IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Should have started this some time ago, but haven't had the time to type everything. Going to backtrack and fill in as much info as I have/remember. I did document a lot of it, so this "should" work. Please be patient with me, as I may be doing some back and forth/edits. Will do index page once I have some content in here.

Had a few Subaru STI's, with this one being my latest one. Picked this one up on April 11th, 2015. Car is a 2015 Subaru STI, base model, ISM, w/HK/nav/PBS/STS and Kicker powered sub. The car also included some accessories. They were the all weather floormats, all weather trunk mat, the body colored door side moulding things, and the auto dimming mirror w/compass.

Here's some pics of the car the night I picked it up. 7 miles on the clock. Not the greatest pics.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Picked up the car on a Friday night. First round of mods happened on the following Monday (4/14/14); which was only about 2.5 days of ownership. Changed the oil with Rotella T6 before anything, at 470 miles. I went stage 1 on EcuTek Racerom. I have been following the progress of EcuTek, and really like their adjustable launch control (with crise control buttons), as well as rally style flat foot shifting. Visconti Tuning did the tune on the car, at M.R. Performance. Tuned on the dyno. Baselined 279/255 (there was a timing spike at redline, which explains the high hp). Left that there day on stage one with 293/325. I was surprised and happy. Car felt pretty good.

Attachments

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
4/18/14. Went back in for round 2! Stage 1 was fun, but I wanted more power. Installed AEM CAI, Invidia catless downpipe and Invidia Q300 catback exhaust with the burnt tips. All of the abpve parts were for the GR bodystyle STI. Everything fit with minor adjustment. The exhaust physically fits, but 1 hanger doesn't reach, which isn't an issue. Also, to line up the exhaust tips/center them, took a while. Also, the front side of the muffler cans touches the rear bumper's inner fender plastic thing. You can either trim out about 1/8th to 1/4" on each side, or be like me and just leave it. The mufflers barely touches. I just left mine. It seems fine. No rattles or anything, and no rubbing.The AEM CAI's heat shield thing needed one hole drilled for one of the mounting points, and also the flat/creased part needed to be bent outwards slightly, to accommodate the 2015's slightly different frame rails. Not a big deal at all.

So stage 2 in this car made 309whp/340ish tq (forgot actual numbers). With the catback installed, it made 319whp/355tq. The car is a lot of fun at this power level.

Below are some pics from that day, including dyno graph, with stock, stage 1 and stage 2, overlayed.

Attachments

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Milestone moment. 1000 miles. "Broken in", whatever that means. This was a week or 2 after being at stage 2. Daily drive this thing, and I park on the street at work in NYC.

Attachments

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
FlexFuel.

This is when things got interesting. End of April, I decided to go flexfuel. Spoke to Visconti, and he told me Ecutek Racerom supports true flexfuel. It did need some hardware. Visconti Tuning sells a flexfuel kit to be used with Ecutek Racerom. It's pretty much a plug n play kit that includes an ethanol content gauge, sensor, a controller box and some wiring harnesses. The install was very straightforward and simple. Didn't have to hack into anything. On top of this, the car needed bigger injectors and bigger fuel pump. I went with FIC 900cc injectors and DW65C fuel pump. Injector install kinda sucks, because one of the fuel rail metal brackets blocks a bolt that needs to come off to remove fuel rails, and to undo this bracket, the intake manifold has to come off. When we did ours, we loosened the intake manifold and just lifted it up a bit, without taking it off. The fuel pump install gets messy, but here are a few things you need to know. It can probably be a 1 man job, but you will be glad to have a second set of hands at your disposal. I found it much easier to take out the center sections with a friend holding the housing apart with flathead screwdrivers. You will know what I mean when you get there. Also, do this install with little to no gas in your tank. By little, I mean like 1/16th, or down to the very last line on your gauge, with your gas light on. The fuel pump housing has a bucket thing that holds fuel, and this whole assembly sits in gas. It can get very ugly very fast if you try this with even 1/4-1/3 tank of gas. I can see it spilling from the top as you remove the housing. Also, remember to use TWO o-rings on the fuel pump. It needs this to seal. DW does include 2 of them. You will lose fuel pressure if you don't.

The Ecutek/Visconti Tuning flexfuel setup is awesome, in the way that you can put in pump gas, E85, or any mixture in between, and the car will know what to do with it. It has multiple maps, and knows what to do with what's in the tank. No more switching maps manually, or worrying about the ethanol content is in the E85 you get, or the type of mixture of gas/ethanol you have going on in the tank.

The car picked up somewhere around peak 37whp and 43tq at the same 20psi of boost. The torque is what you can really feel. Peak power is nice, and what people all drool over, but it's the power under the curve that you feel. The turbo spools faster, and when it hits, it hits much harder than when on pump gas. If E85 is attainable in your area, I recommend you go and do it. It is also safer for your motor, as ethanol has cooling effects which helps keep the motor happy.

So far, parts on the car include:
EcuTek Racerom
AEM CAI
Invidia catless downpope
Invidia Q300 with burnt tips
Visconti Tuning flexfuel kit
DW65C pump
FIC 900cc injectors
Everything else is stock

I tried to upload a dyno video, but this site won't take .mov format, and I'm computer stupid. I do have vids posted on my Instagram account, @9900rpm.

Attachments

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What did you make again on Flex fuel? Are you or have you experienced Boost Creep issues? Have you put on an EBCS?
Made 356/398 on E85 (I believe that was with only 75% ethanol content). No boost creep issues. I run the Invidia catless downpipe/Q300 exhaust, and I believe the downpipe has the bellmouth top with a divider thing inside it for the wastegate hole. It works. Boost is rock solid. This little stock turbo probably won't creep anyway. It can't keep up upstairs. Running stock EBCS.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Made 356/398 on E85 (I believe that was with only 75% ethanol content). No boost creep issues. I run the Invidia catless downpipe/Q300 exhaust, and I believe the downpipe has the bellmouth top with a divider thing inside it for the wastegate hole. It works. Boost is rock solid. This little stock turbo probably won't creep anyway. It can't keep up upstairs. Running stock EBCS.
Awesome! Nice numbers - how is it to drive?

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Awesome! Nice numbers - how is it to drive?
The car drives very well. For a stock turbo car, it's a lot of fun. Being that it's still on stock clutch also, the car is very civilized. Feels like stock, only slightly louder (Q300 is very quiet), and quite a bit faster.

Took it to the track in this format. Results coming up on the next post.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
So now that I have E85 in the tank (83% ethanol content), I had the itch to go run some numbers. As of right now, I have made 3 trips to my local dragstrip (Raceway park in NJ). Here's what I got so far.

Few things about the car. Ran on E85 everytime (different content). Car weighed exactly the same, every time out, at 3520lbs. This is with 1/4 tank or so of E85, and me inside the car, at 170lbs. Kicker powered sub out, spare tire out.

1st time there, I stayed in line for an hour and a half, just for it to rain out. They gave everyone rainchecks. Didn't even get to make a single pass. FML.

2nd time there, a week after, conditions sucked. It rained earlier that day, cleared up a little, and eventually rained again. I was surprised they even let people run, as there was like, dew drops on the ground. Anyway, the car went 12.6 @ 108mph on the first pass. The launch sucked (I believe it was a high 1.8). It spon very little then bogged, then took off. Launch control was at 4800rpm. The 2-3 shift just wasn't as solid as I would have liked it.

Next pass, I raised launch control to 5600rpm. No fucks given. That was stupid though. On that pass, the ground was even uglier than the first pass. Cooked tires coming out, and got some wheel hop. Mid 1.8 60 foot, went 12.4 @ 110mph if I remember correctly. 2-3 shift was good.

3rd pass (last pass of the night), I lowered launch control down to 5000rpm. Got a still crappy 1.84 60 foot, but managed to run 12.28 @ 113.16mph. I was ok with that.

I don't know how to embed, but here's the link to the video.

2015 Subaru STI, Drag Racing, 12.2 @ 113mph - YouTube

Fast forward a week. Took the car back to the track. Unfortunately the E85 station I went to was still on the winter blend of E85, which was only 77%. Cars kept breaking in front of my at the line, which was discouraging. Made 3 passes, and it went like this.

12.23, 12.27 and 12.28, at 111.7, 110.9 then 111.5mph. 60's were getting better, with 1.71, 1.70 and 1.72. I guess bracket racing would be my thing. Anyway, my 2011 was pulling deep 1.6's back in the day with similar mods. I'm sure with a little more seat time, and finding the right launch rpm, I'll be there with this car as well. 12.2 was OK for the night, but I was scratching my head to why I lost 2mph since my last outing. Talking to my tuner afterwards, he said that ethanol content does play a part in power, and difference between 77% and 83% could mean a degree of ignition of timing that the ecu would have given me, which would explain the trap speed difference. I believed that the car had 11.9 in it that night, should the car have gone 113mph. It didn't. Oh well. There's always next time.

Follow me on Youtube and IG, @9900rpm. Have stuff posted there to prevent clogging up this thread.

Attachments

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Shameless plug. If anyone wants to sponsor me with parts/services for a mutually beneficial relationship, drop me a PM!!

Follow me on YouTube and Instagram, @9900rpm.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
This is all with stock header correct? Any plans to upgrade?
Where did you hit peak torque on E85?
Yes, stock header. Looking into my options for an EL header.

Peak torque was around 4100rpm. It's pretty flat up before it, and very flat after. Picked up a bunch of torque under the curve on ethanol.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Mid May, I took the car in to have Ceramic Pro 9h applied. It is a paint protection thing that is available at certain detail shops. Did some research on it, and it's pretty crazy. There are youtube videos out there showing what it is and what it does. It wasn't cheap. They made me pay for a detail before they would apply this. The results were awesome! Pics don't do it justice, but it makes the paint really shine, and is very, very easy to clean. It was applied to all painted surface, all black/rubber surfaces, windshield and wheels.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Damn bro ..u went ceramic pro, youre pretty much my hero. Ive been following the company for a long time, it really is awesome awesome stuff but hard to find here. At least i havent been able to find it stateside. Finding someone to do it is even harder. Im guessing were looking at 2k+?

Rev

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
I'm guessing you must pass thru the ~Elizabeth area in order to obtain the E85, going into the city??
Being out in NW jerz, there's no E85 to be found, or else I woulda done it a long, longggg time ago :p:(

You ever consider coming up to Island dragway, in Independence/Great Meadows? One night in one of my old cars, I was able to get 22 runs in, in 1 night, for less than E-town's $/3 passes :rofl:

1 - 20 of 81 Posts