IW STi Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to do an intake for my first mod, i went to site looking at prices, and all the sites i went to seem to say the cold air is better, yet i heard a lot about the short ram, any adivce?

Also, at what miles is it safe to start modding the car (if that matters)

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ah, and if anyone likes a different short ram or cold air (perrin, apexi, etc) please fill me in :)

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
Short rams vs CAIs have been discussed about before, so you might wanna search, but short rams are better. The shorter the intake path the better, besides as hot as the engine bay gets your air isnt going to be cold by the time it gets to the turbo anyways (the whole reason we have Intercoolers).

Robert~

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
staticx313 said:
Short rams vs CAIs have been discussed about before, so you might wanna search, but short rams are better. The shorter the intake path the better, besides as hot as the engine bay gets your air isnt going to be cold by the time it gets to the turbo anyways (the whole reason we have Intercoolers).

Robert~
What brand do you suggest?

·
Registered
270 Posts
i'm going to go out on a limb and say Static is gonna say uh.....Perrin. :lol:
ooh ooh what do i win??

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
Klunking

STi_high said:
i'm going to go out on a limb and say Static is gonna say uh.....Perrin. :lol:
ooh ooh what do i win??
lol I figured someone might say that. I'd suggest perrin/blitz sus. Its up to you. $250 for a dang filter is steep though (blitz), which is the reason I went with perrin. That and technically the SUS is a stainless steel mesh... not a filter, but *shrug* its up to you. That and i wanted to complete the blue on my intake (had the perrin blue inlet hose as well).

Robert~

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I heard perrin is all silicon, isn't that not the greatest thing to use as an intake in terms of air flow?

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
I thought silicon was good, i mean metal or aluminum might be X% better flow/pressure wise, but it works as a heat soak, so it'd actually probably hurt hp. The perrin Sillicon is VERY smooth and is 5ply thick, very nice pieces.

Robert~

·
Registered
304 Posts
Besides the heat soak thing which might be a good point, steel mesh does not have a good history of being able to filter well. I dont know if Blitz fixed it, but there is a filter test going around showing it performing poorly in the filtering department.

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
Yes , at www.mkiv.com - they did a test for the supra on the apex, k&n, blitz, and hks foam things. Apex - #1, K&N - #2, Blitz - #3 (did poor), and hks - #4 (did worst).

Robert~

·
Registered
316 Posts
I'm running the TurboXs intake setup and I'm very satisfied with it. From what I have read the temperature difference between a cold air or a short intake once it hits the turbo and intercooler is 4-6 degrees cooler at the manifold for the cold air setup. Thats not much cooler, and there is more resistance on airflow with more piping. It seems to pay off for non turbo charged engine. Unfortunately we have turbos.(haha) --Sin52

1 - 12 of 12 Posts