IW STi Forum banner
61 - 68 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I did basically the same thing to my 2018 STI, (at the recommendation of COBB) added their access port, air intake and downpipe. Then when I looked for a proper map that was supposed to be on the port or their site, I didn’t see one that referred specifically to an intake + downpipe. I contacted COBB and was told that to run both intake and Dp would require a (stage 3) $1600 fueling upgrade. Additionally no maps were available for the changes (they initially suggested). I am running a stage 2 hwy tune and it seems fine, but if there’s a better map that once was in circulation I would love to know its ID. (I am not interested in going to stage 3.) Otherwise I may have to go back to the stock intake, if the current setup is potentially damaging as COBB inferred. Any information on any of this would be much appreciated. I really was impressed by the cob hardware but I’m not too happy with their inconsistent advice.
Thanks, Lance

·
Registered
76 Posts
I did basically the same thing to my 2018 STI, (at the recommendation of COBB) added their access port, air intake and downpipe. Then when I looked for a proper map that was supposed to be on the port or their site, I didn’t see one that referred specifically to an intake + downpipe. I contacted COBB and was told that to run both intake and Dp would require a (stage 3) $1600 fueling upgrade. Additionally no maps were available for the changes (they initially suggested). I am running a stage 2 hwy tune and it seems fine, but if there’s a better map that once was in circulation I would love to know its ID. (I am not interested in going to stage 3.) Otherwise I may have to go back to the stock intake, if the current setup is potentially damaging as COBB inferred. Any information on any of this would be much appreciated. I really was impressed by the cob hardware but I’m not too happy with their inconsistent advice.
Thanks, Lance
Do you have anywhere close to you that can do a custom tune?

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Do you have anywhere close to you that can do a custom tune?

I expect there is such a service, I just haven’t taken that step. I’m holding out for a possible link to a map that was noted in this discussion. I am also a bit reluctant to spend a lot more money or time on this if there’s a tune already available or if the solution is to remove the sf air intake and just run with the downpipe. Is it worth the effort or is the current set up truly damaging?

·
Registered
76 Posts
I expect there is such a service, I just haven’t taken that step. I’m holding out for a possible link to a map that was noted in this discussion. I am also a bit reluctant to spend a lot more money or time on this if there’s a tune already available or if the solution is to remove the sf air intake and just run with the downpipe. Is it worth the effort or is the current set up truly damaging?
I would say if Cobb doesn't support it, then I wouldn't run it with a standard off the shelf tune. If I were you I would either remove the airbox and sell it, or spend a few hundred on a protune that will be lights out better than an off the shelf tune.

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
I would highly recommend you go back to the stock intake. COBB maps that supported aftermarket intakes stopped in 2012-2013. They had hinted atbringing it back, but instead they brought in their training program to complete custom tunes. The intake can make you run lean in cold weather or at different altitudes. If I ever get into another STI, I'll be sticking with the stock intake.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Reading through this thread I'm still a bit conflicted myself on whether to move forward with getting fueling upgrades or not for my 19 STI. Currently have an Invidia catted downpipe and Cobb SF intake installed with an e-tune by a reputable tuner for the platform. I live in a warm climate year round and only put about 3-5K miles on my car a year. They don't seem too concerned about upgrading any fueling unless I plan on trying to make additional power, which I'm not (at least not in the near future). I'm just worried about the reliability aspect.

Looking at my logs, my IDCs never surpassed 96% while at WOT in both 3rd and 4th gear. And it only surpassed 80% in non-normal driving conditions (4700+ rpm). At this point I don't know whether to side with my tuner or with all those in forums/reddit/youtube/etc. saying that you need injectors + a fuel pump in order to run the downpipe + intake combo on 15+ STIs.

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
Reading through this thread I'm still a bit conflicted myself on whether to move forward with getting fueling upgrades or not for my 19 STI. Currently have an Invidia catted downpipe and Cobb SF intake installed with an e-tune by a reputable tuner for the platform. I live in a warm climate year round and only put about 3-5K miles on my car a year. They don't seem too concerned about upgrading any fueling unless I plan on trying to make additional power, which I'm not (at least not in the near future). I'm just worried about the reliability aspect.

Looking at my logs, my IDCs never surpassed 96% while at WOT in both 3rd and 4th gear. And it only surpassed 80% in non-normal driving conditions (4700+ rpm). At this point I don't know whether to side with my tuner or with all those in forums/reddit/youtube/etc. saying that you need injectors + a fuel pump in order to run the downpipe + intake combo on 15+ STIs.
You don't need injectors and fuel pump to run a Stage 2 with intake tune. Upgrade them when/if you're ready to go to the next step. Listen to your tuner.

61 - 68 of 68 Posts