IW STi Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I just got back from Abt which is an appliance store in the northern suburbs of Chicago. I am suppose to pick my car up around the 15th-22nd of sept. and I thought I would order my sound system now.

The manager showed me around the shop and it was spotless! There was a new silver porsche carrera turbo something being worked on (2 huge round speakers in the back wall behind the seats. and almost the entire car was covered in a clear plastic material to protect it. They were also working on a English Mini Cooper which is a special order car for Alpine Audio, it also was covered in plastic wherever any workman might touch it. A couple BMW's and a Cady were also present.

You wouldn't believe some of the systems they were installing and I can't believe the time he spent with me. He showed me a lot of their work on his computer and took me into the main store to help me pick out a system. They have done a lot of STi's and he sugested several setups for me. This is what I finally purchased.

1. A Kenwood KDCX969 Recever CD/MP3/WMA 544.00
2. MBQT car speakers coaxial 5 1/4" for the rear deck 119.00
3. MBQT car speakers 6 1/2" Component for the front doors 219.00
4. 1 carharness 15.00
5. KTCSR902 Kenwood car RCVR SIRIUS TUNER 00.00
6. CXSR20 kenwood car ACC SIRIUS ANT 50.00

The entire bill with instilation and tax came to $1426.57

I decided against the, in-trunk 10 cd changer, as who needs it with the SIRUS satilite radio. I can always add a subwoofer and amp later if I want to and they have subwoofers that just unplug and come out when you want to put luggage or several sets of golf clubs in the trunk.
Man I can't wait for my car to get here! :p

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
They did my STi and did a top notch job. Had my car for 2 days and they wrapped it in plastic also while it was there. I have MbQuart speakers myself and I'll tell you one thing, you better get an amp or 2 for them or they will not sound that good.

·
Premium Member
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
NOOOOOOO. You mean I have to spend more money just to hear the damn speakers clearly! This car is turning into a big sucky black hole for my hard earned money. The guy at the shop didn't seem to think I needed a amp unless I put in a sub; Oh well live and learn; and you don't think one amp will be enough? :evil:

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
Well it depends. They might sound ok but you wont be able to turn them up very loud without getting distortion. One good 4 channel amp will be better than nothing. My setup was a big snowball effect. I started out looking for something good for the cost of the stock setup. I started with an Alpine head unit and figured I better get some good speakers to go with it. I got the MbQuart QSD components and a set of coax for the rear. Then I figured if I am going to spend the money on those MbQuarts I better make sure I give them enough power otherwise they will be a waste of money. I wanted a sub and wanted to make sure it got enough power too. After all that I needed wires, caps, dynomat, next thing you know I have this all out crazy system.

When it comes to speakers just make sure you are at least giving them the RMS they ask for otherwise you will spend the money and not be happy with the sound. I don't think you will need to go crazy but if are not getting a sub then you better make sure you are giving the speakers a good amount of power so you can get some bass out of them. Good luck.

BTW, your just outside Chicago, we need to round up some local STi people and have a meet. BTW, I have seen a couple STis around, what color combo do you have?

·
Premium Member
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok here's the story: I started looking for a car in late June I was thinking about a 350Z or a Mazda 6 and while I was looking at the Dealer in Arlington Hts. I saw a silver STi in the Parking lot that the guy hadn't picked up yet and I fell in love. They had a waiting list of 6 people and as they only got about 2 a month I figured crap, I'll never get the damn car. So I started calling around and found 2 in Waukegan but the manager wanted 2 grand over msrp so I said no way; finally I called Briederman in Park Ridge and they said that they had a blue and gold coming in the in the last 2 weeks in July and that the guy couldn't get his financing so I said yes!!!! I'll take it. Man were they pulling my leg. First it was the last two weeks in July then the 1st two weeks in Aug. then the last 2 weeks, then the first two weeks in Sept. now they swear it will be here by Sept. 22nd at the latest. CRAP, CRAP, CRAP!!! What's a guy to do?
I originally wanted silver/silver or white/gold but settled on blue/gold because I thought it was coming in two moths ago. Damn, damn, damn! :evil:

As to your advice on the amp., yes I think I'll get one I don't think I'll need more than one to run the coaxells in back. and if I get a sub later I'll add another amp. then. I also plan on asking them about Dynamat or Brown bread when I bring the car in for the install. Alos I am going to ask if they can install the areal for the satelite radio inside the car instead of just stuck on top where some jamoke can just rip it off. Did you say you had your's done at Abt also?

Ya I'd love to get together with some other owners and discuss the cars etc.; once I get the damn car. According to my horoscope this was suppose to be a good month for me. Haha! I might as well just go out and buy a set of snow tires right now cause it doesn't look like I'll get a chance to use the summer only ones. :roll:

What suburb do you live in? I live in Prospect Heights.

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
Norseman said:
Alos I am going to ask if they can install the areal for the satelite radio inside the car instead of just stuck on top where some jamoke can just rip it off. Did you say you had your's done at Abt also?
Let me know what they say because I am pretty sure I am going to get satellite myself since I heard someone say you can mount the antenna inside also. Yes I had mine done at ABT. Mine was the 4th one they did I believe. They did a great job.

I was just at my dealer last week for a new owner car care clinic and they had a white/gold in the showroom that some old man traded in cause he did not like the stiff ride and shifting. It has 180 miles on it. They also said they have 3 more on the way that are not presold, so if you are having a problem getting one let me know and I will give you my dealer and salesman's info.

I live in Wheaton but will be moving to Wheeling around March.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts