IW STi Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like FIA voted on having the 3rd drivers rule. Im just wondering what people think about this.

Oh yeah, for those who don't know. This means that the 3rd driver of a team cannot have gotten a podium finish in the last three years.

·
Registered
105 Posts
This should prove interesting next year. It is really going to shake things up, especially for Citroen and Peugeot.

Carlos Saintz, Loeb or McRae will have to leave Citroen and Peugeot will see similar upheaval. Maybe Burns will come back to Subaru if Tommi retires….

Petter and Richard on one team would be cool.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
So what is this supposed to prevent? A team "buying" a championship? If that is what the purpose is I say go for it...

·
Registered
105 Posts
It certainly will limit the arguable advantage that Citroen and Peugeot have by running three cars each rally. Both teams certainly have benefited from having two (or more) cars in the points this year on a few occasions.

Subaru may benefit if Tommi retires since a lot of good drivers will be looking (or forced to look) for a change. Solberg just signed a deal with Subaru through 2006 so he will be stationary. Again, can you imagine Solberg and Burns on the same team? Or even Solberg and Saintz!?!?

It also means that some fast drivers like Freddie Loix who haven't seen a win may wind up moving to a 1st tier team like Peugeot to replace a third driver who no longer qualifies due to a podium finish. There are also a few young drivers like Mikko Hirvonen to consider.

All in all, it will be an interesting next few months as we wait to see how this all shakes out.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So what is this supposed to prevent? A team "buying" a championship? If that is what the purpose is I say go for it...
I think thats exactly what its supposed to do. Its the same with many of the other rules. For example, teams can only have 2 type of tires on an event.

It certainly will limit the arguable advantage that Citroen and Peugeot have by running three cars each rally. Both teams certainly have benefited from having two (or more) cars in the points this year on a few occasions.
If you look at the manufacturers championsiop standings right now you will see Citroen in first, Peugeot in second, and Subaru in third.
Citroen: 3 cars, Peugeot: 3 cars, Subaru, Ford and all the rest of the teams after: 2 cars.

Coincidence? I think not...

The changed point system also helped change things. Last year Marcus was literally dominating the sport. He either won, or crashed out. Its the same with this year (all or nothing you could say!). Now this year everythings very close and nothing is certain.

Of course there still are gaps in the points. Peugeot and Citroen are in a league of their own and wont be challenged by anybody else (probably because of the 3 cars). Subaru and ford are the same skill level as peugeot and Citroen, but only have 2 cars (so theyre in a league of their own.). Finally theres Skoda and Hyundai, who dont have the competetive edge (whether it be car or driver).

With this new rule I think that another team will need to come into the championships so all the drivers have a proper place.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I think your "other team" might be Mitsubishi. I believe they are due to return to the WRC next year correct?

They will be shopping for drivers this year as well no doubt....

Also, that Nissan-Maxima-sized Skoda will be replaced by a nice small (almost a Peugeot 206 copy) Fabia in the next rally. Who knows what that might do.

By the way, the next Rally is Deutschland...

Mmmm tarmac rally..... Homer like tarmac rallies.... Slick tires, big wheels and lots of great cornering shots….

All this rally talk makes me want to drive my STi now.

-FD

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Installation of an amplifier in trunk.

Yeah. I was going to write mitsubishi but then remembered that everyone can read my mind! :p

They are due to come back the summer of 2004. I wish it would be earlier as long as they get their act in gear!

It will be interesting to see the Fabia in action. Ive heard that its pretty good except for some high speed stability issues. Theyve probably fixed that by now. I think that somethigns going to happen (just like with the subie :( )

hmm.... with the big skoda gone is the Impreza going to be the largest car in the championships?

M

·
0 Posts
haha

Wonder how long Mitsubishi will last this time before getting caught Cheating, :)

mist

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hopefully their revamped car will be better than the old version.

If they did get caught then they would probably quit just like Toyota did!

It would be nice if they would come back, because some drivers will need spots.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think that in Toyota's case they bypassed something with the turbo. There is only supposed to be so much pressure but they bypassed the regularor and got kicked out for a year. They never cam back saying that they had already dominated the sport and were moving on.

One of the peugeot cars last year was found to have a lighter flywheel than the rules said and got disqualified for it.

What annoys me about press coverage about these things is that they always say something to the effect of "Subaru raised a complaint with this". They make it seem like Subarus the only one that every complains :evil:

·
Registered
58 Posts
Can I just put some points here (I do apoligise, I am new here):

Toyota did indeed come back into rallying. With the lovely Corolla WRC in 1998 - and came oh so close to allowing Carlos Sainz to win the world championship (He eventually finished second handing the win to Makinen after coming to a halt 400 metres from the finish of Rally GB in 98 with a blown engine). They were thrown out in 1995 (after Rallye Catalunya if you are interested) for "engine irregularities".

To limit the horsepower in rally cars the FIA has regulated the use of a turbo restrictor (currently 34mm in the WRC). This is basically a tube and fits in the turbocharger's air intake to limit the air flow and consequently the engine's output. Toyota engineers had mounted the restrictor in a way that it would slightly move from its original position, allowing more air into the turbocharger, when the car was running, therefore more power.

They then left at the end of 1999 when Toyota became involved in F1 and they wanted to fully concentrate their resources there.

Mitsubishi, as far as I know, have never been excluded for "cheating". When they founf that the Lancer was starting to get uncompetitive, they set about developing a Lancer WRC (up until then, because of the success that Tommi Makinen was bringing them, they stuck with their Group A car which was before the current WRC format was introduced in '97.

After a disasterous 2002 season, and rather than try and develop the car during 2003 as well as run in the championship, they took the decision to not compete in 2003 but to concentrate on the new car and only partake in selected outings (I think they have done 2 events so far this year, Portugal (only an ERC event) and I think New Zealand where Alistair McRae came 6th overall).

They will be back in Monte Carlo in January and Gilles Panizzi has been signed as their number 1 driver - and Alistair won't be in the team.

Sebastien Loeb already signed up for Citroen next year, and Simon Jean-Joseph has been given a (at least) limited outing in 3rd car, so either Colin McRae or Carlos Sainz will have to move.

With this new 3rd driver rule, it's going to be interesting, with maybe a big name going to somewhere like Hyundai, or a less well known name (Loix?) going to a spare seat in a bigger team.

My thoughts - it gives more people more chances of a drive they might otherwise have got. I think Peugeot will sign Colin McRae as 2nd driver and Loix as 3rd, and Harri Rovenpera will go to Mitsubishi as 2nd.

But some/all of that depends on the new calendar which is being hotly debated by the teams/FIA at the moment.

Phew.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
They will be back in Monte Carlo in January and Gilles Panizzi has been signed as their number 1 driver - and Alistair won't be in the team.
Thats good news! maybe Mitsu will be back in the game!

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
It will be interesting to see how Panizzi does when he's given a full driver's time in the car. He is amazing on tarmac, but really...how good can a guy be on gravel when is employer never uses him for those events. It will either confirm that Panizzi is a one-sided driver, or it will show that Peugeot never really utilized all of his potential.

I am SOOO excited for Subaru next season...how awesome will it be to have Mr. "Consistency" right along side Mr. "I'm really good but sometimes I still do stupid stuff like hit trees". ;) I love Petter to death and he is my favorite driver because of his skill and passion for the sport, but sometimes I just get that feeling..."Come on Petter...don't do anything stupid".

1 - 17 of 17 Posts