IW STi Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't decide on which size to choose. I autocross about once a month and could use the benefit of a wider tire but Yokohama only offers 45 sidewall in 225's.
As we know the second gear in our sti's are short but I'm really tempted to get the benefits of a wider tire.
Will the width of the 245/40/17 outweigh the gearing with the shorter sidewall or will it not make all that difference?

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
I have the 245's and absolutely love them!! I have about 30+ laps on the Ring and they perform awesome!!

Have you checked the new Potenza's RE01R's? Those are suppose to compete with the AD07's.

Hawaii_guy

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
IIRC, one of the magazines had the Advans outperforming the REO1R's in dry weather a few months back and I've been wanting ever since. I've also read alot of good reviews on the Advans.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
I too have read lots of good reviews, that's why I forked out the dough...:D

Here is the thread I started in regards to tire pressures for the AD07's if you go that route.:)

Let us know what you decide.

Hawaii_guy

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes indeed, that's some serious dough for some tires but I'm looking for maximum performance. I have to build up enough courage to pull the trigger though. I'm so curious to see how they perform in autocross. Thanks for the link to your thread.

Anymore thoughts, anyone?

·
Registered
800 Posts
SpeedFactory said:
IIRC, one of the magazines had the Advans outperforming the REO1R's in dry weather a few months back and I've been wanting ever since. I've also read alot of good reviews on the Advans.
hmm do you happen to know what magazine did the testing?

i only ask because for alot of the testing in japan the re01r is the tire of choice due to its consistancy from begining to end.

ad07s have been out longer hence so many good reviews. im not knockin ad07s as thats going to be my next tire for my stock bbs.

·
Registered
969 Posts
SpeedFactory said:
Tireracks testing proves otherwise. .98g's for the Neova and .99g's for the RE01R on the skidpad (IIRC). Also the RE01R got the highest recorded g-force ever recorded for a street tire on the tirerack test vehicle on the race track, at 1.003g's. However most of the drivers at tirerack were faster on the Neovas by about 0.1-0.2 seconds.

·
Registered
3,816 Posts
225/45/17 has a similar aspect ratio compared to a 245/40/17. The middle number is a ratio compared to the sectional width (225 or 245). If you want to maximize and improve the STi's already short gearing, I would suggest a 245/45/17. The one that comes to mind is the Falken Azenis RT615. Get them from vulcantire.com or edgeracing.com for about half of either the 070 or Advan Neova

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I believe I read the article in car and driver.

I will do some more research on the REO1R. They certainly have the 245/45/17 size I want, which is the maximum width allowable in STU.

As for the Falkens, I'm not sure they are much grippier than the stock REO70s. I'm willing to buy the best tire money can by which I narrowed down to the Yokohama and Bridgestone. I need alot more grip.

Thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
3,816 Posts
SpeedFactory said:
I believe I read the article in car and driver.

I will do some more research on the REO1R. They certainly have the 245/45/17 size I want, which is the maximum width allowable in STU.

As for the Falkens, I'm not sure they are much grippier than the stock REO70s. I'm willing to buy the best tire money can by which I narrowed down to the Yokohama and Bridgestone.
Thanks for the replies.
The REALLY competitive STU drivers are using the Advans or the RE01Rs and shaving them for competition use. For your use though, I would really look into the 245/45/17 size.

I need alot more grip.
Why do you need "a lot more grip" than the 070s or even the RT615s? In all honesty there is the law of limiting returns with either the Yoko or the Bridgestones. The only real reason I'd buy the Advans is b/c they have the widest tread width over the RE01Rs or the RT615s. In your case though, you'd want the 245/45 for gearing, which leaves the RE01Rs and the RT615s and for the price to performance ratio the RT615s are the better buy.

Not sure how setup your car is for STU, but if you're not into the sport on a SERIOUSLY competitive level and your car isn't setup to the max, the extra .4" width from the Advans won't matter all that much, nor will the possible grip advantage (not proven) help you at all.

·
Registered
4,545 Posts
^ I pretty much concur with that.... unless you are really into autox or whatnot you can justify the extra $$$ for the neova or the re01r, otherwise maybe getting the already DAMN good RE070/RT615/RS2 is plenty fine, the RE070 can be gotten as takeoffs cheap and the RT615 and Hankook are cheap new.

We just dont wanna see people spend too much $$ without really needing it, you know what I mean? Also a lot of people like the advan neova in autox cause yokohama pays contingency $ if you win on em @ national/prosolo events and whatnot ;)

·
Registered
586 Posts
I'm also looking into the yoko advan neova ad07 as my summer tire once (if) I get a 2nd pair of rims. I'm mainly looking into these tires because they handle great in the dry and supposedly have better wet handling and hydroplane resistance than the re070 and rt-615.

I don't auto-x or anything, so am I wasting my money on these? Do any other summer tires compare when it comes to dry and wet capabilities?

·
Registered
4,545 Posts
^ If you are looking for a tire that is good in the wet and dry the hankook RS2 is really good so I hear, only downside with that tire I have heard is the fact that its sidewall is a bit soft. (but, then again everything is compared to the RE070)

I havnt heard much bad about the way the RT615 handles in the wet, and to be honest, I didnt have much complaints about the RE070 in the wet until it was worn really bad.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
586 Posts
AndrewSS said:
^ If you are looking for a tire that is good in the wet and dry the hankook RS2 is really good so I hear, only downside with that tire I have heard is the fact that its sidewall is a bit soft. (but, then again everything is compared to the RE070)

I havnt heard much bad about the way the RT615 handles in the wet, and to be honest, I didnt have much complaints about the RE070 in the wet until it was worn really bad.

Hope that helps.
Thanks for the info. I'll have to look into the hankooks, where can you get 'em cheap?

I had hydroplane issues with the re070s during a big storm, otherwise they were a great summer tire.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
For the record, I've been hooked on autocross since the start of this year and I drive my STI only on weekends. Yes, it's a hobby for me. Some months I do two events and some months I do one. I have a pretty good amount of suspension mods and was looking for more grip from a good set of tires which I narrowed down to two brands. While I appreciate the advice on the cheaper tires, I've already narrowed down the tires I want as indicated by the title of this thread and REO1Rs, since they were my second choice and carry the size I need. If I could shave off any time whether it be big or small, then it would be worth every penny I payed.

I was hoping to get feedback from people running a shorter sidewall tire in autocross.

·
Registered
4,545 Posts
^ Ok well then get the 245/40/17 ;)

It is best on a wider wheel but it fit the stock 17x8 for me pretty good, I am moving to a 17x9 over the winter for next season though :D

·
Registered
3,816 Posts
SpeedFactory said:
For the record, I've been hooked on autocross since the start of this year and I drive my STI only on weekends. Yes, it's a hobby for me. Some months I do two events and some months I do one. I have a pretty good amount of suspension mods and was looking for more grip from a good set of tires which I narrowed down to two brands. While I appreciate the advice on the cheaper tires, I've already narrowed down the tires I want as indicated by the title of this thread and REO1Rs, since they were my second choice and carry the size I need. If I could shave off any time whether it be big or small, then it would be worth every penny I payed.

I was hoping to get feedback from people running a shorter sidewall tire in autocross.
Understood and wasn't trying to say you don't "need" a different tire. Both the AD07s and RE01Rs are excellent choices (money be darned). The AD07s are actually a bit wider in the same size then any other ultra performance street tire.

WRT shorter sidewalls for gearing, I would still stick with a 245/45 on an AutoX course with the STi. Even on shorter course I routinely hit the rev limiter and on longer courses it was only worse.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts