IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I have a prob. I just installed my AEM Short ram intake, and it is super loud. It makes a shhhhhhhhh sound when i step on it, and then a fluttering sound when i take my foot off. The shhhhhh sound is REALLY loud. Is this normal????

Shane

·
So Gangster It Hurts
3,521 Posts
Hmmm. . . the cold air intakes usually produce a nice deep Shooosh like that. . . at least on my mere mortal Vic. . . but the short rams will typically make your intake and exhaust noise much more pronounced. Reason being, is you've removed the intake resonator which normally keeps those sounds to a minimum. :)

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
04_WRX_STi said:
Hi. I have a prob. I just installed my AEM Short ram intake, and it is super loud. It makes a shhhhhhhhh sound when i step on it, and then a fluttering sound when i take my foot off. The shhhhhh sound is REALLY loud. Is this normal????

Shane
this is normal, you'll hear it on any NA car around 4.5k rpms + with a k&n and such, but since the turbo is pulling in so much air, you'll hear it much sooner with an aftermarket filter ona turbo car. The flutter is from the wastegate. To fix this get a boost controller (with mbc it will just shut the wastegate off til set boost, and with ebc you can program when the wastegate opens). i know the turbo xs HPBC i have for sale fixes this. All you hear is the turbo spool up and then silence :) no flutter or anything. No recoil either like 100% vent AM bovs.

Robert~

·
Registered
759 Posts
I think that your are hearing the turbo and wastegate for the first time. My guess is that a short ram alone would not give you problems. How is the performance?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good performance. Yah could be hearing it. I've had the car for 2 weeks , and just put on the intake today. Was just wondering why sooooooo loud. Thanks for the help guys, as this is my first turbo car.

Much appreciated!

Shane :D

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
o, then ya hummer is right, it is the turbo probably. Because you had to remove the intake silencer and that opened up the car's turbo for the first time as you wouldnt hear the turbo before (hence why its called a silencer ;) ). Enjoy!

rObert~

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
GMAC Car-Loan Rates Marked Up More for Blacks

So the shortram should have more affect on performance then the CAI.

Shane

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
I think you guys might be meaning the bypass valve, not the wastegate. The wastegate is in the turbine housing and exits to the exhaust stream. You shouldn't be hearing that in the intake. The bypass valve from the IC routes back into the intake stream however.....that's the WHOOOSH you hear when getting out of the throttle.

The turbo makes almost a whistling sound when under load.....so some of your noises are the intake and some are the turbo/bypass valve.

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
i think we meant wastegate as in teh wastegate flutter. If you use a MBC and such i believe it closes it off until set boost and therefore no more flutter. ?? im not 100% sure, but I think thats what we're talkina bout.

Robert~

·
Registered
357 Posts
04_WRX_STi said:
So the shortram should have more affect on performance then the CAI.

Shane
Yes a short ram is better for performance on a turbo car. The best intake I have ever tested is the Blitz SUS intake. I have seen many bad intakes that cause wierd fluctuation in the AF chart on the dyno. Cold airs are the worst though.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Perrin short intake for STI

Yeah that woosh is extremely loud, but I just installed the Perrin intake and I feel that i lost a great deal of torque in 5th and 6th gear,the charger feels like it takes longer to spool up now. Is it because it needs an exhaust as well. It sort of makes sense. More air coming in you need to make so more air can exit?

·
Registered
344 Posts
sub-woofer not working??

Hi All,

I have a question about air filter upgrades. Any help from Dan @ God will
be especially appreciated !

My question is, has anyone ever fried boxing off an area under the hood with the open-element air filter (like the Blitz) in it and then feeding air to the box ? I am a bit concerned about sucking in all that underhood hot air.

What about using a drop-in K&N withthe factory airbox and then just
using a velocity staclk with a 3" throat to pull air in from the fender ?
(bypassing the whole snorkel assembly) Has anyone dynoe tested this
kind of set up ? I am a little leary about sucking in water like this, though.

The under the hood setup seems safer to me, but the hot air will likely
negate any benefit the filter would otherwise give.

-Brian

·
Registered
6 Posts
sti upipe

Sucking in warm air from the engine bay is no problem. Because you have an intercooler to cool the charge air before it reach the throttle body anyway.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Tire storage

IMO... a CAI is not necessary for a turbo car!
reason being is that no matter how cold the air is, once it enters the turbo, it will become very hot! And you want the turbo to be running at warmer temp, not frezing ass cold!
And then it enters the Intercooler, which does most of the cooling of air!
Also, the shorter distance air travels, the better it is!

that's why when people ask me, "why didn't you put CAI instead of that short little thing!"
I just answer, "what da hell would be the point of that big ass scoop and intercooler!"

it all goes back to the same point as, would you want the engine running cold, or running warm!

·
Registered
6 Posts
even if you suck in the cold air from the fender, the are still have to travel through the intake tube. the tube is right next to the engine block. you think the air will still be cold by that time. i don't think so.

·
Registered
347 Posts
There is no way a CAI will make the engine too cold. NA engines that don't have anything to warm up the intake air still use radiators because of the heat generated by burning fuel. Plus, some STi owners are already using water and alcohol injection to lower intake temps. The fact is that, all other things being equal, cooler intake air will allow the engine to produce more power.

So, does a CAI create cooler intake temperatures? I have not seen any reasons given here (that are based on actual physics) to think it wouldn't. I am also aware that since a CAI is a different shape, that other factors may be involved in determining which form of intake will help any given car produce the most power. There are other factors that must work in conjuction with the intake, such as the turbo, the exhaust, and the ECU (which must always be tuned for the specific components in use). Not only that, but alot depends on what you are wanting performance-wise: low-end torque, high-end power, good even power accross the entire rev range? The engine must be tuned differently for each different scenario, and changing the intake is part of the tuning.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Temperature is irrelevant. Remember you want the shortest path to the turbo inlet possible. Also, the tubing itself can cause wild fluctuations in the airflow at certain RPM's due to resonance frequencies. It is widely understod that cold air intakes are only suitable for Hondas and other MAP based NA cars.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Temperature is NOT irrelevant. It may not be as important in the intake stage as after it passes through the turbo, but it is NOT irrelevant. Any additional energy that starts in the air mass flowing through the engine is going to stay with it, meaning that the intercooler has to work even harder (and air coming out of it will be warmer), and that the turbo will be warmer. Neither of which, I think, is a good thing.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts