IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just pondering between a WRX and STI ...
227 hp vs 261hp ... that's a 34HP difference and an $8k difference.

I'm not the expert ... cough, WORM ... but I have been budgeting for a new car for a while now. I was sold on the WRX, but since there are some experts on this board ... cough, WORM ... I thought I'd ask you guys on your take on this issue:

2004 WRX and 2004 WRXSTI ... we know they are coming BUT what are the model differences between the MY03 and MY04 ? And I read every single post on this site, so please, no links. Just looking for something solid ... cough, WORM ... cause I'd love an STI, but I need to start saving MORE money if that's the case. Please help and advice ... cough, WORM ... on the MY04 WRX option changes and you know what I read what you wrote on the STI, so really this a WRX question on an STI site with experts ... cough, WORM ... and NASIOC.com has yeilded me little as to the my04 WRX.

THANKS

Chris

p.s. Detroit, here I come!

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
If the only difference you see between the WRX and STi is the 34 HP, you're really missing the whole heritage of the STi. Since you've read the whole site, you know of the numerous other improvements made to the car that have been added up to being worth around $20k in aftermarket cost.

Go back and read again if you really have to ask this question.

·
Registered
3,816 Posts
honestly, its this:
racing brakes
inverted strut suspension system
aluminum a-arms
sport seats/interior
power..close to 50hp more (projected)
6-spd transmission..which is MUCH stronger than the WRX 5 spd
beefed up internals of the engine
exhaust system
more powerful turbo
higher flow-rate injectors
larger oil cooler
front, rear, and possibly center differential
17" sport wheels with Z-rated tires
guage cluster with tach in the middle, and built-in rev limiter
standard spoiler
body cladding and emblems

But its more than the sum of its parts... The STi is in EVERY way possible better than the WRX. This is an exotic car..don't think of it as an Impreza, think of it as an ugly Ferrari. It is a street-legal race car for all intensive purposes. With its parts added the potential for the STi is far greater than the WRX will ever be. It is a much easier to mod (if you really want to/need to).

oh yeah..plus it looks cool and has exclusivity.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
With each of those mods, again kinda going along with the theme "greater than the sum of the parts", all of the changes to the STi give a much great platform upon which to improve further. The only areas I'd be looking to improve upon would be the engine power. Given the completely new turbo system, the stronger new cast internals and the beefy tranny, you have a much better foundation upon which to add dependable power.

Other than the engine though, the car is so well tuned, I'm very hesitant to change anything, except maybe something to cure the rumored soft brake pedal. SS brake lines anyone?

·
Registered
75 Posts
WS6toWRX - As far as the 2004 WRX is concerned, there is not much info regarding what changes may be coming. If I were a guessing man I would say; new front styling (pretty much a given), sunroof option, leather seating option and different colors. Probably not much more.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Why do people like leather? I've had two cars with leather and it's hot in the summer and hella cold in the winter. Is it the whole, I have leather and it looks nice thing? It does clean easy but that's about the only thing that is nice about it. Did I mention it also looks bad after about 5 years?

I don't think the WRX will get leather. From the Canada dealers memo it looks like the WRX will get even nicer seats. Think STi.

·
Drive True
6,833 Posts
How much torsional rigidity is lost with a sunroof? The cutout would only be in the sheet metal portion of the roof, right? I'll take mine sans sunroof and leather seats anyway (but that's a moot point since it's not offered on the STi)

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
I don't know how much rigidity is lost- but all I know is that is where all the damn creaks and knocks in my RS come from.. :evil: :evil:

Plus, a rally-style roof vent (available in STi Spec C) would be more appropriate for a STi. :D

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey hey, just aksing bros ... its hard crossing over, don't make it a pain or an insult! Tired of GM, want something that FITS better ... I'm honestly working overtime and pulling a second job to get on my feet and $$$ is freakin killing me and I need an all round car that puts that figgin smile BACK on my face ... the smile I lost when I sold my baby ... Yes, no doubt, the STI is a much better car BUT if I say, decided to save some cash and go with a WRX, would the difference be so great I'd kick my own ass?

THX WORM, you are a straight shooter!

I'm hearing STI this and STI that ... great, I'm glad there's something to kick GM in the butt and say HEY WAKE UP DUMBA$$!! It was hard deciding guys and I KNOW the WRX / WRX STI is what I'm looking for. I'm stuck on the two. Its my choice but your help gives me stuff to consider... that's what FORUMS are for right? SHeesh sorry to disrespect you so.

Chris

·
Registered
3,816 Posts
that's what FORUMS are for right? SHeesh sorry to disrespect you so.
No disrespect from us. :)

Honestly, if you wanted to get a WRX and save some cash you wouldn't be disappointed. There is a ton you can do to that car. The only thing I have to say is this. Coming from a high power RWD car you can do burnouts, etc all day long. AWD is MUCH different. No burnouts..or you'll lose your tranny quick.

In my book the STi is the way to go, but if I didn't have the money I would opt for the WRX..no question about it.

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
I like leather seats. I personally don't care if a car has them or not. Most cars I get I don't really have a choice. What I would like and I think the real STi seats are like this, is a suede material. I sat in an RX7 that had seats with this material and you talk about sticking in the seat. They would be great on the track.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Anonymous said:
Yes, no doubt, the STI is a much better car BUT if I say, decided to save some cash and go with a WRX, would the difference be so great I'd kick my own ass?
Unless you're really an hardcore enthusiast, I doubt you would kick your own ass with 'just' a WRX. The WRX is already a powerful car with decent looks. If your looking for a nice daily driver with enough kick to satisfy your needs, the WRX is definitely good enough. If you're into something more (ie. Autox, track racing, etc) or if you just have some $$$ lying around or even if you're just a subaru enthusiast, then go for the STI.

You should also consider if you would actually put the 'extras' on the STI to use. I'm looking to get a WRX. Although I would love the STI, it would go to waste on me. :)

Just my 2 cents.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts