IW STi Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Snow is here...What wheels/tires will fit?

Hey guys,

This is my first post on this forum, which, by the way, is the nicest WRX one I've seen.

I've recently became interested in purchasing a STi after reading tons of wonderful things about this car. I currently own a '02 RSX but I don't find that car very good in our winters, not to mention I've kind of outgrown it. When I first started looking for a new car I was leaning towards a 350Z or S2000 (the new 2.2L one.) Those choices didn't go over too well with the wife due to those cars only having 2 seats. :) So I started looking at the STi. After reading all the reviews and checking out the Subaru website, it seemed like the STi was the way to go. The one problem? I couldn't really get over the looks. :-?

After mulling over it for a few days I decided to pop in at our local Subaru/Suzuki dealership on Hwy 2 / Lakeridge Rd (Ajax/Whitby border.) The first thing I noticed was that the STi looks 100% better in person than in pictures; the car is much smaller, shorter, and nicer looking than the pictures let on. I'm still not so sure about the spoiler but I think I could get used to it.

I talked to a salesman there and for the most part I wasn't too impressed with him. While he was very polite and at least talked to me (I've heard horror stories about Subaru dealerships) he didn't seem to know a lot about the car. I asked him if it had HIDs and he didn't even seem to know what I was talking about at first. At that point I figured asking him anything else remotely technical would be silly so I grabbed a brochure and business card. Something that surprised me was when I asked him about getting a test drive. To my amazement he said that when I was more serious, just make an appointment. When I was looking at the 350Z, the Nissan dealership in Ajax said they don't let people test drive. They said the car is so "hot" right now that if they don't sell me one, someone else would buy it without a test drive. Too bad for them.

Another thing that surprised me about the STi was that the interior was nicer looking than I anticipated. My RSX's interior isn't anything to write home about but it certainly is clean, refined, and well built, and to my amazement, so is the STi's. The dash seems solid, the side panels don't flex, the centre console/armrest doesn't wobble etc. The seats are fabulous and very comfortable. I thought the RSX seats were good - wow what a difference. Some people might complain that the interior isn't amazing but, personally, I'm not looking for BMW, Mercedes or Porsche quality in an interior. As long as it seems solid and clean, I'm happy - it is what is under the hood that counts. :)

After I left the dealership I had two disparate feelings. On one hand, I loved the car but on the other hand I couldn't stand that dealership. Maybe it was just a bad first impression?

Something I wanted to ask: for those of you who have bought STis in the Toronto area, what do you think of your dealership? How is the aftersale service, maintenance etc?

Thanks in advance guys and sorry for the long post.

Hopefully I'll be a Subaru owner in the next 6-12 months (I might buy early.) :lol:

T

·
0 Posts
Uh oh... grinding sound from engine bay...

Although not in Toronto, I dealt with Owen Sound Subaru (couple hrs north of TO) and I was extremely pleased with the service I recieved. I guess it goes with any dealership, it's hit and miss. If you don't feel comfortable with that dealership, try another one. But regardless of dealers, this is an amazing car. So I warm you, if you do happen to go for a test drive....consider the car sold. ;)

·
Registered
452 Posts
I got my STi from the salesman named 'Moon' at Willowdale Subaru (Yonge & Finch area). I thought he was pretty good. He got me lots of good info, including a STi sales training booklet and a couple of nice gifts upon pick-up also. You might want to check this dealership and/or salesman out.

I dropped by the dealership a week ago to pick up a part for a fog light install. At the time, they had one white, one blue and one black in stock (not sure if spoken for...) Also, the dealership appear rather mod-friendly.

You can reach the dealership at 416-221-8876. Moon can be reached either there or at 416-508-2544. (cell)

Rich

·
Registered
39 Posts
I agree with turbs... I was kinda on the fence with regards to either getting a 325ci or STi (...yes, yes, I know - two totally different cars), but after I test drove the STi... Game Over - I want the STi. Sure, it isn't as refined and it's looks are little 'boy-racer', but man - this things kicks some serious ass. And I hate to get practical on ya, but it's got four doors and you can drive it with ultimate confidence in the winter.

Ok - I digress, I've had pretty good experiences at the following dealerships:

1) Mississauge Subaru (Subaru Corporate store, I think)
2) Willowdale Subaru
3) Richmond Hill Subaru (...can't complain when they let me test drive the car)

My brother, who owns a Forester, really likes the service he gets from Willowdale.

·
Premium Member
7,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the replies guys. I'm really anxious to test drive the STi but I don't want to do it yet until I'm willing to buy it. I really think holding off until 2005 is the best option but lord knows, I want one sooner. :D It was a bit disheartening to hear that the price is so much higher in Canada compared to the US but no biggie I guess. :)

I saw a Silver/Silver STi at my last Saab driving school course, early this October. It was an instructor's car and boy did that thing kick ass on the skid pad. :) We couldn't get him off the skid pad after he went to demonstrate the lesson. Accelerate, turn, e-brake, scrisssssssssh, repeat. He was having too much fun. :) Maybe when I go back in April I'll see if I can hitch a ride with him.

I'll keep those other dealerships in mind as they sound better than the one in Ajax/Whitby.

Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
7,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
KrustyK said:
I was kinda on the fence with regards to either getting a 325ci or STi (...yes, yes, I know - two totally different cars), but after I test drove the STi... Game Over - I want the STi.

So they let you drive one without having to commit to any deposit etc? When are you planning on purchasing?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Digitalfiend said:
KrustyK said:
I was kinda on the fence with regards to either getting a 325ci or STi (...yes, yes, I know - two totally different cars), but after I test drove the STi... Game Over - I want the STi.

So they let you drive one without having to commit to any deposit etc? When are you planning on purchasing?
Yes - Richmond Hill Subaru will give you a test drive with no monetary commitment. I just showed up one Saturday to ask a few questions (i.e. pricing for 2005 and whether or not HID's were on the horizon) and, to my utter suprise, I ended up behind the wheel of their tester.

They did say that normally they only give test drives on an appointment basis, but they never mentioned that I would have to put down any sort of deposit. I figure, if you just showed up and dislayed some serious interest in the car, they would give you a test drive.

Dealership Info:
Sales dude's name: Alex Tam
11645 Yonge St (Just south of Stouffville Sideroad)
(905) 883-3555

I'm personally looking to either pick up one of the last 2004's or wait and see what 2005 holds. So, I guess that puts my purchase window anywhere from 2 months to 6 months.

·
Premium Member
7,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the dealership info. I'll have to check them out.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Digitalfiend... have fun :) Post your impressions. The tester they have is silver/silver.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts