the car.

This alarm rules!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts