IW STi Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone recommend an alternative to the stock clutch? Dealership is going to have to replace the stock one so I figure I'd upgrade. I don't want any vibration as the car is my daily driver, just something a little better than stock. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
Dan has said a lot of good about the ACT carbon carbon clutches... expensive, but very nice. I really want a triple plate :( , but no dough so no go :(

Robert~

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do they make a sti specific clutch for the 6mt? I want the clutch to be more heavy duty but with no vibration. Just as smooth as stock, more clutch pedal force is ok.

Steve

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
yes , they are supposed to be the first ones available, he has the triple plate set in his STi he does tests and such on. holds up to 1000hp and is just as easy to use as stock or so he says.. the only problem is the $2000 cost :(... buts its rebuildable.

Robert~

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
i havent heard about them... i just like the carbon carbon idea, as it holds TONS of hp, weighs like 12lbs total, and is rebuildable for cheap im sure. as you just replace the discs... very high quality stuff... sorry my internet shut out, so i just updated my last post with different info i meant to put in the first time.

Robert~

·
Registered
357 Posts
Robert I use ATS carbon clutch. ACT does not posess carbon technology. Only ATS, OS Giken, Tilton and RPS have carbon technology and only ATS has them available for the STi and EVO as well as 350Z. i use a triple plate as it is easier to drive than the single or twin but the drawback is that it is more expensive. They are the most robust and smoothest 1000+ clutches I've ever used.

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
LOL... my apologies, thats what I meant. I just had ACT on the brain... yes , listen to dan and swap ACT for ATS up there. Sorry about that ;)

How bad do the 3 rattle (from best to worst) and how hard are they to drive (from best to worst)... im IN the market for one... as Im probably going to do taht before UTEC... so any info would be great!

Robert~

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Dan,
If i put a single plate clutch in my sti will there be any differences beside more clutch pedal force? I don't want any vibration or shudder. I also want it to be smooth as it's my daily driver. The dealer thinks it's a bad idea but they're not exactly unbias, as they would like to sell me a stock clutch for 1200.00. What is the return policy on the clutch if I'm not happy.

Steve

·
Registered
357 Posts
Robert, only the twin and triple plate rattle and only when you push in the clutch. The plates make noise against one another. If you have a radio I doubt you'd hear it but I don't have one and have stock exhaust so car is very quiet.
Steve, I try to guide you the best I can as to something you will be happy with but in terms of returning a clutch after you've used it, no company in the world lets you do that. The single plates may have some shudder in 1st gear as they use a 3 puck design albeit much less than say an Exedy Hyper Single. The twin and triple do not have any shudder due to solid disc. They do make an even more street friendly "soft" version of the twin and triple which is super easy to drive but you do give up quite a bit of holding capacity. It decreases power capacity to 500 HP in twin and 800 HP in triple plate versions respectively. If you don't plan on more than 500 HP, perhaps a twin plate soft version may be best for you. No shudder, easy to modulate, pedal pressure is stiffer but still drivable on the street and shoudl last a long time.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts