IW STi Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About 2 hours ago I was on my way back to work and I started to smell a coolant odor. A few miles later, I noticed that my temp gauge rising above the half mark (which I've never seen it do before.) I get to the stop light and white smoke was billowing from my car. I limp it the next mile to my work's parking lot and shut it off. After giving it a good 40 minutes to cool down, I pop the hood and start the car back up. Looks like my radiator is spewing coolant from the lower right hand portion. I'm so pissed right now!

My question is....will this be covered by the powertrain warranty since I am over the 36k mile bumper to bumper? What really tops this off is about a month and a half ago, I brought the car in for service and told them about a coolant odor that I get once in a while. Of course they said that everything was functioning properly. "No loose connections" they said.

Do I have a legitimate arguement here? Should I push the issue with the dealership that the problem I reported and they overlooked possibly turned into a very big problem??

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
powertrain is 60k or 6 yrs man your good..tell them what happen and dont make a big issue of it.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So the radiator will definitely be covered by the powertrain?

What if its just a blown hose or something? Hard to diagnose with everything in the way.

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
they will do a complete check. yes the radiator will be covered under warrenty. just take a look tomorrow around move the air duck and see if you can spot it. then dont say anythign if you spot it just let them do it and you find that they did not replace that part or whereever you seen it leak then you can make a issue but other then that just take a look at it yourself first.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just found this on Subaru's website....WTF!
I don't see radiator listed there! Fack! Looks like I'm going to have to lean on the fact that I reported it while under warranty and they didnt do sh!t about it.

Powertrain Limited Warranty
POWERTRAIN COVERAGE for all models is 5 years or 60,000 miles, whichever comes first. Subject to the exclusions listed in this warranty, it covers the major powertrain components listed below.

Powertrain Coverage Components
Engine
Engine block and all internal parts
Cylinder heads and valve trains
Oil pump, oil pan
Timing belts or gears and cover
Water pump
Flywheel
Intake and exhaust manifolds
Oil seals and gaskets

Transaxle and Differential
Transaxle case and internal parts
Torque converter
Electronic transmission control unit
Seals and gaskets
Axle shafts & constant velocity joints [except boots]*
Propeller shaft
Wheel bearings

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
I had the same issue, but mine was damaged by road debris so it was not covered. You will face the same issue. If they see impact damage they will not cover it. $100 for a stock rad is a great deal also. Is there any way you can tell if it has been damaged? I couldn't really tell on mine until they had it off, I actually had to replace the condenser too : (

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
Pressure test it first, you can buy the tester from any good auto parts store. My money would be on a hose failure first, then road debris......in either case would not be covered.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
RacerXS said:
Pressure test it first, you can buy the tester from any good auto parts store. My money would be on a hose failure first, then road debris......in either case would not be covered.
If you are just out of warranty and it is a part failure, they will cover it. You just need to ask the dealer to plead your case to SoA. They were ready to replace my radiator at 38k miles, but they found debris damage after taking it out.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Did you have a high pressure radiator cap? I've heard stories of the extra pressure blowing out the seals on the end tanks of the radiator. I am wondering because I just put the STi high pressure cap on a few weeks ago.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Actually....here's the culprit guys....

Funny thing is....the dealer is still to blame. That hose was hitting the fan! You can clearly see how worn it was from hitting the fan blade. The dealer replaced my timing belt tensioner about a month and half ago. The tech obviously did not seat the hose all the way on and it contacted the fan.

How hard should I push the issue? I got the cooling problem all fixed but I am now worried that I may have head gasket or turbo problems down the road now from running the car hot. Any suggestions for me?

·
Registered
802 Posts
STi_BRi said:

Funny thing is....the dealer is still to blame. That hose was hitting the fan! You can clearly see how worn it was from hitting the fan blade. The dealer replaced my timing belt tensioner about a month and half ago. The tech obviously did not seat the hose all the way on and it contacted the fan.

How hard should I push the issue? I got the cooling problem all fixed but I am now worried that I may have head gasket or turbo problems down the road now from running the car hot. Any suggestions for me?
WTF? Same thing happened to me and they blamed it on my aftermarket radiator. It started leaking after they put my clutch in for me too so I wondered how it happened. I had to pay to fix it.

As for possible future issues, did you overheat it or just lose coolant? What was the temp when you shut it off?

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
STi_BRi said:
Yes they will cover it if they did the work improperly...(they should at leaset).

How hot did you run the car? Where was your stock gauge reading at peak?

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
hoffit said:
WTF? Same thing happened to me and they blamed it on my aftermarket radiator. It started leaking after they put my clutch in for me too so I wondered how it happened. I had to pay to fix it.

As for possible future issues, did you overheat it or just lose coolant? What was the temp when you shut it off?
I had to let the car cool 4 or 5 times for me to get it home. It went almost to the red twice on me and when I finally pulled it in the garage it was bubbling and gurgling pretty good. I didn't beat on it (of course) or run it for a period of time in the red. I'm just worried that I may have caused damage because I drained less then a gallon of coolant out after I replaced the hose.

I still think I am going to call the dealer and yell.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
STi_BRi said:

How hot did it get and for how long?

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
STi_BRi said:
I had to let the car cool 4 or 5 times for me to get it home. It went almost to the red twice on me and when I finally pulled it in the garage it was bubbling and gurgling pretty good. I didn't beat on it (of course) or run it for a period of time in the red. I'm just worried that I may have caused damage because I drained less then a gallon of coolant out after I replaced the hose.

I still think I am going to call the dealer and yell.
The problem is that if you admit to running the car hot they still might point the finger at you. They could easily say, you saw it overheating, you should have turned off the car and called a tow truck. You need to be careful about this.

Also, the shop damaged it so THEY are liable, not SoA. You may want to speak to a lawyer if you have one in the family. My guess would be that you want the shop to document that they screwed up minus the fact that you drove the car after you noticed that it could be overheating. You might be able to come to a verbal agreement with the service manager or owner of the dealership. Lawyer is the way to go if you have any doubt though.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts