IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've had the car about 2 months now and am just getting around to posting a journal. Some info on me. I'm coming out of a Mazdaspeed6 that I modded and tracked pretty extensively, costing me 2 turbos in the process, which is partially why I gave up the MS6 and got into the STi...it's much more trackable, and there are infinitely more aftermarket parts!

Pic of the MS6

As to options, I picked up a base STi with Auto Dimming mirror, Subwoofer, and iPod adapter

Some pics of the STi in action

Mods as of 4/2009
Performance:
Cobb AP
Perrin Stage 1 Map
Perrin 22mm front and rear sways
EBC Yellow Brake Pads
Motul 600 RBF
OZ 18x9 Ultraleggera wheels
Falken RT 615's in 255/40/18
Alignment : -.9 camber front, -1.5 camber rear, 0.0 toe

Non performance:
Full window tint
Hardwired RX-65, remote mute on the dash
Best of all, stickers galore!

First HPDE in the new STi at TWS

Attachments

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: 4wdfun's 2008 SSM STi Journal

Sways showed today, they go on Thursday, and no, the baby is not part of the deal :)

·
Registered
160 Posts

That's awesome you're using the STi for what it was made for, racing. Is that your professional swaybar installer?

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

That's awesome you're using the STi for what it was made for, racing. Is that your professional swaybar installer?
LOL, yah, she's small enough to get in there and work the wrench where I can't :lol:

If you haven't done a track event, I definitely recommend it. At a minimum you come out a better driver even if you only do one HPDE. At max you become a track addict and spend all your spare cash on mods and events :D

I fall into the latter group, though my wife wishes it were for the former!

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

And the sways and wheels are on:

I hit the track the weekend of the 8th, will give my driving opinions of the Perrin's and OZ's then

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)

Fresh from the track with some comments I wanted to make

1st off, on the OE pads. I would seriously recommend anyone who tracks replace the OE pads with something more track worthy. I had planned to before my first event in September, but was talked out of it by several friends and the fact I knew I would not push too hard my first event. Well, I changed them last Thursday night (11/7/08) before I drove to TWS and here is what the driver side front OE pads looked like after the event in September, sorry for the poor res, was with my phone

NOT GOOD. Cracked from 1~3mm deep across the surface from heat stress. I knew something was amiss the last run session in September when they really started to fade, I even came in a few laps early with them smoking like crazy. But I never expected to see anything like this when I removed them!

That said, I am very happy with the EBC Yellows. The control tower focked up and gave us 30 minute runs instead of 24 minutes and they never faded, though I did blow through over half a tank a run session due to the extended time ;-)

The sways definitely helped, the car rotated easier and I did not have to use lift throttle to turn the car nearly as much as I had last time. That said, I think I will move it to the center spot (230% stiffer than OE) before the next run session and see if I can get a little bit more of a slip angle than I have now :D

Unfortunately the track photographer was a no show this time so I don't have any before/after pics to compare of the car cornering :(

I did take some pics of some the more exotic cars that were there, they are below along with vid from the track, enjoy!

'08 STi reeling in a Viper at TWS

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Some pics from this weekend with the Perrin's sways and OZ wheels on the car, much less body roll when compared to stock, and much easier to kick the tail out with the bar set at the mid point. I'm still debating about going to full stiff :)

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

thanks man! how do you like the 20/22mm set up on your sways? Curious as my wife has been really *****ing now that I've moved to full stiff (supposedly 535% the OE rate) on the rear Perrin. Granted, she is 5mo preggo so feels the car more than I do I bet :)

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)

Updating the Journal, I've been negligent in doing that, I blame my 20mo and my 7mo preggo wife ;^)

Since my last post, I burned through the OE Dunlops at about 7K on the odometer, prolly should have replaced sooner, but I like getting my monies worth out of tires. Here's a shot from my camera phone of the Dunlops when I took them off:

I've since replaced them with Falken RT615's, one of the better cheap dual use - track and street - combos around. I can already say that they are 10x quieter than the Dunlops, there is barely any road noise now compared to how it was, and no more droning noise. I seriously still wonder if those tires were cupped...

Here's a couple of pics of the new tires, 255/40/18 on 18x9" OZ's, no rubbing

Since last time I updated the journal also had to replace my front EBC Yellows. I like their stopping performance at the track, not too happy with their durability, those only had 5 track days on them and they were already at about 35% and were not giving the same stopping power (fading) so swapped before my next event tomorrow. One caveat to their durability is that the last track event I ran was advanced only and we were doing 40 minute - yes 40 - run sessions. It was exhausting, and brutal on the brakes. Last 2 sessions (there were 8 in one day!), I came in about 5 to 10 minutes early as I was missing apexs and making mistakes (2 wheels off).

Also since last time, I picked up one of these :D

And a Perrin Stage One map tuned for 93 octane. The car is completely different. Smooth acceleration, no stumble at 5K, and pulls STRONG to redline. I should have done this from day one!

Only problem now is I have the mod bug and may be turning into a ricer

Catch the Cobb sticker? At this rate I may end up with more stickers than money!

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Was mowing my lawn and threw a rock at the bumper on my car, lucky it did not go higher or it would have busted the rear window.

Net is that it chipped the paint off the bumper and sorta messed up the access door to the tow hooks.

LAME!

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Back from the track and must say the car is definitely quicker running the Perrin S1 map. One place that it was really apparent was on the main and back straight where a guy I track with regularly who has a Cayman S would always *slightly* pull on me, now it's swapped, I barely pull away from him. We're pretty equally matched and we were running 2:03's to 2:06's (he's running a trackmate GPS system) depending on traffic, which there was a lot of...50 cars in the advanced run group that included an SR3 Radical and 2 Ford Spec Racers. Oh, and of course a lot of Vette's, a whole lot of them

As to the new camera I got to replace the GoPro that broke...Well, I can say that I've got about 2 hours of vid. But it all sucks! The mount that came with the Oregon Scientific cam vibrates so badly you almost get motion sick watching it and can barely see anything. I need to find a new way to mount it or fab something up, it's terrible :mad:

Lastly, for a street tire, the 615's worked like a champ...well once you got some temp in them. 2nd run in the morning session I came out on our first hot lap and almost spun off on 13, tires had still not warmed up and I was late-and-trail braking in at about the same speed I had been the previous session and the rear-end let go...found myself pointed almost 90 degrees and looking head on at a corner workers station for just a second, but caught it and reeled it back in, was definitely an o-shyeet moment :D Was all better the following laps. Mental note, do *2* green flag laps before pushing it :tup:

Another guy who's a regular at TWS was in his C5 Z06 right behind me when it happened and came by after the run to say "nice save on 13" - lol

1 - 20 of 29 Posts