IW STi Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anybody point me in the direction or provide us with a do it yourself brake bleeding instructions on the STI Brembos (this naturally follows the DIY SS brake line install that we already have).

I have never actually bled the Brembo brakes and was wondering if somebody has done a write up on it or would they do a write up if they will be bleeding their Brembos in the near future.

I knew the brake fluid is corrosive, so any tips on doing this safely are also greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

·
Registered
80 Posts
It's easy. If you downloaded the manuals, look in the brake section. They tell you how to bleed the brakes and the correct order to do it in. If you don't have the manuals do this:

1 ) Take your wheel off.
2 ) Take the rubber cap off the bleeder screw (bleeder screws are near the top of the caliper, it should be a hex nut bolt with a spout out the top). There are 2 of them, one on either side of the calipers, do them 1 at a time.
3 ) Open your hood and open the top of the brake fluid reservoir.
4 ) Ask a buddy to sit in the car and pump your brakes 3-4 times then hold the brake pedal down.
5 ) While the brake pedal is held down, put your finger over the hole (so brake fluid doesn't spray all over the place), take a box wrench and loosen the bleeder screw quarter to halfturn.
6 ) Now that fluid's come out, close the bleeder screw again (don't apply too much force on the wrench, you don't want to strip the screw). Then tell your buddy to let go of the brake pedal.
7 ) Repeat steps 4 to 7 as necessary and for each bleeder screw. Don't let the reservoir run dry.
8 ) Pump brakes to make sure no fluid is leaking out of the bleeder screws after closing them.
9 ) Replace everything you took off. Drive around.

10*) According to the manual, (and I made a mistake before because I forgot about the ABS system) you're supposed to do the front right, rear left, front left, then rear right in that order.

Things to make the job easier: Speedbleeder screws (turns it into 1 man job)
Clear rubber tube so you don't get sprayed with brake fluid. Clear so you can see the fluid coming out. (Trust me brake fluid tastes real bad). :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts