IW STi Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well, i am still constructing a system for the sti and i am now considering the possibility of putting image dynamics 8" v3 subs in the rear deck.
@ www.sounddomain.com they are listed as being compatible with free air installation.
i am trying to limit the amount of weight i introduce into the vehicle. initially i looked into a 10 or 12" sub that can work well in a small sealed enclosure, but once the 2 amps are racked in the trunk as well i will have a considerable amount of weight (~100lbs or more) back there.

are the rear decks in our cars strong enough to support a pair of 8" subs?
should i reinforce the deck? and what kind of rattling should i expect?

thanks for the help

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
I think the rear deck could handle it considering it is metal under the carpeting. Only thing, you would have to do a lot of cutting of the metal. I originally wanted 6.5" coax back there and at the last minute the installers went with 5.25" due to space and they still had to cut a little. I think it would have to be your call on that. As fas as handling it I don't think there would be a problem. Not sure on rattling, just use a lot of sound deadener like dynomat or something.

·
Registered
167 Posts
chrisfx811 said:
well, i am still constructing a system for the sti and i am now considering the possibility of putting image dynamics 8" v3 subs in the rear deck.
@ www.sounddomain.com they are listed as being compatible with free air installation.
i am trying to limit the amount of weight i introduce into the vehicle. initially i looked into a 10 or 12" sub that can work well in a small sealed enclosure, but once the 2 amps are racked in the trunk as well i will have a considerable amount of weight (~100lbs or more) back there.

are the rear decks in our cars strong enough to support a pair of 8" subs?
should i reinforce the deck? and what kind of rattling should i expect?

thanks for the help
Very interesting......I don't think anyone has tried this. You might try asking an installer. I would think they would work without reinforcement., dependign on weight. As, far as rattling - its anyone's guess really.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: Burnt Clutch Smell

thanks for the opinions.
i am going to a shop now to have them take a look.
i realized i am more into this car for the performance than in turning it into an audio head turner.
if this is not feasible i have found some very nice subs by elemental designs that work well in very small sealed enclosures.
their avionixx amps are also aggressively priced and seem well recieved on some forums.

keep the opinions coming.. thanks

·
Registered
125 Posts
04 STI Stock Springs

are you sure you want a sub aimed directly at the thin rear window?? Not sure what may happen but the rear windshield is pretty thin, ehh on second thought you can be our guinea pig. Let us all know how it turns out :)

·
Registered
396 Posts
Instead of 2 amps, buy one that does everything. I know kicker has a couple that are 5 channel amps. 4 channels for your door speakers and then 1 higher wattage channel for the sub. This might save you some weight and space.

-Lance

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ya, the 8" subs are a no go now.
i am instead looking @ elemental designs "a" series sub in an audioformz fiberglass enclosure.

may end up with a 5 channel amp, depending on the sub i get

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Not withstanding the windsheild issues, talk about Rattle city. Glad you reconsidered.. :)

·
Registered
99 Posts
Well when ever I get a car that's worth installing a sweet system in I was thinking of something like this.

but with 2 8" subs and the amp mounted between. And angle it so it wouldn't block the back window. With the holes already in the deck you could stick the back ends of the subs into the holes...if that makes any sence.
And if you got a good installer that knows what he's doing with wood/fiber glass/sound dampning there shouldnt be any rattles.

·
Registered
282 Posts
chrisfx811 said:
ya, the 8" subs are a no go now.
i am instead looking @ elemental designs "a" series sub in an audioformz fiberglass enclosure.

may end up with a 5 channel amp, depending on the sub i get
I've got a pair of Avionixx 400.2's and they work pretty nice. I also have an ED e10o.14 that I haven't installed yet so I can't really say how it sounds. One of my 400.2 is bridged and will feed the e10o (the 400 W is at 12 V so it should be a bit more at 14.4 V which should be perfect for my sub).

I don't think you're going to find a 5 channel with a big enough sub portion to power the A-series sub you're ordering. Those things are quite power hungry and really like the 1000 W range to produce the best sound. That's the reason I went with the O-series... needs less power (which means lighter and smaller amp), lighter sub itself, smaller dimensions, and it's made for a small sealed enclosure.

The A-series are really supposed to be some of the best speakers out there, just don't want you to be dissapointed if the 5th channel isn't cutting it. You'll want a big single amp for it, or step down to one of their other subs.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Anyone want to get that sleeper look?

decided against 5 ch amp because most of them use a single power supply for all 5 ch's.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts