IW STi Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know a lot of people just delete the air pump, but I decided to keep it. When attempting to replace the frozen stock air vales, I ordered the following:

Secondary Air Injection Check Valve Set R + L fits 06-14 Subaru Impreza 2.5L

The diameters are different than stock. Has anyone ordered these and noted any difference on the barometric pressure reading (a change in diameter should affect velocity, which should affect pressure)? Has anyone mixed stock with aftermarket?

The aftermarket diameter was 15.83 mm while the stock was 16.02 mm.

·
Premium Member
5,330 Posts
It's not metered air . . .

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What do you mean? Isn't the 5 wire valve supposed to be measuring barometric pressure? The lower two wires are supposed to open the valve. I assume the other three wires form some sort of voltage divider. People always talk about leaving one of them in place for measuring pressure.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am confused - hPeople always talk about leaving one of them bolted in place for measuring pressure. Isn't the 5 wire valve supposed to be measuring barometric pressure? The lower two wires are supposed to open the valve. I assume the other three wires form some sort of voltage divider.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I know a lot of people just delete the air pump, but I decided to keep it. When attempting to replace the frozen stock air vales, I ordered the following:

Secondary Air Injection Check Valve Set R + L fits 06-14 Subaru Impreza 2.5L

The diameters are different than stock. Has anyone ordered these and noted any difference on the barometric pressure reading (a change in diameter should affect velocity, which should affect pressure)? Has anyone mixed stock with aftermarket?

The aftermarket diameter was 15.83 mm while the stock was 16.02 mm.
Call dealership set up appointment FREE This is a recall item now. I had block off plates installed then 6 months later I got the notice. Subaru is aware or now admit the relay gets fried screws up the valves. It started fires so they had to admit it there was a problem if I had replaced it with working parts they would reimburse me. No recourse as I ripped them out. Even if you decide to do the install which I dont recommend you can get your money back for the parts. If I can find the recall notice I will take a picture of it. I think I tossed it though.

·
Premium Member
5,330 Posts
I am confused - hPeople always talk about leaving one of them bolted in place for measuring pressure. Isn't the 5 wire valve supposed to be measuring barometric pressure? The lower two wires are supposed to open the valve. I assume the other three wires form some sort of voltage divider.
Anyone feel free to confirm or correct me, cause this is an assumption of sorts. The valves are just solenoids with some sort of position sensing so the ECU knows they are operating properly.

Bored at work so here you go Palomino. Notice last sentence at bottom phone number and reference.
Subaru Recall Issued Over Air Pump Overheating, Fire Risk - AboutLawsuits.com
:)

·
Super Moderator
8,408 Posts
Anyone feel free to confirm or correct me, cause this is an assumption of sorts. The valves are just solenoids with some sort of position sensing so the ECU knows they are operating properly.

:)
A size difference in measuring air pressure do not directly correlate (output of said device can be whatever the manufacturer wants it to be). And since it takes unmetered air and throws it into the exhaust, the small size difference won't mean anything here either.

Personally, I'd rip it all out.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just an update. The aftermarket valves failed within about a year. I documented the exact mileage in my logbook. The barometric pressure sensor is reading low. Failed sensor? Failed connector? I am not sure. the connector didn't fit well and got a bit of water in it. I need to get a stock one and see if it gets a sensible value.

·
Registered
342 Posts
without testing it I would think bad sensor...I was in the same boat as above, just take it out, keep the OE sensor (break it off the whole assembly, basically just keep the top part) and get a protune to tune it out

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think I might have tossed the OE sensor, unfortunately. Now I need to find another one.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I did notice that the AC Delco 214-2146 Air Injection Check Valve looks like it may have the same plug and he air Inject Check Valve H617TV for Cadillac DTS 2006. Wonder if they interchange?

·
Registered
342 Posts
cost...a lot of companies share these products...its funny how many vehicles have Mitsubishi parts on them! it tends to cost more to redesign something than to use the same part from another vehicle that already works, eg headlight bulbs

1 - 15 of 15 Posts