IW STi Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I put my car up on jack stands and was going to replace my steering rack today but.... it hasn't shown up yet . Since I've got the car up and some idle time, was thinking about getting rid of that pesky air pump. Problem is, I don't have the block off plates.

For those of you with more knowledge on this engine than me, what problems would you foresee with removing the pump and plastic piping, and then cutting metal pipe to the block about an inch from the flange and capping it with a plug and clamp? Does this area see much vacuum/pressure?

Before you blast me, it would only be temporary until I order the block off plates. Wouldn't be doing it this way if I hadn't planned to spend the weekend working on the car only to have parts not show up.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I made my own block-off plates. It took about 15 min to cut them out of a 1/4 inch piece of aluminum, file and drill.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Got into it last night. Ended up ordering OEM EGR block off plates, part number 14754AA050. ~$5 each (for 05-07 Outback). Had over drill the holes to get the driver side plate to line up with the holes in the heads. Left the passenger side tubing connected and blocked it off where it normally connected to the solenoid. Fit perfectly.

Only hiccup was getting that damn passenger side solenoid out of there. Was finally able to get the bolt holding the bracket after breaking loose the plastic tray beneath the IM and using a small 1/4" ratchet with a 12mm socket and lots of tiny tiny turns. Then all it took was lots of prying and cursing to get the solenoid out from underneath the manifold.

Good to go now!

·
Registered
859 Posts
did u leave the other solenoid intact with the air pressure sensor? or in the least, cut the sensor off that solenoid and replug the sensor back in?

i heard bad shit if u dont have that sensor running.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Removed the solenoid, cut the sensor off the top. No problems yet. Just need to get the codes removed since accesstuner race doesn't work anymore

·
Registered
528 Posts
You can grind the drivers solenoid right where the metal is holding the plastic together, plug the left over part back in for a temporary fix, mine is totally missing how ever it was tuned out.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts