IW STi Forum banner

221 - 240 of 893 Posts

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #221
Re: A-man's 07 STi: DD to Street Weapon

Well as a matter of fact, I do have the actual printouts but I'm kinda lazy to dig them out right now. Will do it one of these days but I can remember the approximate readings anyway (I was obsessed with increasing caster at the time so I took special notice). My sequence of mods was ALK, Spec C arms, and finally the free caster mod:

On the stock 07 arms, my caster reading was about 3.3 ~ 3.5 degrees. After fitting the ALK, my caster increased to about 3.8 ~ 4.0 degrees (gained 0.5 degrees).

Then I swapped out the stock arms for the Spec C ones, and my caster increased to about 5.3 ~ 5.5 degrees (gained 1.5 degrees).

Next I did the free caster mod which gave approximately 0.4 degrees more caster, so now I have a total of about 5.7 ~ 5.9 degrees.
Wow. Okay, you got me interested. Where'd you get your Spec C arms and did you do the mod yourself? How tough?

·
I Solve Problems
18,254 Posts

when you ordered the Spec C arms did you get new Transverse links?

The ALK would've replaced them.

[Thread jack]
if you have the spec C Transverse links I need a set ;) [/Thread Jack]

·
Registered
184 Posts

Yes I still have the transverse links somewhere around but I reside in Singapore, so... Anyway, I got the Spec C arms used off a dealer around here who occasionally brings in miscellaneous JDM stuff of questionable origin. All the installation works (ALK, A-arms and free caster mod) were done on a lift at a professional workshop so I can't advise much on the difficulty. I can say though that the free caster mod is very much easier to do when the A-arms are OFF the car, so it's best to get it done at the same time you install the new A-arms. Otherwise it can be hard to unscrew the bolts and flip the black steel pieces. Or worse, you might risk cross-threading the bolts.

·
I Solve Problems
18,254 Posts

gotcha.

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #226

Very interested in weight reduction!! Cool journal sir!!!
Thank you very much.

I have some upcoming mods & changes over the next week and weekend that I'm looking forward to including new trailing links with Grp N front bushings pressed in by long-time subie guru BigSkyWrx and SuperPro urethane bushings for the rear spot. I love suspension mods and can't wait to get the TiC-SST's on the car but I'm still debating whether to get the lower rate springs for the front struts or not.

Also I'll be changing the oil to Renewable Lubricants 5w-40 and swapping the Subaru blue fliter for a Purolator One. I'll be draining the Motul 300 out the tranny and putting in some good ol' Extra-S. I have a DIN pocket to fill the hole under my new headunit and a Subaru 3rd brakelight for the rear shelf now that I'm wingless (and it's way cool :cool:).

I'm working on a custom catch can set-up that eliminates the PCV and utilizes one way valves to avoid the intake tract altogether. The maker of the catch can is going to fab up one for me. More to come on this.

I'm also talking with BigSkyWrx to do some Grp N bushings in all the lateral links. I'd have to remove mine and send them to him for pressing (downtime :(), but Mike is the man.

Oh yea, I have a new cabin air filter to install as well :lol:. The old one was ugly.

One thing I don't say enough is how completely freakin' incredible my car is to drive. All the weight reduction has resulted in a very quick Stg 2 car that handles and brakes like crazy. The suspension still needs some tweaking and I'm working on that but the brakes are done and are very potent. Every mod brings it a little closer to goal. Miles of smiles :D.

·
Registered
361 Posts

Miles of smiles LOL!!! Sick I cant wait to start the weight reduction on mine :) Do u mind if I ask questions along the way if I get caught up in any problems??? Im James by the way.

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #228 (Edited)

Do u mind if I ask questions along the way if I get caught up in any problems??? Im James by the way.
Sure, ask away.

Now for a little housekeeping, I put the 3rd brakelight on the rear shelf this evening to be legal and increase safety since I went wingless. I have the DIN pocket but haven't installed it yet - to make record keeping easier I'll add the weight back for both since together they are 1 lb. So that's 423 lbs minus 1 added back = 422 lbs off the car.

Edit: DIN pocket installed 9/9/09

·
Registered
404 Posts

Sure, ask away.

Now for a little housekeeping, I put the 3rd brakelight on the rear shelf this evening to be legal and increase safety since I went wingless. I have the DIN pocket but haven't installed it yet - to make record keeping easier I'll add the weight back for both since together they are 1 lb. So that's 423 lbs minus 1 added back = 422 lbs off the car.
I can't wait to see your lightweight rear bumper beam?

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #230

I can't wait to see your lightweight rear bumper beam?
I'm supposed to get my custom bolts for mounting it on Fri so I should be able to get my prototype mounted this weekend. Will of course post pics. It'll be for weight reduction junkies only though as it does not replace the frame inserts on the OEM bumper thus you lose the threaded bosses for the leftmost muffler hanger and a bracket on the right for the charcoal cannister. This shouldn't bother anyone as they are easily replaced with a zip tie for the charcoal cannister and I used some wire for the muffler hanger (as seen in post # 7 in my journal). Also, I should be able to zip tie the OEM foam absorber tightly in place as well.

I'm excited about the bumper beams as they aren't like anything else available. They are light, like 6 lbs for the rear and 5 lbs for the front, yet can actually handle some crush force. More this weekend.

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #231 (Edited)

Alright, got my bolts for my custom rear bumper beam. Turns out I don't have a large enough drill bit to complete the install. Will get that done this weekend though.

Other fun this evening. Fluid changes:

On the left is Subaru Extra-S tranny fluid (packaged in individual liters by Fred Beans) which I'm going back to to replace the Motul 300 I put in that's just not working out. In the middle is another step up, from Rotella T to Renewable Lubricants 5W-40...only top-of-the line overkill for me :lol:. And on the right is a Purolator Pure One oil filter since I can't get OEM black filters any more.

On tap for tomorrow are my new trailing arms and bushings :tup:.

·
Premium Member
14,725 Posts

Renewable lube is the good stuff! Don't like the Rotella anymore???

Hows that tranny fluid compare to the Motul 300?

I am going to get the MOTUL Gear Fluid - Gear FF Competition. JR runs it in his tranny from EFI Logics and absolutely loves it. I figured why not use in my STi. Let me know what you think about that ish!? :)

·
Registered
361 Posts

Sure, ask away.

Edit: DIN pocket installed 9/9/09
Thank you sir!! And WOW -422lbs?? That is insane...cant wait to feel the difference when all that weight is off!! Should be fun!!

·
Registered
76 Posts

422lbs is insane!

How about going all the way and doing the carbon treatment?

- Carbon fiber hood (Seibon, Varis, Monster..)
- Carbon fiber trunk (Seibon)
- Carbon fiber fenders (Seibon)
- Carbon fiber roof (AMS)
- Carbon fiber bucket seats (Recaro, Bride)
- Lightweight rims or if you have the $$$, Carbon fiber rims (Wedsport (these may not have made it to production), Dymag)
- Carbon or fiber doors (Seibon)
- Titanium lug nuts (T1R)
- Greddy/Trust Titanium Catback

If you're not a fan of the look, just spray the carbon to body color. But the weight savings from the above should be in the 100s of lbs.

* Sorry if you have some of this stuff already. I may have missed out a page or 2 :D

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #235 (Edited)

Renewable lube is the good stuff! Don't like the Rotella anymore???

Hows that tranny fluid compare to the Motul 300?

I am going to get the MOTUL Gear Fluid - Gear FF Competition. JR runs it in his tranny from EFI Logics and absolutely loves it. I figured why not use in my STi. Let me know what you think about that ish!? :)
Actually the Rotella looks pretty decent after about 3K mi, just that I didn't find out about the newer formulation with lower levels of ZDDP until after I changed over to it. Further reading revealed Renewable Lubricants' oil so I thought I'd give it a try.

I'll have to update later with a driving impression. I did change the tranny fluid back to Extra S but the trailing arms and rear bushings have proven a difficult install. I broke my only C clamp installing one bushing so I had to go to Lowes to get another last night but I won't be able to finish until today. Then the front trailing arm bolt on the other side was major league stuck. I had to take off the mount with the front of the trailing arm still attached and wrestle with the bolt for a silly amount of time. I also had to spend some extra time chamfering the 2 piece Super Pro rear trailing arm bushings so I could get them to press in. And don't get me started on removing the original rubber bushings from that rear knuckle position - SOB! Anyway, I don't have much left this AM to do so I can finish it up - hope it's worth it.

Thank you sir!! And WOW -422lbs?? That is insane...cant wait to feel the difference when all that weight is off!! Should be fun!!
Big, nasty fun.

422lbs is insane!

How about going all the way and doing the carbon treatment?

- Carbon fiber hood (Seibon, Varis, Monster..)
- Carbon fiber trunk (Seibon)
- Carbon fiber fenders (Seibon)
- Carbon fiber roof (AMS)
- Carbon fiber bucket seats (Recaro, Bride)
- Lightweight rims or if you have the $$$, Carbon fiber rims (Wedsport (these may not have made it to production), Dymag)
- Carbon or fiber doors (Seibon)
- Titanium lug nuts (T1R)
- Greddy/Trust Titanium Catback

If you're not a fan of the look, just spray the carbon to body color. But the weight savings from the above should be in the 100s of lbs.

* Sorry if you have some of this stuff already. I may have missed out a page or 2 :D
I don't care for the CF look except trunk lids with certain colors. Anyway, I have a light trunk lid with the Spec C aluminum piece. Hoods are already light as are fenders, but I've heard not so good things about Seibon's fitment anyway. The doors and roof would be worthwhile weightwise, but very expensive and could only be done by a VERY competent custom bodyshop which I don't have available to me. I have considered a titanium exhaust and new seats is something I'm planning on.

But now I have to go watch the Grand Prix of Monza :D.

·
Premium Member
14,725 Posts

I would venture into dry carbon fiber like The Limited Project did. It looks SICK compared to reg CF and its lighter! Seats are on my list too:(!

·
Registered
1,535 Posts

They are not yet in my possesion. I won't get them until this Thur and this upcoming weekend isn't going to be an install type of weekend for me. Nonetheless, the issue is clearly that the T0 springs are too stiff for my light STi as I'm bouncing and floating and thus losing potential traction.

The T0's come with 400/340 springs and the TiC-SST's I'm getting will have 390/280 springs. I've pretty much decided I need to swap the front springs for some 336 rate springs (which will further delay install a bit). The other issue I'm having is some serious dog-legging. Softer springs, longer suspension travel and being able to soften the rebound with the TiC-SST's ought to help this a bunch. I could also swap out my Cobb hollow sway for something like an 18mm bar but I'd rather not do that if I don't have to.

Hey, doesn't anyone like my new clean trunklid?! :lol:

Hey i have the TIC's and had a quick question, are the spring rates your getting on the coilovers are(390)7k/(280)5k witch is stock right? Then your going to switch out to the lower spring rate in the front witch is the(336)6k spring right? I have the 7K,6k setup right now and the front bounces like a girl giving a lap dance:lol:, so im wondering if i go with the 6k front that would take care of the bounceness in the front at lease i hope so lol

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #238 (Edited)

Hey i have the TIC's and had a quick question, are the spring rates your getting on the coilovers are(390)7k/(280)5k witch is stock right? Then your going to switch out to the lower spring rate in the front witch is the(336)6k spring right? I have the 7K,6k setup right now and the front bounces like a girl giving a lap dance:lol:, so im wondering if i go with the 6k front that would take care of the bounceness in the front at lease i hope so lol
You make bounciness sound pleasant :). 7k/5k is what they come with and what I just bought. I went ahead and ordered 6k's (336 lb/in) for the fronts so we'll see what happens.

On to driving impressions after the weekend's install fun. 1st I'll say it's good to be back with Extra-S. I can downshift again without thinking about it. Sooo much better than Motul Gear 300. Anyone who thinks that 300 stuff makes for buttery shifting has a different tranny than me :confused:.

Now the trailing arm bushings...:eek::D:tup:. This is a must do mod. Like the ALK/free caster mod it makes such a huge difference in feel you wonder how you drove without it. Since the trailing arms work in two planes you get benefits in two planes. From front to back the car pogos significantly less going thru the gears, which translates to more forward thrust and less wasted motion. That in itself would be worth it, but you also get a lot of help laterally when turning as the rear end is much more composed and you lose a lot of the slop that you can feel otherwise. This mod is very comparable to the ALK in that it has a lot of the positive effects for the rear as the ALK does for the front including improved acceleration out of turns. It also compares in difficulty of install unfortunately but it's worth it. If you only do one end of the trailing arm, do the rear bushing as this is where most of the benefit is coming from.

Also, as promised, my new rear bumper is done. It is designed to add crush resistance in low speed impacts and as far as I can tell, its the only aftermarket bumper so designed. It doesn't look like much but its simplicity is part of its merit I think (this is the protoype - further examples will be better finished):

If anyone is interested in learning more about the bumper please PM me as I don't want to turn my car's journal into an ad piece. Thanks.

The bumper adds 6 lbs but I took off some small pieces underneath the car with the trailing arm install and removed the middle rear bumper cover support, which I find to be completely superfluous, and so took 2 lbs back. Added 4 lbs total so 418 lbs off the car.

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #239 (Edited)

I installed a custom catch can setup this weekend with one way valves which allowed me to eliminate the PCV valve. My setup allows for NO oil to get to the intake tract. I was apalled to see how much oil was in the intercooler, throttle body and intake manifold. I replaced the PCV system hoses with an ultra lightweight kevlar braided hose. Prototype is on the car:

Not sure what the final change in weight is but I'll weigh tomorrow what I removed and update, it won't be much difference if anything, including the very light can. I could tell the positive difference immediately in having a continuous vacuum on the crankcase.

Edit: Weight off car was 1.5 lbs or almost exactly = to what I put on including 1/2 lb each for the catch can, the kevlar hose and the fittings/one-way valves. Note that I removed the metal PCV lines attached to the TMIC that connect both head breathers. Mission accomplished.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts

A-man, im interested in the set-up and parts used for that catch can set-up, can you pm me some info please?

Your doing a great job with the car by the way!

221 - 240 of 893 Posts