IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to know if there is anyone on the site that is at or near 400WHP and Torque? Also what engine management you are using? I've so many stories of people saying they've heard of STi's that are at or over but is there anyone here that is at this level. Just trying to make some decisions on my setup and would like to see what some have done to achieve 400WHP. If there are any could yo also show me some Dyno's?

It's not that I need a 400WHP everyday driver just want to have some fun. I feel with my mods that I'm on my way there but unsure of some next steps.
Here is my list so far:

APS FMIC 725
APS CAI
APS 3" TBE
Perrin EBCS
Ecutek (for now)

I'm at 315WHP now just wanting to see what others have done to make my decisions and Ecutek or UTEC my be one of my choices...

·
Banned
147 Posts
go with the UTEC for map switching ability, youll be glad you did that at a high horsepower setup that way you can have a watered down 350whp on pump for daily, a 400whp aggresive tune for all around fun on pump, and 450whp on race gas for the track.... These numbers are completely made up, just used them as an example to why you might want to go with UTEC, or Cobb Protuner for that matter. Your gonna need to add a larger turbo to your setup. There are a few turbos around that can get you around 400whp on pump gas. Check out Deadbolt, Forced Performance, and Slowboy for turbo setups...... They seem to be real popular around here and they get pretty good reviews from the end users.

·
Registered
639 Posts
nice looking car man, do you have a good shop up there in tampa? If not I've got some guys down here that can hook your car up, they do lots of high end stuff like a 9 second TT 911 thats his daily driver :)

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
We've gotten a consistent 378 whp from an SR55 and just got 388whp from an SZ49. The SZ49 should have made more and we are in discussion about why it didn't and what to do. Deadbolt just released a MZ55 that should do near 400whp on an internal wastegate and pump-gas. So far there is only one in existence (sp?) so it needs more testing.

400whp is pretty serious in these cars. Going with an AVC-R for boost control and a robust Ecutek tune would allow you to run high boost in 1st through 3rd, and then bring it down on pump gas, or run rediculous boost on race gas. This CAN be done on one map. All you would do is add race gas and crank up the boost. The car can run quite well on pump at 19 psi, and race at 24-26 psi, without changing tunes. Of course being able to lean it out and run even more timing would be possible with tuning specifically for race gas...

SS

·
Registered
811 Posts
Subaru of Gwinnett said:
We've gotten a consistent 378 whp from an SR55 and just got 388whp from an SZ49. The SZ49 should have made more and we are in discussion about why it didn't and what to do. Deadbolt just released a MZ55 that should do near 400whp on an internal wastegate and pump-gas. So far there is only one in existence (sp?) so it needs more testing.

400whp is pretty serious in these cars. Going with an AVC-R for boost control and a robust Ecutek tune would allow you to run high boost in 1st through 3rd, and then bring it down on pump gas, or run rediculous boost on race gas. This CAN be done on one map. All you would do is add race gas and crank up the boost. The car can run quite well on pump at 19 psi, and race at 24-26 psi, without changing tunes. Of course being able to lean it out and run even more timing would be possible with tuning specifically for race gas...

SS
Scott, what do you think the SZ49 is capable of on 91 octane CA gas? I am trying to decide between EWG + SZ49, the MZ55 (with 38 mm IWG), or a rotated GT30R ala Static X. How quick does the SZ49 spool?

Also, I was doing research on the AVC-R. Do you think that is a must for higher HP applications? I presume it replaces the need for a Perrin EBCS. Does it use a bleed mode or interuption mode?

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
just go with a deadbolt 20g. you wont notice any diff in spool, and it pulls like crazy up top. my combo dyno's 367/364 on 93 pump, getting ready to switch to a fmic which will bring my whp around 385/390.

·
Premium Member
5,268 Posts
you are able to maintain stock spool with the deadbolt 20g? Also did you purchase the oil and water cooled version?

·
Registered
3,816 Posts
For reliability at that power, you'd probably want to look into beefing up the internals. The US STi does not have forged internals. Check out APS's site for more info. I'm sure it can handle that power, but for how long?

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
I would think that as long as you are not driving around everyday at max boost out of a big turbo, you should be able to get many miles out of the car with a good tune of course.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Subaru of Gwinnett said:

SS
I'm actually looking forward to the results on the STi that belongs to esemes. If that has a good turn out then that may answer all my questions.

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
SlvrRallySTi said:
I'm actually looking forward to the results on the STi that belongs to esemes. If that has a good turn out then that may answer all my questions.

believe me, you arent alone on this............

thnx 4 the support, everyone.

we will have finality next week.

ese

·
'do right & fear no one"
8,564 Posts
Subaru of Gwinnett said:
Of course being able to lean it out and run even more timing would be possible with tuning specifically for race gas...
or water injection

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
JJ18Sniper said:
you are able to maintain stock spool with the deadbolt 20g? Also did you purchase the oil and water cooled version?
there is virtually no diff in spool up, hardly noticeable. The 20g deadbolt turbo has NO lag, seriously, and it's crazy up top.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
91TB78 said:
For reliability at that power, you'd probably want to look into beefing up the internals. The US STi does not have forged internals. Check out APS's site for more info. I'm sure it can handle that power, but for how long?
stock internals are deadly reliable over 500whp. Absolutely no need to rebuild a stock STi block unless you plan on 500+whp. I've been in a 475whp STi and it's sickening (Doug's car at TopSpeed).

·
Registered
780 Posts
fadedSTi said:
aem works real well on the subys and also cft can tune it
I thought that AEM didn't have an application for the STi due to the drive-by-wire system? Have they resolved this?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts