IW STi Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im in the middle of building/installing a new engine in my GR STI and have almost run out of budget before realizing i forgot to upgrade the fuel system. i have Cobb/ID 1050x injectors and AEM 320lph pump on stock fuel lines/rails/etc. car made 360/350 IIRC but everything is coming out in favor of an IAG S3+ shortblock and new OEM heads with GSC valves, springs and S2 cams. TGV deletes, air pump deletes, EL header, ACT 6 puck sprung, and FP Black are also in the mail...

whats the safe limit of the stock fuel system on the upgraded pump/injectors?

FIC calculator says 633 crank hp at 95% duty cycle, but i feel like they are leaving out a lot of variables.

·
Premium Member
5,388 Posts
93 or E85 ?

Your def over to max out your build with E85. Pretty sure even your injectors aren't what most would suggest. Your build and 71lbs/min surely deserves more, substantially more.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Well if your going to be building for power you might as well upgrade rails and lines. You're going with FP black so im sure you'll be cranking up the boost. Even on 93 i think you will be maxing out those ID 1050's with your planned set up. It would be a shame to be limited by something like injectors. I would say mayb go up to ID1300's - 1700s. If you ever plan on going for E85 you will definetly need bigger than 1050's to make the most out of your turbo.

I think ill let some of the other big power guys chime in here. They would have a little more knowledge on this based on experience.

·
Registered
680 Posts
im not big power but I do have a built engine.

you have moderately to significantly underestimate your fuel system.

my dom 3 a 55lb/min turbo is about 50 % on pump and 75% on e85 on id1300 injectors.

I think you need to go rails lines and fpr if you want to push some significant power.

also your pump is probably going to be over maxed.

I'd call your tuner and ask his recommendations.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
5,388 Posts
OP: I'm not writing this to be critical. I it writing as a caution to/for you.

No knowledgeable owner/builder would just forget to appropriately upgrade their fuel system for a 71lb/min turbo. The fuel system needs wiring, lines, regulator, pump(s?). I'd do an aftermarket controller and rails too. That's a bunch of money in itself.

The real question and reason I'm writing is to suggest you get confirmation from someone very very knowledgeable about the whole build. What are you doing with waste-gate and even BPV? inter-cooler, headers? . . . do you know what boost you expect to run?

. . . a 71lb/min turbo will absolutely suck in very way if it's not supported, and cant reach boost at a reasonable rpm, and then can't make the power it ought to, even when it does . . .

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i dont have a problem in spending the money im just looking for what my limits are on the 1050s and single 320 pump, as i will need to break in the engine and wont be able to tune until mid January, by which i should have received a whole slew of upgrades from Radium Engineering(researching now)

·
Premium Member
5,388 Posts
1050's could get you over 400 - if it were supported - which we have some evidence of. Seems more likely the glass is half empty. Money alone wont' even get you a running engine unless someone else is doin the work - in which case you don't need us.

Lack of knowledge observed, followed by denial . . .

I'm out.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
while there is a certain lack of knowledge(which is why im asking questions), there is absolutely no denial. im fully aware that i dropped the ball and have accepted the fact that i need to upgrade. what i dont understand though is what is needed to support the mods after break-in(starting a new thread).

im also aware that money alone doesn't build cars, but since you'd mentioned that properly upgrading the fuel system is "a bunch of money in itself" i figured i would clarify that im not broke, just nearing the end of my budget. who stays within budget, right? lol

·
Registered
680 Posts
I mean you can break in the engine with what you had.

but it would likely be a whole new tune.

while you are looking at radium stuff look at their in tank setup. when running a larger pump you might get feedback pressure. (pressurized return line)

I know I did.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
Power wise I've seen the stock fuel lines hold up to 450HP on dynojet.... regardless if you have pump and injectors. So if you're looking for more than 450HP then you may need to upgrade.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts