IW STi Forum banner

361 - 380 of 893 Posts

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #362 (Edited)
Re: A-man's 07 STi: DD to Street Weapon

^ Hmm... What makes that HS special...? What's it made out of...? :)

Unobtanium :D.

I've already put it in my mod list, it's titanium of course. I had it custom manufactured. I will say I was pleasantly surprised at how effective it is :tup:.

·
Registered
3,632 Posts

Unobtanium :D.

I've already put it in my mod list, it's titanium of course. I had some custom manufactured. I have a vendor account now and once I get them "blued" I'll list them for sale in the vendor area which I hope will be very soon. Until then, I'm not allowed to offer them or post prices - against the rules. I will say I was pleasantly surprised at how effective it is :tup:.
Unobtanium, nice! :lol: I figured that's what it was... :D After all, if it's good enough for the brake shims, it's good enough for a heatshield. Just out of curiosity, what kind of temp drop did you notice with the titanium versus OEM...?

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #364 (Edited)

Just out of curiosity, what kind of temp drop did you notice with the titanium versus OEM...?
I did take some numbers with my infrared heat gun. After doing some pulls then letting the car sit idling for a few minutes with the hood down (to generate maximum temps), the downpipe was 393*F, the titanium heatshield was 111*F directly over the turbine (which I have previously measured at over 500*F), and the side of the stock TMIC was 87*F. Ambient temp was 43*F.

I also managed to get the Spearco on this weekend but found no matter what I tried the intercooler to throttle body coupling sits about a 1/2" farther away than the stock TMIC. The Samco intercooler hose kit I bought has the same length coupler so I was just barely able to to connect the points for a brief drive. Any serious twist on the intercooler and that coupler will pop off. I ordered a longer one Sat. Also had to trim down the turbo to intercooler hose a rather large amount but that fit fine. I'll get a pic up later. Weight gained about 7 lbs total with some extra hoses I added in rerouting a part of my catch can setup so that down to 376 lbs off the car. Going the wrong way here lately :(.

·
Registered
834 Posts

Nice set up. Time for an APS inlet & KS Tech 73mm MAF! That's what I have any way, but I do want a titanium heat sheild, so sick. Love your car man. Keep it up!

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #367

^ Wow, that's a good drop in temp! I'm assuming the bulk of the weight gain is the thicker TMIC...?
Yea, pretty effective :tup:. Spearco is 6 lbs heavier than stock TMIC.

Nice set up. Time for an APS inlet & KS Tech 73mm MAF! That's what I have any way, but I do want a titanium heat sheild, so sick. Love your car man. Keep it up!
You can have a titanium heat shield very soon ;).

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #368

Just want to say congrats to my hometown New Orleans Saints!!!:banana:

44 years is a long time to wait for anything.

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #370

I see water droplets...on the underside of my oil filler cap :(.

Seeing white smoke again, but more. I've been able to smell coolant at the driver's side of the motor for months and I burn up some coolant too, but I've never been able to find it. I think I have a blown headgasket. This would explain why it looks like I overfilled my oil but I was otherwise sure I hadn't. The oil does have a slight green tinge to it too, but the Renewable Lubricants I use kind of looks like that anyway.

Funny thing is I think what's uncovered it is my improved catch can system. I generate more vac on the crankcase now and I think its probably sucking harder on the spot where the gasket is blown. The car runs good but I've been able to tell for awhile that something's just not quite right, I can hear it. Thinking about whether it would be less expensive to take time off work and drive to EFI or have it flatbedded up there. It's a long way. Probably won't be until Spring in any case.

If I do a build I'm getting a Dom 2.5 (the old one) + goodies. No meth at first.

:notsure:

·
Registered
3,632 Posts

^ Coolant in the oil, ouch... :(

A local STi owner just came back from Top Speed for a tune. He was low on power and the compression test results don't look good.

·
Registered
181 Posts

A-man,

thanks for all your help when I was trying to diagnose my issues. It "seems" like I figured it all out and it was a bad tank of gas until I too got some coolant smell coming from my engine bay like 5 days ago. I'll keep you updated with my findings.

I wish I could help you in the white smoke department but being catless in the cold means white smoke everywhere, every time. Best of luck with your diagnosis. I hope you can get it back to tiptop shape.

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #375
Re: A-man's 07 STi: DD to Street Weapon - and the power phase begins

EFI contacted, mod list approved, have ordered some parts.

Pump gas goal 350whp/350wtq on EFI's Mustang dyno.

This will take longer than I want but it can't be helped. Nevertheless, it should be a fun process and I'm anxious to begin.

·
Registered
103 Posts

I did take some numbers with my infrared heat gun. After doing some pulls then letting the car sit idling for a few minutes with the hood down (to generate maximum temps), the downpipe was 393*F, the titanium heatshield was 111*F directly over the turbine (which I have previously measured at over 500*F), and the side of the stock TMIC was 87*F. Ambient temp was 43*F.

I also managed to get the Spearco on this weekend but found no matter what I tried the intercooler to throttle body coupling sits about a 1/2" farther away than the stock TMIC. The Samco intercooler hose kit I bought has the same length coupler so I was just barely able to to connect the points for a brief drive. Any serious twist on the intercooler and that coupler will pop off. I ordered a longer one Sat. Also had to trim down the turbo to intercooler hose a rather large amount but that fit fine. I'll get a pic up later. Weight gained about 7 lbs total with some extra hoses I added in rerouting a part of my catch can setup so that down to 376 lbs off the car. Going the wrong way here lately :(.

Is weight the only reason for not going with a FMIC?

·
Registered
1,890 Posts

If you don't mind me stepping in.....Hell NO!!!!

Using a big tmic on fairly large turbos (IMO up to and including 30r) is a huge advantage. If you are running meth/water injection you don't lose anything and gain SOOO much avoided lag time (does this sentence make sense, oh well) If you aren't it is STILL better IMO because you may lose 10hp up top but with the aforementioned lag foregone the car will be more fun to drive and actually (no substantial statistical proof to show) have a quicker ET in the 1/4.

·
Registered
103 Posts

Using a big tmic on fairly large turbos (IMO up to and including 30r) is a huge advantage. If you are running meth/water injection you don't lose anything and gain SOOO much avoided lag time (does this sentence make sense, oh well) If you aren't it is STILL better IMO because you may lose 10hp up top but with the aforementioned lag foregone the car will be more fun to drive and actually (no substantial statistical proof to show) have a quicker ET in the 1/4.
I'm running a Dom 1, which is a smaller turbo, and a FMIC, no meth. I don't experience much lag. My car is mainly setup for track events (road courses) usually 30 minutes a session.

If I switch to a larger turbo, I will go with a TMIC. That would also allow for the best oil cooler location.

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #379

FMIC would be overkill for my purposes and as EVOK1LR notes, generally street driving response will be better with the TMIC. My car is a street machine only and heatsoak isn't something I'll need to be concerned about. FMICs do look cool though.

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #380
Re: A-man's 07 STi: DD to Street Weapon - and the power phase begins

:banana::banana:Go SAINTS Go!:banana::banana:

361 - 380 of 893 Posts