IW STi Forum banner

301 - 320 of 893 Posts

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #301 (Edited)
Re: A-man's 07 STi: DD to Street Weapon

So I just ordered this:

A Makita BTW251 18-Volt 1/2 inch LXT Lithium-Ion cordless impact wrench from Amazon. Compact size and 160 ft/lbs of torque ought to make modding easier from now on. :banana: Can't wait. Tired of wasting time with bolts.

And then I go out and find a flat on the car :mad:.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts

Nice tool! I'm jealous, I need to order me a cordless impact soon. Makes everything easier and much faster.

Yeah, I was out in the rain yesterday too. Me and a fellow employee took mine and my Dad's cars to get inspection stickers and as we were heading back we were hit with a white wall of rain. He was about 20 feet in front of me and I couldn't see the car anymore. And we were going over the Tombigbee bridge as well LOL. Pucker factor was pretty extreme for about 5 minutes hahaha. As we were driving through town I heard the Tornado sirens going off and I was thinking, I'm glad I'm in my car LOL. Supposedly we drove right through the clouds that were supposed to have the tornado in it :eek:.

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #303

I mentioned I had a flat:

I inflated it with my mini compressor while it was still on the car and I could hear the air whooshing out of it about as fast as the compressor could get it in. ^That's why. Thin sidewalls FTMFL! It deflated so fast this could've only happened in my driveway coming home the other day. Gashed by a rough patch of concrete :(. So decision time, drop $200 on a new Continental or put the old 070's back on (they still had some life left in them), accept the weight penalty and sell the the other 3 Contis at a loss. Seems like I'm going to be out about $200 either way :tdown:.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts

i love the new tool, that will help YOU a lot, me not so much just means something else to buy lol

Time to get back on the weight reduction wagon, need more ideas for myself- still can't wait to get my car next week so I can do the wipers/motor- thanks-

·
Registered
1,744 Posts

If you get a replacement tire from tirerack, and get the extra road hazard protection, you could use that single warranty if that ever happens again. Tires don't have serial numbers on them right?

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #306

^^^Yes, I suppose I could but I'm really not a believer in extras like road hazard protection. Obviously in hindsight this would've worked out, but that's hindsight. I've about decided to sell the remaining 3 Contis anyway and go back to the 070's I have - such is my disappointment with these tires.

·
Registered
225 Posts

If you get a replacement tire from tirerack, and get the extra road hazard protection, you could use that single warranty if that ever happens again. Tires don't have serial numbers on them right?
Tires have DOT numbers to identify them. I'm not sure how tire rack does their warranties, but generally, warranties correspond to the tire with that specific DOT number, which is usually documented @ the time of purchase.

DOT = Department of Transportation

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #309

Okey dokey, the Continentals are off and the 070's back on. Driving impression: there is a little added sluggishness at the wheels, but not much; the positive is that there is a significant increase in control. The squirminess is gone and when you turn the wheel response feels immediate, like it should :tup:. Funnily enough I like the ride better. Its not as squishy, and with the TiC-SST's dialed in it really feels BMW-like, solid but not jerky...really nice.

Weight penalty: added 6 lbs back per tire so that's 418 - 24 lbs = 394 lbs, and there was an extra 3 lbs added with the change in my coilover tops that I hadn't recorded yet, so back down to 391 lbs off the car. I am disappointed to be back under 400 lbs off, but that's only psychological because truth is the car feels great. Really fun.

I've got 3 Continentals for sale :D.

·
Registered
12 Posts

great thread! didnt think anyone would take it as far as anorexic but you've done so quite tastefully. read every page, car looks great and im sure it drives even better. keep it up....

·
Registered
12 Posts

you had said in an earlier post that u had ssr type-c's on one of your other cars. did u ever consider them for your sti? i know that they are definitely one of the lightest wheels available, my first choice if and when i can ever afford a set.
also, you had said that when removing the rear bumper beam you lose one of the exhaust hangers. when i removed my rear beam, also an 07, the end of the frame rail is open. enough so that you can get 2 matching nuts inside to replace the threading from the bumper beam. we just brought the bolts to a local hardware store and found the right size nuts. a bit of a pita to make it work but we were able to keep the stock exhaust hanger. idk if you wanna remove the rear bumper again but it worked well for me.

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #312

great thread! didnt think anyone would take it as far as anorexic but you've done so quite tastefully. read every page, car looks great and im sure it drives even better. keep it up....
Not as far as Anorexic but thanks. Yep drives pretty good :).

you had said in an earlier post that u had ssr type-c's on one of your other cars. did u ever consider them for your sti? i know that they are definitely one of the lightest wheels available, my first choice if and when i can ever afford a set.
also, you had said that when removing the rear bumper beam you lose one of the exhaust hangers. when i removed my rear beam, also an 07, the end of the frame rail is open. enough so that you can get 2 matching nuts inside to replace the threading from the bumper beam. we just brought the bolts to a local hardware store and found the right size nuts. a bit of a pita to make it work but we were able to keep the stock exhaust hanger. idk if you wanna remove the rear bumper again but it worked well for me.
I really like the SSR Type-C's on my DD, a Honda Fit. I think they look they great. I didn't want the same wheel for the STI though I considered the SSR-Type F, too many spokes to clean. I like my Prodrives.

Yep, on the bumper beam you can reach in there and reuse the exhaust hanger, tow hook too, but I was going for maximum weight loss. My custom, one off replacement bumper doesn't use the frame rail mounts at all :tup:.

Some new stuff...ordered and received a forged Beatrush pitch stop today. Really pretty piece and light. Just put it on a little while ago and went for a drive - couldn't tell much of a difference in driveline motion but there's a HUGE increase in engine noise coming into the cabin. Not sure I'm going to stick with this thing. Will keep it awhile and see if I can tell any difference with it, otherwise its a goner.

Also ordered a Group N rear diff mount, Kartboy outrigger bushings and rear subframe lock bolts. Will get those next week :D.

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #313

So I couldn't take the pitch stop. Way too much noise. Its off the car and on its way to Canada sold to another forum member.

This stuff has arrived:

Hopefully get a chance to put it on soon. Suspension is nearly there. Handling very nicely, very capable.

Also finally dug this out of the shed and put it on Saturday (sorry for the crappy nighttime flash pic):

I'll try to get better pics soon. I love this wing. Not only the aggressive look but its functionality. It really helps to stabilize the rear of the car. Anywhere above 60-70 mph there is a very noticeable improvement in the manner of the car. This is the APR-GTC 200 and I'd really like it higher. APR makes some inexpensive risers with which I can raise it up a bit. Will definitely do. Wing adds 8 lbs, so 383 lbs off the car. The wing is good weight, really good

·
Premium Member
14,726 Posts

Nice rear Diff support. Any reason why you went with that vs the GT-Spec one?

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #315

Nice rear Diff support. Any reason why you went with that vs the GT-Spec one?
1) Wanted Group N rubber

2) Didn't know GT Spec made one

3)After price checking this AM, Rallispec, where I got mine, has the Group N mount for $70 less than what I saw the GT Spec piece going for.

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #316

Installed Kartboy comfort outrigger bushings this evening. Very easy, quick mod to do and so worth it. I'd describe it as a big increase in positive subtlety :). Shifts are more positive and the rear of the car is more stable. Bumps actually upset the car less though you can hear them a little more. NVH is minimally increased only. The rear better follows whatever you ask the front to do. I can now feel hard shifts transferring to the still stock rear diff mount bushings more and with some slack back there. I suspect doing my Group N rear diff mount will only make all these positive changes moreso.

For the very first time driving my STI tonight, I began to get that same feeling I'd have when driving my S2000 (AP1). That car was like an extension of your brain and body, everything was so intuitive and so easy to drive fast, a really great handling street car. I finally got some of that back tonight in the Subie :D.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts

Car looks damn good! I would have stopped when you turned into Kudos but I had to get home in a hurry to wait for my son to get home. :tup:

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #318 (Edited)

Car looks damn good! I would have stopped when you turned into Kudos but I had to get home in a hurry to wait for my son to get home. :tup:
No problem. Thanks for the compliment. I was going to post a few daytime pics later.

Wish it were running as good as it looks, I seem to have a boost leak :(. Probably the BPV gasket.

Edit for pics:

Wing definitely needs to be higher.

Wherever the boost leak is its getting worse quickly. Couldn't get above 10 psi on the way home.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts

Could be that or if you have a boost gauge it could be the line off the BPV.

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #320

Could be that or if you have a boost gauge it could be the line off the BPV.
I redid that line after a problem came up when I installed the boost gauge. The last time I had the TMIC off, just the other day, the BPV gasket got folded upward on itself as I wasn't being careful enough. Perhaps that ruined the seal. I've had the IC off about 5 times in the last month for various reasons so I feel like its that or maybe the turbo to IC elbow.

I never get enough of your Crawford exhaust. Totally, the siht.

301 - 320 of 893 Posts