Super Moderator
10,691 Posts
Re: Adam's adventures of a severely abused '04 STi. Engine is out :(

Great news! Merry Christmas!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
Re: Adam's adventures of a severely abused '04 STi. It runs again!

I got the p/s leak taken care of, still dribbles coolant but if that's my only issue I'm happy with that. I drove it up and down the street tonight and it runs and drives beautifully. I will get the oil changed in the next couple days and then jump on that leak. I need to replace a wheel bearing and get it inspected before I do much driving, but over all I'm extremely pleased. I bought myself a 20 ton shop press so I can tackle the wheel bearing myself this time. Any excuse for more tools!

·
Registered
901 Posts

Despite the coolant leak that's good news!
Good luck with fixing it and then enjoy driving it :cool::tup:

And yes, buy all the tools :D
I just bought a battery driven impact gun :lol:

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #65 (Edited)

After fixing up a few small things I was able to get the car inspected today! So far I've put about 200 miles since the rebuild and besides a few small hiccups everything is working perfectly.

Here's to the next 100k!

·
Registered
64 Posts

After fixing up a few small things I was able to get the car inspected today! So far I've put about 200 miles since the rebuild and besides a few small hiccups everything is working perfectly.

Image Link

Image Link

Here's to the next 100k!

How hard is it to pull one of these engines and swap everything over by yourself? I might be looking at picking up a full long block that my machine shop can get me for 2800.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #67 (Edited)

How hard is it to pull one of these engines and swap everything over by yourself? I might be looking at picking up a full long block that my machine shop can get me for 2800.
That's kind of difficult to say, it really depends on your experience. In general I would say it is not too hard to pull. Subaru designed the engine wiring harness really well so you just unplug the two connectors by the battery and the two connectors by the boost solenoid and everything else stays on the engine. I made sure to tape labels on all of my connectors, vacuum hoses and fuel lines as well as took pictures of the vacuum line routing once I had the long block on the stand. If you've got enough space, access to the tools and a factory service manual I'd definitely recommend doing it yourself because it is the best way to become familiar with all of the components in your engine bay. I now know where all my sensors, vacuum lines and wiring are where I would have to guess or search the internet before.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #68 (Edited)
Re: Adam's adventures of a severely abused '04 STi. Back on the road!

Possible issue: Coolant in my oil. I've crossposted this from the technical forum.

So I'm at ~850 miles so far and everything up to this point has been great. One minor issue of not being able to boost past 8psi after driving for awhile, but then boosting to 16 PSI after shutting down/restarting, most likely unrelated, I'm thinking the boost solenoid is going but will continue to check that out later.

I changed the oil after first warm up an then again at 500 miles and did an engine break in of 500 miles. I had the heads milled and used the Subaru gasket kit with brand new head bolts and followed the FSM for the torquing procedure.

When I changed the oil at 500 miles everything seemed normal until I spun off the oil filter and what drained out of there seemed very thin and more seemed to come out than usual. I caught some with an empty can and sniffed it but the odor and color did not seem to be off. I wrapped up the oil change like normal and figured I'd keep an eye on it. Oil pressure has been ~90-95 on start up and ~26 at warm idle.

Yesterday I went for a drive, checked the oil afterwords and the oil on the dip stick looks green. I wiped it on a cloth and it also had a green tinge to it. I'm definitely not happy but hoping for the best. The turbo center section was new 2 months before I lost a piston.

My thought process is there can only be mixing in 3 spots: oil cooler, turbo or headgaskets. Am I missing something? The turbo still looked perfect when I had it out of the car. I did not buy a new cooler I just transferred it over to the new block with a gasket. The car does not smoke anything and starts, runs and drives completely fine. I checked the upper coolant reservoir and do not see any signs of oil in the coolant. I will be doing a compression test tonight to rule out the head-gasket and sending a sample to blackstone to verify the oil. Any other diagnostic advise in the meantime? Other than the compression test I will not be running the engine until I confirm what's wrong because I'm paranoid I'm going to wipe out my brand new bearings.

·
Registered
64 Posts

Possible issue: crossposting from technical forum.

So I'm at ~850 miles so far and everything up to this point has been great. One minor issue of not being able to boost past 8psi after driving for awhile, but then boosting to 16 PSI after shutting down/restarting, most likely unrelated, I'm thinking the boost solenoid is going but will continue to check that out later.

I changed the oil after first warm up an then again at 500 miles and did an engine break in of 500 miles. I had the heads milled and used the Subaru gasket kit with brand new head bolts and followed the FSM for the torquing procedure.

When I changed the oil at 500 miles everything seemed normal until I spun off the oil filter and what drained out of there seemed very thin and more seemed to come out than usual. I caught some with an empty can and sniffed it but the odor and color did not seem to be off. I wrapped up the oil change like normal and figured I'd keep an eye on it. Oil pressure has been ~90-95 on start up and ~26 at warm idle.

Yesterday I went for a drive, checked the oil afterwords and the oil on the dip stick looks green. I wiped it on a cloth and it also had a green tinge to it. I'm definitely not happy but hoping for the best. The turbo center section was new 2 months before I lost a piston.

My thought process is there can only be mixing in 3 spots: oil cooler, turbo or headgaskets. Am I missing something? The turbo still looked perfect when I had it out of the car. I did not buy a new cooler I just transferred it over to the new block with a gasket. The car does not smoke anything and starts, runs and drives completely fine. I checked the upper coolant reservoir and do not see any signs of oil in the coolant. I will be doing a compression test tonight to rule out the head-gasket and sending a sample to blackstone to verify the oil. Any other diagnostic advise in the meantime? Other than the compression test I will not be running the engine until I confirm what's wrong because I'm paranoid I'm going to wipe out my brand new bearings.

I've heard of this being done on older engines that do not have a bunch of sensors, guys would take a small amount of dye penetrate used for crack detection and put it in there coolant and bring it up to temp. Then drain and inspect the places they though the leak was coming from with a black light. If there is a leak it will glow bright green under the black light. That being said I don't know how it will react with the sensors in the engine. I had a old hot rod builder show me it years ago.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #70

I've heard of this being done on older engines that do not have a bunch of sensors, guys would take a small amount of dye penetrate used for crack detection and put it in there coolant and bring it up to temp. Then drain and inspect the places they though the leak was coming from with a black light. If there is a leak it will glow bright green under the black light. That being said I don't know how it will react with the sensors in the engine. I had a old hot rod builder show me it years ago.
Yeah I've heard of that too. Unfortunately (or fortunately) it is not leaking anything externally, so if there is a problem it is completely internal so I don't think that would work for me. If the compression is good I'll probably just end up replacing the oil cooler. If it's still mixing after that I don't know what I'm going to do.

·
Registered
64 Posts

Yeah I've heard of that too. Unfortunately (or fortunately) it is not leaking anything externally, so if there is a problem it is completely internal so I don't think that would work for me. If the compression is good I'll probably just end up replacing the oil cooler. If it's still mixing after that I don't know what I'm going to do.

You could check each cylinder with a borescope and if it leaking near the cylinder you could see it in there, it could also be a good way to see if there is ring problems since the oil would also have a small amount of the dye in it by then. When you break down the oil cooler you would be able to see if there was any cracks or gasket leaking since there would be a green trail that shows up, and with the turbo if you took it off and broke it down you would also be able to see that green trail. We magnafluxed everything in the military, once you wipe off the excess the cracks will stand out like a sore thumb.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #72

I may just have been paranoid. Compression was 125 across the board dead cold. I checked my dip stick again on my garage under my shop lights and it was a bright golden color, not sure if I was just imagining green before? I feel slightly crazy but then again on a fresh motor I'm just terrified something will go wrong.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts

Coolant in the oil would result in a chocolate milk-looking substance, I would say you're in the clear!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
Well it has been a while now, hasn't it. So my last update was 2/21/17. I drove the car fairly uneventfully until just after the 4th of July weekend last year and blew another piston. I only had about 3k on the block, was on the stock tune with the car is fully stock so I'm unsure what happened. I was driving home from work, on a normal 55mph back road. The car in front of me slowed and turned left opening me to a nice gentle uphill. If I recall I downshifted to 3rd and gave it 3/4ish throttle. Towards 6k something popped and it started mis-firing after that. I limped it home another 5 miles and yanked the motor to find a 3" chuck of piston #4 missing. Not sure where it went. The exhaust valve looks fine. The turbine blades look fine. But I kind of stopped investigating at that point and basically just hung up my hat.

To this day the motor is sitting in my basement on a stand with one head off and one head still on. I ended up leasing a Civic si last November to at least give me something reliable to daily while I figure out what to do with the sti. It's a decent cruiser but it totally sucks in the snow. I also got my beater truck on the road which is good to keep lease miles off the civic, get through deep snow and do general truck stuff but more importantly, if necessary, I can tow the sti anywhere (like if for example I need to get it tuned next spring) and grab any big parts for the build.

At this point I still need to completely disassemble the block to verify the damage and figure out if it is salvageable. The last block had obvious scratches in the cylinder wall. This one did not upon initial inspection (a very angsty, bitter inspection) but if everything is fine I'd like to just put some pistons and rods in it. I have a few other things I'd like to due during this downtime but we'll have to see what happens with the engine first. I am still in research mode however I do have a decent chunk of money set aside that will be the start of the build and I plan to do the majority of work this winter. Wish me luck!

·
Super Moderator
10,691 Posts
JDM 207 and don't look back. JDM Racing for a source.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #77 (Edited)
So that's definitely something I am interested in but I haven't found the best resources about running one in a usdm car. Do I run the short block or the heads too? Would I use my ecu? That place is only about 6 hours away from me, I'll reach out to them and see what they suggest.

61 - 77 of 77 Posts