IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got back from the beach yesterday and got up this morning and there is a small puddle of fresh oil under the car and the oil is a quart low. I had somebody check the exhaust and also checked my self when the car was running and it initially appears the car is using oil since it's spitting from the exhaust. I took 3,000 miles to break in the engine, and changed the oil at 1,000 and 3,000 miles the latter being full synthetic. I am so pissed. :evil: I just installed my Blitz SUS last week and hope that it doesn't cause any problems honoring the warranty. How will the dealer determine what is causing the consumption. And if it is using oil, what course of action will they take. I waited so damn long for this car i'm pissed beyond belief.

·
Registered
81 Posts
SilverSTI,

Where was the oil dripping from? The oil pan, the filter, the exhaust?

Give us some more details and we can help you pinpoint the problem. What exactly has been done (and when) to the car so far in terms of break in, oil, mods, etc?

I am in only in Pittsburgh and will be passing through Morgantown later this week with my STi if you want to hook up and take a look at it.

PM me if you want to meet up.
Chris

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have to get under the car and remove the splash guard to try to see where the leak may be, but like I said the leak is small and doesn't appear to be the attribute to the large amount of oil that is no longer in the engine. Oil appears to burning from looking at the exhuast when the car is running. The car was broken in for 3k miles and not shifting beyond 4k rpms for the break in period. The only mod was the SUS that I installed last week.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Did you use the right oil filter? They were on nation wide backorder, and are just starting to get to the dealers. They are different from the ones in the WRX. SFRinNJ

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ldivinag said:
you forgot to mention the jiffy lube part, like your post on nasioc...
The Jiffy Lube point is moot. I was there for every second that it was in their parking lot and check my oil frequenly and if was full when I did my second oil change and before going to the beach this weekend, which happened to be 3,000 miles since I changed. Let try to forget Jiffy Lube shall we. :roll:

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
SFRinNJ said:
Did you use the right oil filter? They were on nation wide backorder, and are just starting to get to the dealers. They are different from the ones in the WRX. SFRinNJ
I did use the filter for a WRX, but as I understand they do fit, that is why I used it. I plan on getting under the car tomorrow. But I do think If the car was leaking enough to lose a quart of oil I would have noticed something this weekend.

·
Registered
176 Posts
eagle one wheel cleaner seems to work really well...

If you're burning oil, maybe you switched to synthetic too soon. Subaru does recommend a proper break in period to make sure everything "seals" right with the recommended stock oil for 10,000 miles.
That may not have anything to do w/ your problem but it's a possibility. Well, on the bright side it will be taken care of at the dealership with the warranty. Take it in. Try to get an explanation from them. I'm sure everyone would like to know what is going on. Good luck!

·
Registered
631 Posts
I'm betting on an oil filter problem. the gasket is different, I think.

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
Well if it is an oil filter problem then Subaru has another problem if they are not supplying the dealers with them. I have already had my first oil change and soon to have my second. Probably would be on my 3rd if I was driving my STi daily right away. My dealer told me there is no special STi filter, so if dealers are putting the wrong filter on cars then that is BS.

I would check the drain plug. It might be loose. That was a problem I had the LAST time I went to a "jiffy" lube type place. If not that then like Murley said, the gasket. It might be wrong or not even there.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Im betting is has something to do with what you did to the car. Most likely the leaking is a product of the WRX filter or drain plug or whatever. Besides, you did go 3000 km without a problem...

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Where the oil accumulates is right in the center of the car, so that would rule out the oil filter, but then again there is the splash guard. I won't know until I am able to get under the car. I'm hoping the problem is an easy fix and not a major repair. :(

·
Registered
631 Posts
Well, maybe if you're lucky you'll pull the cover off to find a 14" crack in the bottom of the block. Then you'll know for sure what the problem is, where it's located, and that you didn't directly cause it. Plus, it'll be a warranty fix.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What's the chance that my dealer will see the Blitz SUS filter and try to say that caused my problem and voids my warranty. Just in case I didn't take it back to stock ,which I will.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
if so, challenge 'em to suggest a *plausible* explanation of how this is so. i really wouldn't worry. (btw, you in western WV. how far is that from summit point raceway? it'd be nice to get more STis at the oct 24th friday-at-the-track even. interested?)

·
Registered
631 Posts
Nahhh, sorry I can't make it.

Oh, wait, you were talking to that other guy....
:)

·
Registered
467 Posts
All be careful to get the proper filter. I originally picked up a couple from the dealer..of course I asked for the "'04 STi" filter, and would've walked out of there with the wrong ones if the service guy hadn't seen them in my hand as I spoke to him about another issue. Turns out that dealer was out of stock on the STi filters. So be sure that the new one (don't have the P/N at the moment looks just like the original...it's very small.

As far as being a quart low, did you confirm that Jiffy Lube filled yit to the "full" level after the car had run? Did you check it a day later after the change? IOW, I suspect you've got two problems...a minor leak of oil due to improper filter or just a loose one. And simply the need to add a bit more.

Anyway, get under there and find out where the leak is coming from!!!

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
4MLA1FN said:
if so, challenge 'em to suggest a *plausible* explanation of how this is so. i really wouldn't worry. (btw, you in western WV. how far is that from summit point raceway? it'd be nice to get more STis at the oct 24th friday-at-the-track even. interested?)
I'd defintely be interested, I'm in Morgantown which is 70 miles south of Pittsburgh. I am not actully sure wher Summit Point is but i'm willing to take the drive.

·
Registered
119 Posts
OK guys here it is the part number for the STI oil filter. My dealer has them in stock. Got one for a friend, and this comes from the box and the receipt: 15208AA080. I understand that all of the dealers should be getting them in stock about now. Have a good night. SFRinNJ

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
Hmmm... I just checked with my Subaru dealer... The first person I talked to said they have not been informed by Subaru to use any other type of filter other than the WRX one. SO, I mentioned about this topic that has been on going for a while now and asked if someone could look up the above part number. He connected me with parts. The guy looked up part #15208AA080 and said it comes back as an emblem. The only oil filter he had was the WRX one that is part #15208AA060. Now I am confused. I think I am going to send an email to Subaru and see what they say.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts