IW STi Forum banner

61 - 80 of 893 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Re: A-man's 07 STi: DD to Street Weapon

Man if I had those rotors in my hand...Woof.....I wouldn't be able to sit still until I put them on. Doing mods to this car gets really addictive. It's hard to put it down once you've began.... Keep us posted on the rotors, I really wanna here what you think.

I am still on the stock suspension myself. I haven't noticed much of the car unsettled. It may be because I have an 05, but it's still driveable and enjoyable, just tall haha

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #62

Man if I had those rotors in my hand...Woof.....I wouldn't be able to sit still until I put them on. Doing mods to this car gets really addictive. It's hard to put it down once you've began.... Keep us posted on the rotors, I really wanna here what you think.
Sure will. Can't wait myself.

I am still on the stock suspension myself. I haven't noticed much of the car unsettled. It may be because I have an 05, but it's still driveable and enjoyable, just tall haha
I took off my rear bumper beam and dropped almost 20 lbs off the front of the car by changing to the JDM front bumper beam. This made a big difference.

·
Registered
295 Posts

Swapping with the jdm front bumper beam is on my to do list. I really wish I had all the funds to make all this happen all at once, it's all just a stepping stone process.

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #64 (Edited)

Changed over fom the Mishimoto red silicon hoses to the Gates blue rubber. Also changed clamps from the stock pinch clamps to some very cool stainless T-bolt clamps from Parts Systems.

Before:

After:

I like the blue better.

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #65

Don't know how many of you have read anything on best oil for the Subaru boxer motors, but there's a lot of discussion at nasioc, particularly by the irrepressible Uncle Scotty: Advice needed-Oil Can Henry's oil change problem - NASIOC

In any case, the research looks good to me and I decided to change this evening to Shell Rotella T 5W-40 synthetic even though the current Mobil 1 in the car only has about 1K on it. I'd been using Mobil 1 for years, in all my vehicles, but I've always been a bit concerned about a faint tick I could hear at idle in my STi. That tick is gone after the oil change. Obviously will have to monitor as the oil gets older but so far so good.

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #66 (Edited)

SPT billet aluminum oil cap in today:

I hate the yellow in the engine bay. The plastic parts look cheap to me but I don't like them painted either. On the lookout for quality dress up parts.

Oh yea, spoke with RCE by phone today. Myles was assembling my T0's onto the Group N tophats for shipping in the AM :D.

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #67

JDM aluminum trunk lid complete with 17 holes for mounting an STi wing :crying::

It weighs a disappointing 13.5 lbs - I was thinking 10ish. But I'll be ditching the key lock and a good deal of the extra bracing on the underside. It also came with a latch. Going to be cool and I'll actually be able to see out the back glass :tup:.

·
Registered
376 Posts

nice write up
I've also removed a lot of weight from mine as well feels great

keep up the good work

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #71 (Edited)

A few updates.

JDM alum. trunk
& lightened some:

Still a lot of prep work to do to the trunk prior to painting and mounting.

Installed way cool Ixiz Concepts hood props:

very high quality product - quite satisfied :tup:.

And these arrived today:

RCE Tarmac Zeros.

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #72

This is a posterity post for myself to record the increased ride height prior to coilover install (which began today). You can easily see the enormous wheel-fender gap.

The objective evidence...15.5", fully 1.5" higher than stock.

Coilover install going well but I think I have the wrong extra camber bolts :mad:. Will call SPC in the AM.

·
Registered
5 Posts

Great write up. Awesome step by step, i'm going to have to start taking some weight off of mine.

·
I Solve Problems
18,254 Posts

you got some balls cutting up a JDM aluminum trunk.

how much weight did you end up saving?

still strong enough to have a good amount of downforce from a fat ass wing? :D

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #75

Great write up. Awesome step by step, i'm going to have to start taking some weight off of mine.
Thanks.

you got some balls cutting up a JDM aluminum trunk.

how much weight did you end up saving?

still strong enough to have a good amount of downforce from a fat ass wing? :D
Haven't reweighed the trunk yet but it'll gain a little back after filling the holes. Its a thin piece alright and at first I'll be wingless, but if I decide to add a wing it'll be the very light APR GTC-200.

·
I Solve Problems
18,254 Posts

you concerned about the downforce created by the APR wing?

50 something lbs of downforce could destroy that trunk :(

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #77

you concerned about the downforce created by the APR wing?

50 something lbs of downforce could destroy that trunk :(
50 lbs at what speed? I have thought of that though and am already planning for possible needed reinforcement...of a lightweight nature :).

·
I Solve Problems
18,254 Posts

50 lbs at what speed? I have thought of that though and am already planning for possible needed reinforcement...of a lightweight nature :).
I just picked an arbitrary #. :lol:

what are you thinking of doing for reinforcement?

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #79 (Edited)

I just picked an arbitrary #. :lol:

what are you thinking of doing for reinforcement?
According to APR's website, the wing will provide anywhere from roughly 100 lbs of downforce at 80 mph up to nearly 250 lbs at 120 mph (depending also on the angle of the wing) :eek:.

On the underside of the trunk where there are 2 layers of aluminum, the metal is quite strong. I could simply bond a cut strip of aluminum under where the wing mounts sit.

In other matters, I finished the front coilovers tonight. I told Myles that I had lightened my car, that it was 1.5" too high and that it was riding and handling like crap thanks to the way too stiff OEM struts and did he think T0's would fit the bill. He emailed me back the next day after some calculations and we decided on the T0's with Group N tophats which Tony assembled for me and set the ride height on based only on what I told him. Bang! Spot on 14" on the fronts tonight. Of course I haven't done the rears yet nor obviously driven it, but so far I'm impressed. Really easy install too on the fronts :tup:.

·
Registered
376 Posts

are the coilovers lighter then the stock spring strut setup?
I would think they are but just asking

61 - 80 of 893 Posts