IW STi Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw someone say that he knew of an aftermarket DCCD/controller that would let you get a wider range of customization.. like closer to 100% to the rear wheels. This sounds like it could be fun for 'certain' situations. :wink:

Is this true? Can someone post links?

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Group Buy Inquiry

Hmmm...sounds fishy. The 'control' of the DCCD is nothing more than the thumbwheel that changes the current flow to the electromagnet(s) in the system, but to change the redistribution of torque....that would take some serious rework.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Re: Silver/Silver in Maine

This product does not seem likely. The DCCD controls the amout of lock in the center differential (as stated in the nasioc thread above). If it is open then that's as far as it can go so I don't know how you can hope to change the torque split without changing the gearing inside the differentials.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
WARNING: do not shop at Expressautoparts.com!

i dunno enough about this to contribute anything, but with the ebrake, you go to 100/0, don't you. getting the reverse, 0/100 is another issue.

·
retired mod
4,012 Posts
it is availible, one company i know of is graham goode racing in the UK sold them for the old shape imprezas, dont know if they got one out for the new shape. the HKS R33 AWD drag car uses one to complete a burnout on rear wheel only.

·
Registered
146 Posts
4MLA1FN said:
i dunno enough about this to contribute anything, but with the ebrake, you go to 100/0, don't you. getting the reverse, 0/100 is another issue.
It is my understanding that engaging the ebrake accomplishes the same thing as setting the DCCD to manual and dialing it all the way to the rear. This sets the center diff to 100% open. It does not change torque split as that is constant, being set by the internal gearing of the transmission.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
There is like a 12 page thread on NASIOC that goes very in depth into the unit. The thread above was well before we had the unit here in the states and it describes a completely different system than we have here. That thread discusses a hydrolic clutch system....ours is EM actuated.

And yes, the handbrake only opens the differential. Read that monster thread on NASIOC for all the discussions on torque vs power you can handle.

M

·
0 Posts
As far as I am aware, it is impossible to put all the bias to the front or the rear.

I seem to remember that even with the diff 100% open, it only puts like 65% of the torque to the back.

*edited for accuracy, :D

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
True...but with the wrong word 'power'. There is a difference between power and torque. The gearing of the planetary gearset can never be changed (35/65) but the torque can be transferred.

Here's the linky..... http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=358602

The last few pages are the best. If you get lost there, start back sooner. This gets pretty heated.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts