IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Edit: TAKE THE POLL BEFORE YOU GO, PLEASE.

I went through the trouble of putting this together for some fogs I was selling and thought it might be a useful resource for those considering installing STI fog lights on their cars. From my own experience, you do not have to remove the bumper to install the USDM ones, while I have heard that the JDM ones require a complete bumper disassembly which does not look to crazy but I have not tackled such a challenge as of yet:

JDM:>>>>>

USDM:>>>>

M

·
0 Posts
JDM looks way more aggressive to me, although i don't like the little vent lines on the outsides of them as much as they openings on the US set.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Well, I love the look of the JDMs, don't get me wrong.

I think that foglights on a sports car are somewhat pointless, especially with HIDs. Not to mention that the foglights are less aerodynamic at higher speeds. The difference is so slight, but every little thing counts ;)

·
So Gangster It Hurts
3,521 Posts
Stock Re070s tires FS

You're going to keep your newly-arrived JDM fogs and sell your USDM ones instead, aren't you? ;)

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It seems like a lot of work to remove the bumper and go through all the motions just for the lights. If I am going to invest the effort, i need some performance gains....

Any idea whether they light up the road more?

·
Registered
12 Posts
A member at nasioc had his bumper cut to fit the jdms, don't have the link, but it didn't go into any detail about what was cut, any thoughts from anyone who's installed the jdms ?

I think the jdm fogs really complement the front end but $600 is steep for looks, 0 perf, and potential safety/ins. concerns (might be the same case with cutting your existing bumper).

If the price was say 1/2 that, I think I'd have fewer ins/safety concerns. :wink:

·
Registered
454 Posts
I like the look of the JDM lights better.... I'd like to put them on my car, even, but I'm concerned about safety issues of changing the bumper. I would prefer a dedicated amber fog light to a clear driving light, though. The HIDs on the STi are awesome, and I don't really see a burning need for more light.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Duplicate Post

How about the fourth option, sell the JDMs b/c you'll get more money for them. Then take out the USDM fogs and put in air ducts for improved brake cooling.
IMO any other lights than headlights are a waste of money unless they mount on the top of your car, have PIAA covers and say "For offroad use only"! :D

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
Then take out the USDM fogs and put in air ducts for improved brake cooling.
Make a custom cold air tunnel to your car!! lol those JDM lights look awsome. I definitely want a set!!

Robert~

·
Registered
342 Posts
I like the look of the JDMs,but im not hacking the bumper beam to get a minimal amount of light and a fair amount of "look".

my two cents
Rudy

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Edit: http://www.imprezawrxsti.com/postnuke/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=6291

I updated to some newer, better looking pictures because I was bored. I will have a set of USDM fogs. The surrounds are in silver just like in teh USDM picture. These will bolt right up without any modification to any other part on the car. A special 3M protective material has been applied to protect the lense from rock chips. It is absolutely unnoticeable and really preserves the fog light from damage.

Check out the group buy for JDMs if you like them

·
Registered
454 Posts
How soon are you ordering these? I'm interested in buying some, but I'm not quite ready. Depending on when you're planning on placing the order, I may or may not be interested in getting in on it.

I want the ones like these, not the clear ones:

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I am thinking as soon as I have commitments from a few people, then I will do it. What is your time horizon?

The lights you want are the multicolored (yellow looking), which are more expensive than blue, which are more expensive than clear. I will look into it a bit more to figure out pricing. last I checked, which was a few weeks ago, the blue were $25 more than the clear, and the multicolored were $25 more than blue. Obviously with currency fluctuations those prices could have gone up or down, but at least you can see the spread.

Does anybody know if the blue actually shines blue and the multicolored actually shines yellow? Or do they just look like that when turned off, but when on shine white like the clear?

EDIT: I am starting a classifieds ad since this is not a place for this: http://www.imprezawrxsti.com/postnuke/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&p=60708#60708

·
Registered
454 Posts
2004 JDM Fog Light Package Deal for the USDM STI & WRX)

The guy that owns (owned? It was on ebay for sale) that STi in the picture is on this board, I saw a thread here of him talking about them, and he said they look blue but are actually yellow. I want something that is more of a true fog light, not a driving light. I only intend to use them in fog.

My timeframe... I'm probably 30-60 days away. I just bought my car, and that dreaded first payment is next week.... I'm kinda tapped from buying it, but will be back on track in that time frame.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts