IW STi Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Crutchfield.com: would using an 03 WRX Sedan be sufficient

Anyone know where the side air bag is located? On the old WRX's, it was in the seat. The new STi has a sewn-shut seat. Any ideas?

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea, but that seat is completely covered! Does it rip through the seat cloth when it goes off? I would hope not.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
uh, i think it has too. upholstery is "cheap". when a front passenger bag goes off, it wrecks half the dash.

·
Registered
75 Posts
yes it'd designed to blow right through the seats...

the sensor is actually in the B pillar...
so unless you broadside something...
or get Tboned... they're not going to go off.

cya
Jamie

·
Registered
167 Posts
amdmaxx said:
Makes u think twice about replacing stock seats with Recaros, Corbeau, Sparcos, etc
The way I see it, I've had other cars without ANY airbags, let alone side impact airbags. Removing the side impact airbags can make the car any less safe than my MY00 RS.....or my MY88 CRX. It would absolutely be safer with the SI airbags, but no more unsafe than many other cars I've driven.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
psycho said:
amdmaxx said:
Makes u think twice about replacing stock seats with Recaros, Corbeau, Sparcos, etc
The way I see it, I've had other cars without ANY airbags, let alone side impact airbags. Removing the side impact airbags can make the car any less safe than my MY00 RS.....or my MY88 CRX. It would absolutely be safer with the SI airbags, but no more unsafe than many other cars I've driven.
True. But I'd feel terrible if I took the stock seats out, got t-boned, and someone got severely injured as a result.

-st

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
It wouldn't be your fault.... Getting T-boned is always the fault of the person who hit you.... almost always.

If you bought a car that never had the side air-bags in the first place, you could blame yourself that it's your fault for not buying a car with them... but that wouldn't be true, and I don't think it would be if you took them out of the car either.

Consider this. Is it your fault that you never put side air bags IN a car that never came with them? If that is the case, then it's your fault if there was ANYTHING you didn't do to make the car safer. Adding roll bars, wearing helmits any time you're in the car.... installing an automatic fire extinguisher and a button that calls 911 whenever you press it.....

Just because something was part of the stock configuration doesn't mean that you're responsible for what happens if you changed the car and made/didn't make it more or less safe.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
bitabur said:
It wouldn't be your fault.... Getting T-boned is always the fault of the person who hit you.... almost always.

If you bought a car that never had the side air-bags in the first place, you could blame yourself that it's your fault for not buying a car with them... but that wouldn't be true, and I don't think it would be if you took them out of the car either.

Consider this. Is it your fault that you never put side air bags IN a car that never came with them? If that is the case, then it's your fault if there was ANYTHING you didn't do to make the car safer. Adding roll bars, wearing helmits any time you're in the car.... installing an automatic fire extinguisher and a button that calls 911 whenever you press it.....

Just because something was part of the stock configuration doesn't mean that you're responsible for what happens if you changed the car and made/didn't make it more or less safe.
I'm not saying I'm responsible, I'm just saying it would suck really really really badly : ) Seeing as the people who most often ride with me in my car are my GF of 6 years and one of my best friends, I would hate for anything to happen to them.

-st

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
True. I'm simply saying that just because one configuration is the stock configuration doesn't mean it's the safest or least safe way to go....

You just have to do what you want to do with your car.....

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
bitabur said:
How do you figure that? I've seen several wrecks where a car turning left, for example, pulled out in front of another car that was close enough they had no time to slow down or avoid the car that pulled out in front of them, and they t-boned it. Yet I would hardly call that their fault (the car that did the t-boning).

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
I guess I was considering just getting impaled from the side.... never seen someone cut a left that close..... I guess it happens tho.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts