IW STi Forum banner

341 - 360 of 893 Posts

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Re: A-man's 07 STi: DD to Street Weapon...is this the end?

Damn man, hope you get some answers to the problem soon. Lemme know if you need some help sometime.

I will most definitely be putting forged pistons in my block if my motor ever goes.

·
Registered
5,268 Posts

A-Man get the pistons done and go form there. I have been up and down with mods and setups...I am glad my motor blew and now went forged.

·
I Solve Problems
18,254 Posts

yeah, that's interesting.

I'll check out my buddies set of Whiteline Com-C's we installed a few weeks ago.

whiteline will take care of ya, it's one of the best things they do. :D

·
Registered
1,744 Posts

Problem with your custom PCV system? I hope those whiteline mounts don't have a problem, I was going to get some in the spring.

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #345 (Edited)

yeah, that's interesting.

I'll check out my buddies set of Whiteline Com-C's we installed a few weeks ago.

whiteline will take care of ya, it's one of the best things they do. :D
Yea, let me know what you find. I emailed Oakos where I got them but perhaps I should go straight to Whiteline.

Problem with your custom PCV system? I hope those whiteline mounts don't have a problem, I was going to get some in the spring.
Actually, I checked all the lines and the valve and my PCV delete system seems to be working great :tup:. There's blowby oil after the valve but none between it and the crankcase, and the head breather lines going into the catch can has blowby but there's no oil in the line after the catch can. Perfect.

Two potentially problematic items I found today. It appears I did overfill the oil some :p. Not sure how I managed that, clearly not paying attention to what I was doing, but the other thing looks to be the turbo-to-intercooler elbow is a little chewed up and certainly could be leaking intermittently.

Maybe go ahead with a Spearco :)?

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #347

Just make sure you know how far you want to go now and in the future but 30r or less Spearco is perfect for better streetability
Yep, I've spent many hours over the past couple of weeks reading turbo setup threads here and especially on NASIOC (ran across you there from a couple of years ago too :)), and I'm 99% sure a Spearco will be enough even if I leave a little on the table. I'm not quite ready yet, but if I were buying today I'd get a Dom 3, maybe a 2.5, probably XT-R. Seems like the best of both worlds for the most part without giving up much on either end, at least for my purposes. I could add meth at a later date if wanted more power without having to do a bigger turbo.

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #348
Re: A-man's 07 STi: DD to Street Weapon

Not dead yet!

Car seems to be running normally now. Not sure what the issue was/is but there a few possibilities including when I changed the routing a bit on my PCV delete/catch can system it is possible a large but transient amount of blowby sludge got into the engine. Could also have been a bit of oil overfill though I doubt it. Might also be the loosening and burning of carbon deposits in the combustion chamber due to my use of Renewable Lubricants injector cleaner/gas conditioner. Not sure but obviously will continue to monitor.

Another positive development, Whiteline has sent me a replacement Com C strut top mount which I should get Monday. :tup: for doing right by the customer though they need to watch quality control a bit better.

Future plans? Probably stage 2 protune in the spring, then save up for forged pistons and turbo upgrade with work to be done at EFI. Other things I'm missing that I want are Group N motor mounts, spherical bearing lateral links and a Q-Rack! The slow steering is really sucking given how good the rest of my suspension is now. Some new seats would be nice too. Just money...

·
Premium Member
14,725 Posts

Glad to hear the motor is doing well now! Prob was that gas cleaner stuff that eventually broke down the carbon deposits. I know people who use that SeaFoam stuff get that puffy white smoke when the engine goes under the cleaning. Good choice on choosing EFI! Remember its not only the pistons, but 08 oil pump, rings, rods (if you want), etc etc. Just be sure you know what power level you want so your build compliments that.

Which Q-Rack did you get? The fastest one? I really want to try them out on a car, interested to see the big difference.

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #350

I just bought a Spearco TMIC.

We'll see where this heads.

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #352

Spearco goodness:

Weighs 16# unadorned or between 4-5 more than OEM TMIC. Not bad. I plan on making it my own by wrapping the charge pipe and end tanks in heat reflective gold foil (ordered already from Pegasus racing - stuff ain't cheap) and probably getting a blue Samco IC hose kit. Also might strip off the Spearco logo and paint on my company logo but that might be sorta chincy. Don't know yet.

Still having boosting problems on the car, hope its a hose issue. Both the turbo to intercooler elbow and the BPV hose look kind of suspect to me. Of course could still be a f****** piston but I'm not smoking now. Whatever...nothing money can't fix.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts

+1 to strip it and paint "A-MAN"

maybe just my opinion for obvious reasons

GREAT choice btw-big tmic for most every setup ftw

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #354

So today I was finally able to get around to installing the Kartboy "Botox" rear subframe lockdown bolts and also the Group N rear diff mount. The lockdown bolts further help tighten the rear end up and make it a bit more communicative though its not as noticeable as the outrigger bushings. The Group N rear diff mount further helps to lessen driveline slop as your shifting through the gears though not near as much as the tranny mount + crossmember bushings. These subjective feelings might differ a bit on these pieces depending on order of mod install.

So all that's really left for the driveline is Group N motor mounts and all that's left for the suspension is a lateral link upgrade. Well I also need a corner balance and coilover fine tuning and I think the 070's are just too stiff for my suspension setup. When they go I'll try either Star Specs or Hankook Ventus R-S3's.

I've prepped the Spearco for application of the gold heat reflective foil. Pics to follow later. Oh yea, Alex I like the "A-man" idea for the intercooler:).

·
Registered
378 Posts

Just took out the subframe and put h brace in and the car handles so much better. Combined with the outrigger bushings and lockout bolts it,s like driving a brand new car

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #356

The Spearco in full gold-foil adornment:

Can't wait to get a turbo that can take advantage of it.

·
Registered
181 Posts

LOL your spearco is the complete opposite of mine. Mine's all stealth'd out (stripped logo, brushed finish). I like how yours would get less heat soak with the baller gold foil.
Hope you get your car running in tip top shape with that spearco!

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #360 (Edited)

So as to the ongoing experiment that is my suspension on my considerably lightened car, I used 6K springs in front when I put on the TiC-SST's (standard is 7K) but it's not working as I'd hoped. I'm getting too much push at the front, understeer, as a result of body roll. The ride is some better but part of that is because the damping is so much better. I'm going to put the 7K springs on sooner or later. I know it's the spring rate and not the bar because the T0's had 7K front springs and there was minimal roll. Will add a little more front camber too.

Also, I finally added a turbo heatshield. I've run without one for 2 years now, but this one is "special" :D. It weighs about 1/4 of a lb and the temp testing I did was pretty impressive. This is it with the OEM TMIC (Spearco to follow):

341 - 360 of 893 Posts