IW STi Forum banner

881 - 893 of 893 Posts

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #882
How many miles on the engine?
Only about 22K. Depending on the season, I drive it 2-3x/wk on avg.

Power feels down a little and I probably have a preturbo exhaust leak. Likely the header :lol:. I have yet to inspect everything or even stick the AP on it to datalog. No oil use or smoke though.

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #884
Annual update: I haven't really done anything in the past year except drive the car. It is 9 years old now and I still love driving it. I have about 25K miles on the EFI shortblock with no issues. I've had the AST 4100 coilovers on the car for almost 6 years. 1 strut rebuilt though I now have a modest clunk in one of the rears. I've had the super light weight Brake Man front rotors on for 6 years and the Brake Man street pads the same length of time. Nearly 40K miles on them. They still work great and have a decent amount of material left.. My ProSport boost gauge fried itself some time ago and I've not replaced it yet.

I'm in a better spot after closing my office and getting a paying gig with a corporation so I have new plans which I can hopefully get done this year. I'd like to keep my current block and rotated setup but swap out the old GT3076 and UEL header for a new GTX3067 and Killer B header. Not looking to make more power just smoother and likely an increase in AUC. Need a more appropriate muffler and I have my eye on a set of Enkei PF-01s in 18 x 8.5 wrapped in Michelin Pilot SS 245/35. That and swap out the pillowball lateral links for Grp N and the rear solid camber plates for Grp N tops. It's good to have plans again :)

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #886
^^^No not the header. I had a leak in the mid pipe joint. Your Full Race set up ought to be solid for sure. I'm going to go with a KillerBee when the time comes.

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #887
I'm always amazed how quickly time seems to get by. Looking back, I've had the Kosei wheels on the car for over 4 years now. I bought them used from an IWSTI guy who used to track and he stated that he had repaired one of the wheels that had been bent but it held air. It continued to hold air for over 3 years but my new route to work encompasses some atrocious stretches of road and the wheel will no longer hold air. Enkei PF-01's in 18x8.5 +48 and Michelin Pilot Super Sports in 245-35-18 ordered from Tire Rack yesterday. Ought to take 10 days or so to come in as they had order the wheels. Pics when they get here.

I was going to order a set of Group N rear top hats from RalliSpec that have the spring seat removed making them compatible with coilovers but these will change the ride height and require me to remeasure and reset droop and compression heights and possibly require a new length spring. Frankly I don't feel like getting into this right now but I'll go through it soon enough. Additionally I need to order a set of Group N rear trailing link bushings to press into a set of links that I've had sitting around for some time to replace the STi solid bearing link units I have now. When I started modding the car I basically wanted a racey-race car for the street and it's been fun, but now I want a better driving street STi and that means introducing a little more vertical compliance into the rear end to minimize bouncing and smooth the ride, particularly over the shyte roads I'm driving on now.

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #891
Knock, knock, knocking on heaven's door.

The engine is knocking. Last time I started it it knocked very hard 3x then I could hear a knock at 3K RPM after the oil got moving. I shut it off and haven't started it. :(

Trying to come up with a plan.

881 - 893 of 893 Posts