IW STi Forum banner

41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Rods wont fail in compression :confused:

Tensile, Yes, Fatigue, Yes, bending Yes. Compression, No. Compression strength of a rod is always far greater than any force it will ever see even with 521 hp.

Why is everyone so angry? Its a cool dyno exercise and thats about it. Anyone who thinks that motor is going to stand up to those power levels is a little naive. And its not just the motor... axles, differential, transmission, they are all going to go.

We have all seen STi's snap axles and blow motors with less power :rolleyes:

All you fanboys need to be realistic. That motor isnt made of unobtanium, its not bullet proof and its certainly not meant for those power levels. You guys are smoking something good :lol:

·
Registered
906 Posts
If they can prove the BRZ engine can handle 300 whp for at least 60k miles reliably, that will probably be my next car. I am definitely paying attention to all these build threads.

·
pwn n00bs
18,211 Posts
like any car with mods added, the motor will fail at one point. stage 2 sti's fail eventually...depending. but can go a lot of miles before hand.

·
Registered
906 Posts
like any car with mods added, the motor will fail at one point. stage 2 sti's fail eventually...depending. but can go a lot of miles before hand.
I have friends with SR20DE equipped vehicles making 150+ hp more than stock, and they are still running with well over 100k miles. Same goes for the turbo/SC mustang GT engines. Failing with mild modifications seem to be a phenomenon found in Subaru engines more so than other performance engines. At least that's what it seems like from reading the forums. The engineers that developed this powertrain (WRX STI) decided to walk the line with the factor of safety. Good for them, bad for us.

·
pwn n00bs
18,211 Posts
I have friends with SR20DE equipped vehicles making 150+ hp more than stock, and they are still running with well over 100k miles. Same goes for the turbo/SC mustang GT engines. Failing with mild modifications seem to be a phenomenon found in Subaru engines more so than other performance engines. At least that's what it seems like from reading the forums. The engineers that developed this powertrain (WRX STI) decided to walk the line with the factor of safety. Good for them, bad for us.
right on, i wasn't really doubting other vehicles. but it's safe to say, you're putting yourself at risk by changing OEM parts.:) some motors can def handle it. our poor ej25..nope lol.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I am doubtful as are some others on here about the longevity of the motor and other whirly bits. Who was it JD Power or Consumer Reports that ranked the Ford Mustang as having greater reliability than even the STi and it was the 2013 models that were evaluated. That is pretty bad. The Mustang use to have absolutely horrible reliability.

Don't get me wrong I hope those of us that are skeptical are proven wrong and that the motor and other bits are up to the job of modification. It is never fun having a car you constantly are replacing parts on.

·
Banned
193 Posts
If you have followed FBM in their BRZ, the original shop car, which is now getting a built motor put in was running at these power levels for a while. They actually tried to get it to blow up just to see what the limit of the engine was, and found with good tuning, it couldnt be done by actually driving the car, so they gave up and just put in the built motor. So they could start testing the built engine and going bigger.... Lol, some shops are proving the FA20 is solid. But then again, it is an engine that is built to such tight tolerances that it REQUIRES 0w20 oil to achieve proper oil pressure, and lubrication of the bearings, so it would make sense that with good tuning the thing will hold together for a while.

41 - 47 of 47 Posts