IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to apologize for this long post, but I really need help in trying to figure this out. I've searched to no avail.

Recently installed a Blitz turbo timer with a harness on my STi using these instructions (for enabling the factory alarm system while the turbo timer is running), and my ABS is now staying on immediately after the install.

Instructions I got from Mach V Motorsports:
Step 1: After installing your turbo timer with the under dash panel off, locate the black relay box on top of the fuse panel. Unbolt 1 (10mm) bolt and cut the Green with Black wire. Tape both ends of the wire and reinstall relay box. Reassemble under dash panel.

Step 2: Remove the panel in front of the armrest by pulling up on the cup holder. Disconnect the power mirror terminal. Locate the wiring terminal for the security system. Cut the Grey Wire. Tape both ends. Reattach power mirror terminal and cup holder panel. Enjoy!

The green wire with the black stripe under the dash leads to the keyless entry relay box, so I doubt that could be the cause. When I pulled the panel with the cup holder out and looked for the gray wire, there were two of them. Thick ones. I checked to see where they led to. One of them led to a harness that wasn't connected to anything. The other one led to a sensor near the back next to the arm rest, with a stamp on it that says "do not disassemble." Since the second gray wire I checked was connected to the sensor, I figured that would be the one, and cut it. Put everything back together and started the car to test the turbo timer, and to see if my alarm would arm with the car still running. It armed, but now the ABS light stayed on. I tried reconnecting the gray wire, but the ABS light still stays on.

Any idea what the cause would be? What exactly is that sensor for? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
212 Posts
First I'd check the ABS fuse in the fuse panel near your left knee.
There is a fuse table on the back of the panel you need to pop out, but I believe it is #20 and it is a 20A, yellow mini, fuse. If it is blown there is a spear in the fuse box cover under the hood on the drivers side near the washer resorvoir. BTW, you will need the "fuse puller" tool from that fuse box anyways, so you might as well start there.

Be sure to disconnect the "-" battery terminal first, before pulling the fuse. I've seen sparks fly and fuses blow when just yanking them out and sticking them in.

While the battery is disconnected, and by the time you check the fuse, the ECU is already likely reset at the same time, so this also takes care of that if that was the case.

If all else fails you may attempt to manually pull the DTC as per Subaru manual...

[/img]

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What to do w/ people who park into your STI??!!

Thanks G-Shock. I checked the fuses and they were both good. I guess I'll check for any loose wires. Then I'll try to pull a code.

·
Registered
219 Posts
imminence said:
I'd like to apologize for this long post, but I really need help in trying to figure this out.
It may not be anything to do w/ your mod(s).

About every 6-8 times I start my STI the ABS and Brake light stay on. I have to reset the ECU to get them off.

Your mod may have just complicated or brought to light an already existing problem.

I am having mine looked at Wed. when I take it for my fog light install.

P.S. I had the problem before I did any mods.

·
Registered
219 Posts
[quote="Stikya

[/quote]
UPDATE:
The service manager told me it was kicking off a couple of "freeze codes", which cause the Brake and ABS light to come on. I had no idea what this meant, but the service manager asked if I had been running it hard. I told him...

I have been keeping it consistently under 3000 RPMs, ocassionally spiking to 3500, since my purchase w/ 7 miles on it.

I asked, "what are all the possible causes for these codes?" He says intense driving or... and then he makes up some crap that doens't sound so harsh... letting the car run for extended periods of time-WHATEVER! Like the car is made to not be driven for an extended period of time?? Cmon'; I'm not an idiot.

I think someone at the dealership molested it before I bought it, so now I'm all paranoid about that.

Either way, they reset the codes, and said the ABS and Brake would stay off.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Stikya said:
[quote="Stikya
REVISED UPDATE:
Dealer shop said all my ECU values (wheel speed, RPMs, etc...) were maxed out. I had them reset the codes, but the lights came back w/in a few days.

I took it to another Subaru shop and they found all the maxed out values again. The mechanic immediately checked my alternator. It was pushing 14+(?) volts constatly. He said he had seen it before, and it will cause all your ECU values to max out and the ABS and Brake light will come on.

They replaced the alternator and reset the codes. NO problems since (it has been 3 weeks now.)

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Stikya said:
Stikya said:
[quote="Stikya
REVISED UPDATE:
Dealer shop said all my ECU values (wheel speed, RPMs, etc...) were maxed out. I had them reset the codes, but the lights came back w/in a few days.

I took it to another Subaru shop and they found all the maxed out values again. The mechanic immediately checked my alternator. It was pushing 14+(?) volts constatly. He said he had seen it before, and it will cause all your ECU values to max out and the ABS and Brake light will come on.

They replaced the alternator and reset the codes. NO problems since (it has been 3 weeks now.)
Thanks for the update! Very odd problem indeed, glad you got it resolved.

-st

·
Registered
32 Posts
My ABS/Brake Light have come on 3 times now since Ive owned it. In fact it happened this morning. I started my car and let it warm up for about 10 minutes. When I got in the lights were on? WTF, the last two times if I drove it for about 5 minutes and then turned it off and started it they would go away. Same today, I drove to 7eleven this morning, got out and bought an energy drink then got in to leave, started her up and voila the lights were gone. This is the 3rd time it has happened to me but seems to be resolved by driving a little then turning the car off and restarting it. Strange, I;m wondering if something is wrong with the car; or if the alternator is bad like stikya. I bought mine in November 03 and it is still stock.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Scooby-Newb said:
My ABS/Brake Light have come on 3 times now since Ive owned it. In fact it happened this morning. I started my car and let it warm up for about 10 minutes. When I got in the lights were on? WTF, the last two times if I drove it for about 5 minutes and then turned it off and started it they would go away. Same today, I drove to 7eleven this morning, got out and bought an energy drink then got in to leave, started her up and voila the lights were gone. This is the 3rd time it has happened to me but seems to be resolved by driving a little then turning the car off and restarting it. Strange, I;m wondering if something is wrong with the car; or if the alternator is bad like stikya. I bought mine in November 03 and it is still stock.
You pretty much have to take that in if you ask me. I don't mess around with brakes : )

-st

·
Registered
20 Posts
Take it in to the dealer. If the ABS light goes on, the system has a problem it will record the fault. Chances are you have a sensor issue. It will not just magically go away, the system is very robust to false detection of faults. Let me/us know what they say or fix.

Scott S. Amenson
AC/ESC4
ESP, ABS and TCS Development
Robert Bosch Corporation

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have the exact same problem. Here's my post on another forum:
Well, mine had a problem since day one: both brake and abs lights would come on when the car is started cold, and they won't go away unless you restart the engine (EBD failure according to the manual).
The dealer pulled a couple of codes - ABS and g-sensor failure.

The car's been in the dealership for almost a week now - they're waiting for some part (some kind of "ABS relay"?). Hopefully it'll fix the problem.
So, basically, do take it to the dealer.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I have the ABS light on today during driving fast at the coner. But when i turn off and restart the car, the light go off. I went to track once and drive a lot harder than this time, everything is normal. but why this time the ABS light will trun on. So what should i do, anything wrong with my car?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have the same problem. My ABS and brake light turn on occasionally at start up. Turning the ignition off for a second seems to solve the problem. When I took it to the dealer they contacted Subaru got some type of case number for it, and told me to bring the car in when the light is on. Unfortunately I work nights, and do most of my driving at night or on the weekend when the shop is closed. Does anybody have a case number for this so my dealer has some reference to look at?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Well I had the same issue posted above, ABS light and brake light would come on when starting the car, but would go off when the car was restarted. Took it to the dealer and they pulled a code 51 "Check Valve Relay." The subaru master technician tested all voltages and resistance in ohms for the ABS/HU unit with the subaru select monitor. They were all within specs. He erased the code from memory and after driving 6 times the code would come back. They replaced my ABS/HU unit and bled the brakes. The unit is a $744 dollar part. I got my car back yesterday, so far so good. That is BS that they told you to bring it in when the light is on. The EEPROM stores the 3 most recent ABS malfunction codes in memory, and they are not erased unless cleared by a technician. If Im not mistaken my service manager told me the master tech that worked on my car has been working on scoobys for close to 25 years. After reading the detailed writeup on my dealer ticket/invoice, its clear that this guy obviously knows his sh!t. PM me if you need the name of the dealer/service advisor in the event your dealer wants to contact them.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I have the same problem with the ABS and brake light staying on occassionally on startup. It's been this way since I first bought the car two weeks ago. I've been turning the ignition on and waiting to see if the lights will remain on, and if they do I turn off the ignition and then start the car. I just called the dealership and have an appointment for next Tuesday. I will keep you all posted. At least I'll go in with some prior experience (Scooby-Newb).

·
Registered
32 Posts
It seems that this is becoming an out-of-the-box problem with these MY04s', not only the STi's but if you search on nasioc there are regular wrx's that are having the same exact issue. Im pretty sure they share the same ABS unit. So far the fix has been to replace the ABS unit. I pray that the issue doesnt resurface and that mabye a sour batch of units may have been produced?? :roll:

·
Registered
205 Posts
Well, took it to the dealer today. They found nothing... They asked me to try and reproduce the problem, and of course I was unable to. The shop foreman told me he'd call the "tech line" and see if it's been documented. Unfortunately, I forgot to bring the information you gave me Scooby-Newb, but when I call tomorrow to see if they've found anything out, I'll give it to them. Oh yeah, and when I started it up tonight (8pm) to go to work, the lights stayed on again... I'll update once I've heard more.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Your Dealer is being lazy or their techs are incompetent. They have the right tools to test the abs system and pull the code. They either dont want to waste their time or they dont know what they are doing. This is your brand new car, from the sounds of it I would just take it to a different dealer.

·
Registered
205 Posts
They've tested both computers, there is no code according to them. They've ordered a relay that supposedly controls both the brake and abs lights, so we'll be trying that first. Might be that my problem is slightly different from yours. Needless to say, after I brought mine in they had another STi come in with the same problem. So the issue WILL be resolved. Two is better than one. Will keep this updated.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts