IW STi Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone happen to know the disadvantages of changing the stock STi Rally inspired suspension for an Air Lift Performance bag setup? What I’ll I be losing?

I’m wanting a more aggressive fitment, but where I live it’s not practical all the time, I mentioned it to some friends at work and they started ragging on me for wanting to ditch the STi suspension for bags, and that I’m getting rid of what makes an STi an STi.

Any input is welcome. I don’t know much mechanically.

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
Yeah you are totally changing the suspension setup of the car. No matter what Airlift says, their setups are really only good for daily driving and dropping the car crazy low. You lose a lot of handling in the process, piss away your suspension angles, and in the end have a smooth Instagram-friendly car that can’t actually corner very well at all. Plus it’s really associated with the flat brim/vape crowd so kind of goes with that whole stance scene.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Saying that a car on Airlift won't corner well is not true at all. Do a lot of people go bags just for looks? Yeah for sure, but it also gives you a ton of adjustability. Cody Miles races Global Time Attack in his 07 STI on Airlift 3H system and has set his class record at NOLA Motorsports Park. Gears and Gasoline on Youtube also featured him for a video called "Can You Go Fast on Air Suspension?" if you're interested. You can make it ride super soft or you can make it very stiff. The choice is up to you. I installed their kit on my '19 STI because I wanted to have a low car but also be able to raise it up for obstacles and still take corners. Not sure if you are looking to install it yourself or have someone else do it. Its a fair bit of work if you decide to try and tackle it yourself. So far there hasn't been much that I've lost besides some of my trunk space haha. My car still has a lot of tweaking to do but I take corners just as I did on my stock suspension. It has been a project but I've enjoyed learning as I go. Don't let your friends comments bug ya. Do what you want to do to your car(y)

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
For ride height adjustability and better handling you need coilovers. No airbag system will perform as good as a good coilover like a fortune auto. If you want to be able to drop it down when parked for some reason then airbags, but you will sacrifice handling.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I always thought of air bags as a ricer mod. Downgrade performance/reliability for show.

I'd say save your money. Goodluck with your choice.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts