IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi... I just had my custom sound system put in my sti, and when i dropped it off i reminded the guy a thousand times to keep it light! I got it back with two 12"s in the back. it sounds great, a little too much base but im happy with the job they did... really perofessional. He said the system probably weighs about 50lbs... I am a freak when it comes to weight. Any little thing that makes the car heavier is something bad. I almost had a sleepless night thinking of my car being heavy and all... haha :oops: Anyway.... do you guys think that this will slow the car down by alot? it doesnt feel slower... my friends r telling me that im crazy... just wanted to see what you guys thought...? thanks guys..
Eric B.

·
Registered
454 Posts
50 lbs in a 13 second car would probably cost you .05 seconds in a 1/4 mile ET. It won't make that much of a difference.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I'm not so sure the 13 second car part is relevant, but I think a general rule of thumb is every 100 lbs is a tenth of a second. So, his figure would be accurate.

·
Registered
454 Posts
STi_This said:
DrEvyl said:
50 lbs in a 13 second car would probably cost you .05 seconds in a 1/4 mile ET. It won't make that much of a difference.
What are you basing this on? Your figures sound off.
Personal experience over 4 seasons on the drag strip.

evoklr said:
I'm not so sure the 13 second car part is relevant, but I think a general rule of thumb is every 100 lbs is a tenth of a second. So, his figure would be accurate.
General rule of thumb, but as the E/T changes the rules also changes as well.

For example... 50 lbs would affect a 15 second car differently than a 10 second car.

The 100 lbs = .1 rule typically applies to cars in the 13 second range.

·
Registered
385 Posts
DrEvyl said:
STi_This said:
DrEvyl said:
What are you basing this on? Your figures sound off.
Personal experience over 4 seasons on the drag strip.

evoklr said:
General rule of thumb, but as the E/T changes the rules also changes as well.

For example... 50 lbs would affect a 15 second car differently than a 10 second car.

The 100 lbs = .1 rule typically applies to cars in the 13 second range.
.1 makes more sense then the .5 you stated earlier. Afterall we are dealing with 13 second cars here right?

·
Registered
454 Posts
STi_This said:
.1 makes more sense then the .5 you stated earlier. Afterall we are dealing with 13 second cars here right?
I didn't say .5 I said .05.

If 100 lbs = .1 second

Then 50 lbs = .05 second

·
Registered
586 Posts
While I find this debate about how much weight slows a car down informative, take a closer look at the original question.

I just had my custom sound system put in my sti, and when i dropped it off i reminded the guy a thousand times to keep it light! I got it back with two 12"s in the back. it sounds great, a little too much base
Did you tell them you wanted two 12"? That's way overkill in almost all vehicles. If you're looking to register up on the Richter Scale, then two 12" would be a good start. But you get really good bass that doesn't wake the neghbors with only a single 10". You say that there is too much bass, you're openly admitting that the twin 12"s are over the top for you.

but im happy with the job they did... really perofessional.
If they were really professional, they would have actually taken the time to consult with you about exactly they were going to put in your system. They also should have told you about how much the installed system was gonna weigh. Ok, we'll say they're top notch installers, this is bad for weight. High quality subs and component speakers have really big magnets, which weigh quite a bit.

He said the system probably weighs about 50lbs... I am a freak when it comes to weight. Any little thing that makes the car heavier is something bad. I almost had a sleepless night thinking of my car being heavy and all
The STi comes stock without a stereo for, tadaa, weight savings. The mere fact that you spent money on a sound system shows that there are more important things about your car than having a stripped out track machine. And look at it this way, your headunit and component speakers weigh as much as a stock stereo would. So the only true weight gain is the sub. ~30 pound gain for what sounds like a killer system? Even with the dual 12"s, I'd still say it's worth it.

do you guys think that this will slow the car down by alot? it doesnt feel slower... my friends r telling me that im crazy... just wanted to see what you guys thought...? thanks guys..
Eric B.
Technically, if you drove for into a big cloud of mosquitos, the added weight from all the mosquitos mashed onto your windshield would reduce performance. But, realisically, if you can't tell any difference in performance, it's not worth your time worrying about.

You can actually build a very nice system without subs by using top quality component speakers and amping the front channels. I'm helping out a guy do exactly that on this thread. If you do want a sub and weight savings, sell the box with the 12"s and buy a single 10". Still, your best bet is to leave it like it is and be happy that even with 30-50 extra pounds, you can still outperform the vast majority of cars out on the road. 8)

You're Welcome,
Good Luck Eric!

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks alot for youre replies guys... I shoudl be getting my injen intake and samco hose set soon, so hopefully that will make up for the weight... :D hehe jk....

·
Registered
195 Posts
If that system only weights 50lbs I'll stand on my head! :roll:

I put together my own system and made alot of compromises to ensure it was at light as possible, that meant no big amps, subs, and enclosures, I ended up running a single 8" Diamond Audio sub in a special box that fit under the passenger seat, along with diamond audio components and a single amp. Including the deck and all wiring it came in a little over 38lbs! A single Rockford Punch 12" sub is 13lbs, and thats not even one of the heaviest, so even if your enclosure is only 20lbs, your looking at almost 50lbs just in the box before amp, deck, F/R speakers, wiring... :(

·
Registered
33 Posts
Just take off the rear spoiler, or swap with a WRX, and replace the stock header with an after market one, by doing just those two things, you will drop about 50 lbs. I did.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Invisiguard said:
If that system only weights 50lbs I'll stand on my head! :roll:

I put together my own system and made alot of compromises to ensure it was at light as possible, that meant no big amps, subs, and enclosures, I ended up running a single 8" Diamond Audio sub in a special box that fit under the passenger seat, along with diamond audio components and a single amp. Including the deck and all wiring it came in a little over 38lbs! A single Rockford Punch 12" sub is 13lbs, and thats not even one of the heaviest, so even if your enclosure is only 20lbs, your looking at almost 50lbs just in the box before amp, deck, F/R speakers, wiring... :(
Good point, I was a little lazy about actually looking up the weights of various components, especially the subs. But don't give him anymore reason to be paranoid about the weight of his system. :roll:

So your entire system is 38 pounds? With a sub, that's pretty impressive. How does it sound? I would imagine that the 8" sub is more than adequate. IMO anything more than a single sub is going from personal enjoyment to "I'm gonna share my music with everyone in a three block radius, whether they like it or not."

I'm not sure if I'll put a sub in my system or not, a friend of who's awesome at audio suggested to me that I would be better off spending the money and having the weight of a standalone equalizer than a sub.
Have you heard this before?

·
So Gangster It Hurts
3,521 Posts
I know I spent a bit more money than the average guy on the stereo in my car, but the weight savings, sound quality, and SPACE savings more than make up for it.

Here's the bulk of my system (obviously there are cabin speakers, changer, deck and wiring to add-in). I know the system isn't the lightest, the sub alone is very heavy, but I made sure the install helped to counteract all that. The sub enclosure weighs less than a pound before mounting the driver to it. ;)

Conservative estimate would place my system at the 50 lb mark. Could be as high as 60, but that'd be a stretch I think.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I'm not sure if I'll put a sub in my system or not, a friend of who's awesome at audio suggested to me that I would be better off spending the money and having the weight of a standalone equalizer than a sub.
Have you heard this before?
Im not sure about the EQ, but thats not going to get you any bass :-?

If you can live without "boulevard cruiser" bass than a good 8" sub can really move alot of air, and theres a TON of space under the passenger seat. The box is sealed and has .45 cu.ft. which is perfect for my a Diamond M3 sub. I'll post a pic tommorow

·
Registered
52 Posts
Don't worry about the extra weight. The two 12"s in the trunk will help your STi get the cool fishtailin' Initial D-style drift hooked up on turns! That'll be TIGHT! Plus you can turn those 12" bad boyz toward the rear to give the STi some bonus sound pressure turbo boost! 8)

Okay, so that's not all true, but at least you've got tunes. :D

1 - 20 of 23 Posts