IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
AZ: JDM Sti v7 inlet cam gears MINT

I picked up my silver/silver STi about a month 1/2 back i was on my way to school when i heard my motor start to knock before i had a chance to pull over the most dreaded sound of all a blown motor....

The cause was well ill make a long story short the guy at the dealership failed to tell me that there was a break in oil that needs to be changed as soon as the break in period is over. As this car is my first high performance/high tech vehicle im used to getting the car and driving it the way im going to drive it 25000 miles down the road, I will admit also being my first high horsepower car i might have had the occassional
case of lead foot during the break in period this might of played a big role in what happened being a busy guy also sometimes i forget to do things that are important :( just posting maybe there are others out there that could learn from my stupidity.......also the new motor is covered and im getting a free one so i got lucky...dont i learned from a mistake and it isnt happening again.

STi owner

·
Registered
27 Posts
Changed right after the break in? My dealer has told me the oil should stay in until the car hits 3750. I actually tried to take it in and pay them to change it at 1000 and they turned me away. I do admit I'm still not going above 4000rpm much just to be safe...

jason

T

·
0 Posts
What's a break in oil?

Also running a new engine hard during the break in will not kill it. It may shorten it's life a bit in the end but will not blow it. Something else is up here.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Digital camera :)

04SlvrSTi said:
I picked up my silver/silver STi about a month 1/2 back i was on my way to school when i heard my motor start to knock before i had a chance to pull over the most dreaded sound of all a blown motor....

The cause was well ill make a long story short the guy at the dealership failed to tell me that there was a break in oil that needs to be changed as soon as the break in period is over. As this car is my first high performance/high tech vehicle im used to getting the car and driving it the way im going to drive it 25000 miles down the road, I will admit also being my first high horsepower car i might have had the occassional
case of lead foot during the break in period this might of played a big role in what happened being a busy guy also sometimes i forget to do things that are important :( just posting maybe there are others out there that could learn from my stupidity.......also the new motor is covered and im getting a free one so i got lucky...dont i learned from a mistake and it isnt happening again.

STi owner

Absolutely, they are full of it. Typical tactic of the company/dealers to fluff any kind of problem off on an owner. Things like this will happen. My oil will still go out at 3K miles.

For Example, Honda S2000 break in oil which is pretty much the same as far as I can tell is strictly not replaced for the first 7500 miles and its the most advanced engine there is.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
break in oil is a MYTH!
good luck with your replacement, get it soon..
Hopefully we won't have a case of e46 M3s here...
My guess would be 2 out of about 7000. Try to find Subaru STi yearly sales figures..

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
I changed my oil at 1k and the dealer said that it wasn't needed but that it would not hurt anything. Opps, double negative.

·
Registered
575 Posts
wow thats a bummer, the E46 M3 syndrome would be bad to discover on the STi as I am sure that would have an impact on the long term resale.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
04SlvrSTi said:

STi owner
Where did you buy your car (dealer)?

What was the exact failure?

This sound like BS to anyone else?

-st

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
amdmaxx said:
break in oil is a MYTH!
good luck with your replacement, get it soon..
Hopefully we won't have a case of e46 M3s here...
My guess would be 2 out of about 7000. Try to find Subaru STi yearly sales figures..
Maybe a myth for Subaru, but some manufacturers have been known to have additives in the first batch of oil.

-st

·
Registered
389 Posts
Break in oil is not a myth. S2000 owners actually had their oil clinically checked and it does contain the additives the companies describe that do certain things at a molecular structure to the metals for lubrication and such. Sub says to do your first one at $3K and that’s when you should do it. I really feel sorry for you people who do it under 3K.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
y2ks2k said:
Break in oil is not a myth. S2000 owners actually had their oil clinically checked and it does contain the additives the companies describe that do certain things at a molecular structure to the metals for lubrication and such. Sub says to do your first one at $3K and that’s when you should do it. I really feel sorry for you people who do it under 3K.
Yeah, that is exactly why I'm waiting; no one here knows for sure 1. What oil comes in the STi from the factory or 2. If there is anything added to it.

-st

·
Registered
343 Posts
Perrin TBE?

A few questions:

How many miles are on your car?
What octane have you been using?
Were you experiencing knocking/pinging prior to it failing?

To me it seems you did nothing wrong. If the dealer told you about a break in oil, then they are full of it. If you are truthful about the occassional lead foot runs, that alone is not a cause for failure.

If you are getting a replacement without much hassle, it seems that you got a bad engine from the factory and the dealer is making you the scapegoat.

·
Registered
113 Posts
The following is what Subaru told me about oil change:

We recommend that you first change the oil in your WRX STi Sedan at 3,000 miles or 3 months, whichever comes first. We STRONGLY recommend that you at least wait until the break-in period of 1,000 miles is surpassed.

The break-in period of the engine requires that a given amount of friction
exists between components. The piston rings need to rub against the cylinder
wall to break-in or finely tune the machine mating between the two metal
parts. To properly seat all mechanical components, a certain amount of
friction is required between the metal parts. Since synthetic oil has a
lower friction rating than regular oil, we recommend that Subaru owners wait until after the 1,000 mile break-in period to switch to synthetic engine
oil.

Not changing oil right after break-in can cause the motor to blow? I really don't believe it. Did you ever check engine oil level? You drove too hard? Or perhaps your engine is a defective one. Hope the dealer found out what happened. Good luck with the new motor.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts