IW STi Forum banner

About to become a STi noobie

3K views 43 replies 7 participants last post by  n3o729 
#1 ·
hello all!!! :wave:

my name is Tae and i am about to become the owner of 2010 STi hatch.
hopefully everything will check out and work out at the dealer later today.:lol:

Car is priced at 26,999 with 29995 miles on it. i think it's decently priced? :notsure:

but i wanted to get these done before negotiating the price.

1. Compression test (leadown test if necessary)
2. Pre-purchase inspection (not sure if i should trust what the dealer is saying)
3. tires (in a pretty bad shape, looks like it will need to be replaced soon. all 4 :eek:)

hopefully i can get these done before i can sign papers and hand over all my money lol

wish me luck and please let me know if there's anything i should do or look for!!

Thanks in advance!!!!

Tae

See less See more
#3 ·
Hi!!! thanks for the reply!

I believe mods are

COBB turbo heatsheild
Perrin front strut bar
COBB or Perrin exhaust (not sure what type)

hopefuly they check out at pre purchase inspection.

Any recommendation for inspection? I think i am going to take it to Mach V (kinda pricey tho.... $90 for inspection, $180 for compression test and $90 for leakdown test...)

I maybe wrong on price being high tho since i am a NOOB. lol

#4 ·
If it has an aftermarket downpipe make sure it is tuned. You'll have to figure out whether it's been opensource tuned or whether it used an AccessPort. Mach V can probably figure it out for you.

I'd highly recommend Mach V. They know their stuff. :tup: Those prices are about right and would likely be the same anywhere you go.

#5 ·
If it has an aftermarket downpipe make sure it is tuned. You'll have to figure out whether it's been opensource tuned or whether it used an AccessPort. Mach V can probably figure it out for you.

I'd highly recommend Mach V. They know their stuff. :tup: Those prices are about right and would likely be the same anywhere you go.
Sounds good! i will be going to the dealer after work today so once i get a firm grasp of the price, i will set up a visit to Mach V for inspection, comp test and leakdown test if necessary.

Thanks for your advice V10!! :wave::tup:

#8 ·
Do you have any type of agreement with the dealership that if the tests come back looking bad you csn return the car no questions asked?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tab 2
I tried for that but they wouldn't budge :(

I drove it home and it felt fine but i am a NOOB so i probably wouldn't know... :confused:

Hopefully the test will come out ok tomorrow!!! *fingers crossed*

#15 ·
Ahhhhhhhh bad dream just became a reality..... :(

Compression test came out bad....
Cyl #1 @ 145
Cyl #2 @ 147
Cyl #3 @ 130
Cyl #4 @ 127 (some oil residue on the plug)********* ahhhhhhhhhhh

Dropped it off at the dealer right after the test to make sure it is covered by warranty to fix it.
*keeping my fingers crossed*

Otherwise, I am going to walk!!!!
Pray for me fellow STi'ers!!!

#22 ·
I just got off the phone with the dealer and they are saying car checked out fine. (prolly a BS)
but to keep me as a happy customer, they are offering to give me this STi with no additional cost.

Car looks pretty much stock and has about 2800 miles less. Only minus I see is no fog and all weather mats. And some aftermarket parts

Need advice guys!!!

Used 2010 Subaru Impreza WRX STI For Sale in Tyson's Corner & Vienna, VA |

#23 ·
what color was the first one you got? do you like the World rally blue? does the new one look modded at all? make sure you get it checked out BEFORE you get it this time!

you mentioned the first one had a cobb heatshield which usually indicates it had an aftermarket downpipe

fogs you can add yourself afterwards and AW mats are always being sold used on these forums

how are the tires on the new car? the brakes? make sure you do a test drive before you buy it obviously

#24 ·
What aftermarket parts are there on the car? Be cautious about buying a car that's had work done to it with no receipts or record where said work was done. A lot of us do our own upgrades and if someone doesn't know what they're doing you have now inherited their shoddy job.

#26 ·
If the place you personally had the compression test done at said those numbers you need to believe them. They have nothing to gain by lying like the dealer would. If it were me I would go with the one that was not modded at all, less miles, and have the tests done on this car then drive home happy knowin you can romp on it and not be worried. Plus you can add whatever mods you want and not deal w the problems from someone else's modded car that they may have not known what they were doing.

#28 ·
That's not bad price. Take a look as others said compression to see all are firing and working correctly. Also some members have gotten stress test done on the engine, don't know how they've done it. But anyways!
Thanks for your input!! I agree with you and I am going to go for a test drive around 7pm. :D

Going to take it to the same place I got the compression test done at. Hopefully tomorrow. Maybe I can get some discount this time for bringing 2 cars in one week lol ($90 for pre-purchase inspection and $180 for compression test..... :()

#42 ·
Congrats on the newer and best color STi : ) all that's left for now is to make sure it's got a fresh filter and oil.

The following is a FYI. For the oil filter I use and recommend a Roki (Black) Japan – N3R1-14-302 with a Relief Valve PSI of 23lbs which meets Subaru specs. The above oil filter is made for Mazda but fits our Subaru STi perfectly. My second choice would be a WIX 57712 oil filter which also meets Subaru relief valve pressure of 23psi. As for the oil I use Rotella T6 from Shell. The Roki filter is just a bit taller than the Wix and holds a bit more oil. ...You can research the info on this and other Subie forums.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.