IW STi Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
RDiamond said:
Dude, you realize that's less than the recommended street pressure, don't you?
yep, :oops: but in the buzz of moment and being a first-timer not wanting to miss anything, i forgot to go get air. wojo did and i should have just followed him. oh well, i've brought 'em up to spec now. at least i know i can gain maybe 2 seconds a lap with just air. :)

RDiamond said:
I wish I had joined you. I have bad memories of the oppressive heat of Summit Point in July...
be sure to sign up for the oct 24th event. re heat, i didn't notice the heat at all. rather mild day, i thought. next time, i'm bringing a big cooler full of drinks. their concessions closed at 1400 and by 1600 after my last session, i was dehydrated and the vending machines were empty of water.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
masti said:
Higher temp pads should take care of this....
i bought some brake temp paint on the recommendation of a racer friend. i applied the three paints on each of the front rotors. to my surprise, after my last (and most aggressive, for a rookie) session, none of the paints changed color. i guess i was really babying the car even though i thought i was braking heavily. unfortunately, i have to wait until october to test this again. anyway, if you have a pad recommendation, please let us/me know.

·
Registered
176 Posts
masti said:
I just got back from 2 days of fun at Watkins Glen with my STi. Running at a racetrack should be a requirement when owning one of these cars. It was extremely fun. I was one of the fastest cars in my group. Z06's are faster on the straight aways, but not by much. I hit 130+ on the back straight, where as Z06's were hitting around 140.

350Z's, Z28's,.........no challenge!!!

Only down fall with the STi was minor understeer at the limit and minor brake fade after around 6 laps or so. Higher temp pads should take care of this and a stiffer rear sway bar should help rotate the car a little more.
Where do you live? I'd like to take my STi out to Watkins Glen for a day of track racing since I am about 45 minutes away. My friend raced his 2002 M3 there and he had a blast. He also told me that the z06's were the preferred track car up there.

If you ever feel like going for another run, I'll come along. I don't know what their schedule is like, though. I may have to wait for next year... :(

·
Registered
105 Posts
Oh Yes, it's definitely fast enough

Sounds like you had a great time...wish I had been there!!

I was scheduled for a July FATT at Summit but the STi wasn't broken in yet, so I've rescheduled for Oct. 24. I'll see all of you who get that day scheduled then!! Can't wait. I've pulled a 13.1 in the quarter, laid down some great times in Solo II, and now it's time to see how it does on the big dog's track.

I saw a post on the break temperature paint. I've never heard of that? I assume it is different types to determine the temps your rotors/breaks reach?? Where to you get this stuff, where to you apply it, and how much to you have to apply? I'd be interested.

As for tire pressure, what is the best setup anyone has run yet? I've varied it from 38 F/B up to 48 and variation in between. With the slower SII layouts, I've found it hard to determine best setup. Any guidance would be appreciated.

Regards,
Scott

·
Registered
273 Posts
There is a PDA-run event scheduled for August 9th and 10th at Pocono Int Raceway (you can run both days or just one). I just signed up for it.

The Sat course is 3 miles long and the Sunday one is 2.5miles. They divide drivers into 3 groups based on experience level. Each driver should get 1.5 to 2 hrs driving time.

Here's some more info if anybody is interested. Hope to see you there!

http://www.imp-auto.com/pda/index.htm

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
YBnormal07 said:
so I've rescheduled for Oct. 24. I'll see all of you who get that day scheduled then!! Can't wait.
very cool! glad you got in. i hope there'll be others.

YBnormal07 said:
I saw a post on the break temperature paint. I've never heard of that? I assume it is different types to determine the temps your rotors/breaks reach?? Where to you get this stuff, where to you apply it, and how much to you have to apply? I'd be interested.
it's here. you apply a thin coat to the edge of the rotor. but you you don't need to buy any. you can use my kit. there's *plenty* of paint there. i sent it to a friend who used it on his wrx and a mutual friend's sti (bcristea) this past weekend. the paint didn't work for me but did for both of them. (i obviously wasn't braking hard enough. can't wait to vindicate myself. :) )hopefully bcristea will post his results; i know 'em but i don't want to steal his thunder. :)

see you on 10/24!

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Hey guys....great stories! I can't wait to have the same opportunity around here.

I have a few concerns and I wanted to see what you guys had done in preparation for what everyone hopes never happens.....damage/wreck at an event like this.

Have you looked into your insurance covering your vehicle while doing somthing like this? If not, what insurance do you purchase?

My father was president of the insurance division for a major construction company for a number of years, so our family is always very insurance/liability oriented.

·
Registered
11 Posts
insurance wise, for driving schools, as long as it is not a timed event, you'll be covered. you'll have to check your policies as some insurance companies will not cover you on non-public roads...you'll have to check with your agent about this one.

A friend of mine totalled his NSX at a driving school, and allstate picked up the tab and got him another one...but then his wife totalled the mercedes and allstate dropped them from the policy after picking up the mercedes tab. :)

·
Registered
334 Posts
Regarding insurance, I've always figured it is best to assume it won't be covered. But for driving schools it probably is (check with your agent to be sure) since it is untimed and not a competition. Still, the thought of answering the question "...and where did the accident occur?" with "Turn 4" is a bit scary.

I did a couple track day events last week (me first), and I agree it is a blast. The car does very well at this stuff -- better suited for this than it is autocross (where it is still fun, but light cars with quick steering are better suited). The full day event was about 94 miles total for the day (4 sessions at Pacific Raceways) and it went through most of a tank (I estimate about 6.5 mpg).

For the 1/2 hour sessions at two different courses, I only had brake fade once, and it was because I was constantly stuck behind slow big cars which brake really early, and keep braking deep into the turns. So I ended up riding my brakes a lot. Going down the straights at 1/2 or less throttle is kind of bizzare. 300hp sure is nice when you get a let-by. When I got more clear track, I got no brake fade. Stock rotors, pads, wheels, tires, but Motul 600 fluid.

In the total of 5 sessions in the novice groups, I never was passed nor was anyone even close. We'd back way off before the turns just so I could go through at a semi-reasonable speed, and we'd be right on the other guys tail by the start of the next corner. NSX, Lotus v4 turbo, BMW 540i / 330i / M3, whatever. Easy pickings. Admittedly this is the novice group and any of my instructors could rip me a new one easily, and a new M3 with an equal driver would be very close. But regardless, the car was easy to drive fast, had good balance (my car had an alignment within a week of my buying it), and is fast out of the box. A Z06 or 911 turbo would definitely be faster, but they cost a lot more and don't have 4 doors to carry the kids around (do remember to let them out before your session, having voices from the back saying "Daddy, slow down!" is really distracting).

·
Registered
668 Posts
It is great to see folks on road circuits with these cars.

Road course is a drag race after drag race connected by corners...too much fun!

My other car gets 6.5 mpg so I do about 85 miles before I hit fuel starvation after 20 gallons of gas in the tank. I definitely recommend filling the tank full before each event.

If you are concerned about lost performance from extra weight from fuel, then you are probably a professional racer!

Fill the tank, pump the tires up, change the brake fluid and have fun:)

·
Registered
334 Posts
TimM said:
Road course is a drag race after drag race connected by corners...too much fun!
I thought it was corner after corner, with long straight sections between. :) After all, I'm an autocroser and have never been to a drag strip in my life.

My other car gets 6.5 mpg so I do about 85 miles before I hit fuel starvation after 20 gallons of gas in the tank. I definitely recommend filling the tank full before each event.
Definitely. I filled my tank before the day, and after 4 1/2 hour sessions (94 miles total) the low-fuel light was on. About 6.5mpg.

If you are concerned about lost performance from extra weight from fuel, then you are probably a professional racer!
It's actually a concern in autocrossing. Personally I'm too inconsistent to worry about it much, but it really does matter. For lapping days, I'm there to learn, not compete, and with a 3500lb car+driver it isn't going to change much.

Fill the tank, pump the tires up, change the brake fluid and have fun:)
Exactly. Don't forget to empty out the car, and be safe and respect the other drivers.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts