IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before making any investment, I wanted to get some advice from others on replacing the stock TMIC on the 08 Sti. In particular, I am thinking about running a direct meth injection too. I had some work done from AMR (stage 1) and the car runs great. Looking at doing a stage 2 with them but am also considering replacing the stock TMIC with theirs. I'm not interested in going with a FMIC (too much tubing) but want to lower the intake charge as much as possible. Will an aftermarket TMIC be effective for this? Keeping in mind expandability. At some point I may replace the stock turbo with a slightly larger one - but not now.

I do not have a goal whp in mind. Just looking to make small, incremental modifications little at a time.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
994 Posts
Absolutely. TMIC as you already know can go with one of AMR's bolt-ons (up to a point, the T60R has a 60lbs compressor wheel which can generate I believe up to 450whp (check with AMR)). With all turbo charging setups, one of your primary concerns is heat. There is a lot of heat generated as air molecules are forced into your intake manifold. As a result, parts like a TMIC go a long way in helping keeping the air cool which means more SAFER power. I always though a TMIC would only be helpful with the addition of a new turbo. I am wrong. Again cooler means safer and ultimately more power.

What are you really concerned about here?

Btw, for over 400whp I believe most will recommend a FMIC (its more of an active cooling unit instead of the more passive TM design, but having the TMIC as well is even better).

PM me if you have any more questions (I dropped my car off at AMR this week)! :D

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
A bigger TMIC is very effective as long as the car is moving. If you are in stop and go traffic during the hot months, It can take twice as long to cool the TMIC back down due to it having increased surface area that has been heat soaked. Hopefully since the 08 STI hood scoop is supposed to flow better than previous year models, a bigger heatsoaked TMIC will cool a little faster.

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
Keep in mind, the '08 TMIC is already bigger than previous years... and just running a stage II set-up you probably won't see a tremendous difference. If you're going to use meth, the cooling effect of the meth injection more than makes up the difference an aftermarket TMIC would produce.

·
Premium Member
9,206 Posts
Keep in mind, the '08 TMIC is already bigger than previous years... and just running a stage II set-up you probably won't see a tremendous difference. If you're going to use meth, the cooling effect of the meth injection more than makes up the difference an aftermarket TMIC would produce.
While it is larger than previous generations, is it still a tube and fin design?

If so, an aftermarket bar and plate would still provide less flow restriction while giving you a larger cooling area and more heat absorption. This will all

I am not sure who has produced an 08 specific TMIC yet, but I am partial to the design of the Spearco units. They are some of the highest quality units I have seen.

TurnInConcepts and P&L Motorsports can help you source a Spearco TMIC.

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
While it is larger than previous generations, is it still a tube and fin design?

If so, an aftermarket bar and plate would still provide less flow restriction while giving you a larger cooling area and more heat absorption. This will all

I am not sure who has produced an 08 specific TMIC yet, but I am partial to the design of the Spearco units. They are some of the highest quality units I have seen.

TurnInConcepts and P&L Motorsports can help you source a Spearco TMIC.
Of course it will be an improvement... but a small one. The stock turbo just isn't pushing enough airflow to really be a huge problem at stage II levels, and again... the meth injection will MORE than make up the difference.

·
Premium Member
9,206 Posts
But a less restricting design can get you and extra PSI or two with no extra turbo work.

That means cooler charge air to begin with, along with a higher peak psi for the same amount of exhaust flow.

That, IMHO, is the main benefit.

The increased material in a bar and plate design also absorbs more heat, which is another huge benefit, since ICs act more as heat sink than actual air coolers.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
To add to what he said.
Some of the bigger units don't actually cool better, they are just bigger and less restrictive. However, if the cool the same but flow better you have some gains. Or you'll have gains since the meth will do the cooling and your tmic won't be as restrictive.

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
But a less restricting design can get you and extra PSI or two with no extra turbo work.

That means cooler charge air to begin with, along with a higher peak psi for the same amount of exhaust flow.

That, IMHO, is the main benefit.

The increased material in a bar and plate design also absorbs more heat, which is another huge benefit, since ICs act more as heat sink than actual air coolers.
You have it reversed, actually... a larger capacity intercooler will produce MORE turbo lag and take longer to reach full boost... the boost pressure will only be as high as the wastegate or boost controller allow, that is not decided by intercooler size or efficiency.

It is WORSE to have an intercooler that is too large for the set-up you're running... and with the stock turbo, all it does is produce more lag with a "slight" increase in top end power... to me, less lag is more important than an extra 5-10hp.

·
Premium Member
9,206 Posts
You have it reversed, actually... a larger capacity intercooler will produce MORE turbo lag and take longer to reach full boost... the boost pressure will only be as high as the wastegate or boost controller allow, that is not decided by intercooler size or efficiency.

It is WORSE to have an intercooler that is too large for the set-up you're running... and with the stock turbo, all it does is produce more lag with a "slight" increase in top end power... to me, less lag is more important than an extra 5-10hp.
You are correct in your thinking, if all things were to reamin the same. But they don't.

Tube and Fin intercoolers are inherently more restrictive than a bar and plate. That is where the benefits are seen.

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
You are correct in your thinking, if all things were to reamin the same. But they don't.

Tube and Fin intercoolers are inherently more restrictive than a bar and plate. That is where the benefits are seen.
I'm not disagreeing that they're not more efficient... I'm simply saying with a near stock set-up, it's a small gain for what you're paying, and the meth injection is probably all that is needed. With an aftermarket turbo, I would absolutely install one.

And the only benefit you will see, is the ability to have more dense air at higher RPMS, because it is cooled more efficiently, giving you a slight HP increase with the stock turbo.

(Just so you know, I had a V7 STI engine in my bug-eye and saw the change when switching from the STI intercooler, to the MRT Bar-and-Plate large top-mount... it was minimal)

·
Registered
437 Posts
I'm not disagreeing that they're not more efficient... I'm simply saying with a near stock set-up, it's a small gain for what you're paying, and the meth injection is probably all that is needed. With an aftermarket turbo, I would absolutely install one.

And the only benefit you will see, is the ability to have more dense air at higher RPMS, because it is cooled more efficiently, giving you a slight HP increase with the stock turbo.

(Just so you know, I had a V7 STI engine in my bug-eye and saw the change when switching from the STI intercooler, to the MRT Bar-and-Plate large top-mount... it was minimal)

But for those who start modifying their engines by spending their money first on distressing and efficiency. An aftermarket TMIC might be a good place to start.

Question is, is there any information (flow rate, etc) for TMIC for the GR's ...?

-Garrett

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
But for those who start modifying their engines by spending their money first on distressing and efficiency. An aftermarket TMIC might be a good place to start.

Question is, is there any information (flow rate, etc) for TMIC for the GR's ...?

-Garrett
Sure, but the OP said he wants to run stage 2 levels, with possibly adding meth injection.

I'm simply giving advice based on a case-by-case basis, answering the question based on what HE wants from his car. I stated many times that they ARE more efficient, but with STOCK turbo at stage 2 levels.... the gain is going to be minimal, especially with meth injection, which will do most of the cooling at high loads...

Of course they're better if you have big plans... but that's not his intention, and not what he asked.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
He is correct with my intentions. Why spend upwards of $800 on a TMIC if the gains are relatively minor AND there is not detriment to running the car - but certainly understand others POV.

What is compelling is that I may be able to run the meth on the stock setup(including the Stage 2) from what many have been saying. That and a custom tune to go with it.

Don't stop now. Keep feeding me more info/advice. Good stuff.

·
pwn n00bs
18,208 Posts
meth will help no matter what, so keep that in mind.

a larger tmic will help and if you do plan to go with a slightly larger turbo, then i would upgrade the tmic to flow more.
like jdm sti said, it's the stop and go traffic that kills it...you need to cover as much as possible for heat retention.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Before making any investment, I wanted to get some advice from others on replacing the stock TMIC on the 08 Sti. In particular, I am thinking about running a direct meth injection too. I had some work done from AMR (stage 1) and the car runs great. Looking at doing a stage 2 with them but am also considering replacing the stock TMIC with theirs. I'm not interested in going with a FMIC (too much tubing) but want to lower the intake charge as much as possible. Will an aftermarket TMIC be effective for this? Keeping in mind expandability. At some point I may replace the stock turbo with a slightly larger one - but not now.

I do not have a goal whp in mind. Just looking to make small, incremental modifications little at a time.

Thoughts?
any larger top mount that is spec'd to flow higher than the stock will be fine, however Ive never seen an aftermarket unit seal as well as stock. you lose efficiency there. I would go with one that is the same width and depth so you can utilize the stock gasket, but find one that has a very thick core. Id rather have cooling.

my stock mr2 turbo intercooler, while it was big enough for the power level I was at, it did not get enough air. I measured the output temp with my fluke meter. at the end of the quarter, charge temps were over 190 degrees F. when i replaced the side panel with a temp scoop, temps got down to 110.

going larger side to side is just wasting space if it's not getting cool air. you're trading off flow for cooling.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Well again it depends right? It depends on the flow of the TMIC and the amount of heat it really dissipates. In general, the longer the air has to flow through the TMIC, the more turbo lag to reach boost so I agree with that.

But as others have said, a really good TMIC can help with the heat (when moving, that was a good point) which is always a good thing (albeit with his setup may have little gains).

In general I think the advice should be TMIC or FMIC or both if you plan to do a turbo swap otherwise you spend your money somewhere else.

I agree 100%.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts