IW STi Forum banner
21 - 40 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
@320icar Yes the bushing you circled is in the pinion bracket mount. They are replaceable separately. You can either go aftermarket or oem. The same exact one, same side as yours was leaking on my car too a couple of years ago. I replaced both bushings with Super Pro bushings. I ended up using tire lube and a vice to press them in.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I looooove winter driving. Even once the STi is on the road I’ll still keep taking the RS ice racing etc.

yeah the por15 is brush on. Kind of annoying to do in the driveway but it is what it is. Brushes on nice, is self leveling and is very tacky so it sticks to just about everything

·
Registered
SWP 2012 GR Hatch
893 Posts
This is why I'm happy to continue the ritual of my current Sti being Krown sprayed every fall.
Ya sure, it's like 100$ each season, but my car doesn't even have mild surface rust on the heads of bolts on the undercarriage, and sees ice and snow and the ski hill constantly :LOL:

Big props though that you are taking care of this before it becomes a more serious issue!
What's the word on the leaking motor?
Fingers crossed it is a less serious cause, but unfortunately, I don't think valve cover gaskets are as straight forward on a boxter as it is on a regular inline motor.
It can still be done with the motor in the car, it just isn't fun!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I have not investigated into the motor yet. Honestly with it being 275k km on the stock everything, I’m hesitant to even try fixing stuff on the motor. Maybe swap the power steering pump for a reman unit, but otherwise I’m tempted to just leave it until the inevitable happens

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Question: online source for plastic clips? Even with the proper tools, nearly every side skirts plastic push-pin retainer broke. I moved on to the fender liners and it’s the same damn story. Would like to order some so I can at least put pieces back when I’m done with them.

speaking of fender liners, I removed the LF and LR to continue rust painting anything exposed. Pictures make it look worse than it is, and everything’s still surface...

.... I mean.... everything was surface... I’m kind of disappointed, up to this point it had been going so well. A plan will have to be thought of..

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
No matter what I will try to save this car. But now I won’t feel so bad if I end up rallycrossing it.

in actually built up my focus RS for some rallycross. Had a blast but I was going in blind as there is zero support for the RS like that. Full 3 way gravel suspension, brake swap, 16” ko2’s, chassis mount underbody protection etc. It was so much fun, I do really miss it.

maybe the STi needs similar mods... what my RS is now versus what it was last summer

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
So, both sides have similar rust holes. Only spot on the car with actual rust, but in a non structural place. I’m undecided what to do but either way it’s not something that is going to be dealt with immediately, so after spraying rust converter inside/out I patched it with some spare carbon fibre I had laying around. Good enough for now ¯\(ツ)

we actually had some overcast days, first time in weeks, so I started doing the paint correction. I chose not to wet sand this car, mostly because so many spots have no clear left from the years of being sandblasted during winter driving. This paint is a write off, so right now I’m just trying To make it look a bit more presentable. Maybe one day I’ll wrap it; this car is a good diy test piece since it’s already rough.

anyways, skipped wet sanding and just used paint correction compound. Each panel got two passes and there was an improvement. Would look fantastic on a normal car but there are just so many deep scrapes that compound can’t get out.

I’ll try to post the photos in pairs, before/afters

Attachments

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Not sure why I didn’t clay bar it before using the aggressive paint compound. The amount of shît that came off the paint even after the cut polish and about a dozen washes is insane. Clay bars for the win, and ready for the polish. Also did a once over on the rear lights too.

I also forgot that I had red rallyarmour mudflaps from my focus so I threw those on. Ignore the front bumper, it has wax stuck in every tiny rock chip lol

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
How'd you get that carbon weave patch to adhere ?
Brushed on polyester resin, waiting about 5 minutes to slightly set then put on 3 layers alternating 2x2 twill weave. Absolutely rock solid and won’t come off anytime soon.

so the front bumper is fubar. Must have hit a trailer hitch at some point, missing lower lip, fog light cover etc not including all the other wear and tear. I just realized all weather motorsports makes a tubular bumper replacement. That might have to be added to my future list.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Missed out on some te37’s for my RS and was mad. So I went and ordered that tubular front bumper cuz I’m a dumbass. No other updates because life is busy.

I need to make a shopping list. Seems like my oil leak is the VVT solenoid, so I have to figure out my build date and get the right one. While I’m in there, I guess I should do the valve cover gaskets too. Spark plugs, check compression. I still need to do all the fluids.

autocross season is almost done so that should free up some time

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Hey! I’m still here 👋 My 18 month old has become quite rambunctious, had made my spare time for tinkering dwindle down.

So I’ve gotten daily permits a few times. Car feels great, but slow. Granted I’m also not pushing it since the car for me overall is still somewhat of an unknown. Was nice cleaning it up just to get it dirty again. My son liked it too!

Car Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive tail & brake light

Tire Car Land vehicle Wheel Jeans

Wheel Land vehicle Sky Car Tire

Cloud Wheel Tire Sky Vehicle

so I took advantage of some sales for the parts I knew I wanted. Ordered a set of motegi mr139 in 17”, ordered all new poly motor/trans mounts, new short shifter and bushings, and received my all weather Motorsports tubular front bumper and some new headers

Glove Leg Wood Grey Flooring

Wood Packing materials Automotive design Sleeve Flooring

and I’m slowly building a big rock auto shopping cart for maintenance items. Only annoying thing is they lump all the Impreza together, so finding the STi specific part numbers is difficult.

also not sure yet what I’m going to do about suspension, whether to just go a lift spacer kit or go king springs. Don’t want to do king springs if I can’t get replacement struts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Looking good so far! Just to give you another option in regards to king springs I'm running a 2020 sti take off suspension with white line sways, if you want something that gives you a slight lower, about 30 percent more stiffness, and great street manners, the take off VA (2015+) suspension on the GR can be very cost effective if you find someone that has upgraded to coilovers. And the struts are matched to the springs oem so that's a bonus!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
I actually have a set of kw v3’s but I already have a fast street/stack car. I’ll be looking to raise it up, but it seems the KYB option is a bit hit or miss. No OEM replacement I can find. Bilsteins are NLA, but I do see Cusco/Feal make an upgrade strut, but I don’t know about shock length vs oem

same reason why I can’t go for 2015+ struts. They fit but are 25mm shorter

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
so I took advantage of some sales for the parts I knew I wanted. Ordered a set of motegi mr139 in 17”, ordered all new poly motor/trans mounts, new short shifter and bushings, and received my all weather Motorsports tubular front bumper and some new headers
nevermind. That was a waste of my time! Ordered mr139 in white and checked the box that said “I already verified my own fitment”. 2 days later they email me asking for the vehicle info. 2 days later say the order is processed and all good. 2 days later they email saying the website is wrong and there’s no stock, it’s backordered, I say ok. 2 days later they email me saying it’s discontinued, offering me shit wheels. I change my order to gold. 2 days later they say the website is wrong stock and they’re discontinued. I change my order to black. 2 days later they email me saying website is showing wrong stock, discontinued. I cancel my order and now my money is stuck in limbo with PayPal. 😡😡😡

got my motor/trans mounts though. eBay special but the quality seems great.

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Automotive tire Wood

got the STi lifted back up, not gonna be on the ground for a while but can finally start doing work. It’s forecast to snow pretty good though this weekend so we’ll see if I get to do anything. A bone stock STi is shockingly quiet though… it’s the daily so I have to keep it this way. Maybe an electric cutout?

http://instagr.am/p/CXuhh95pTAi/

·
Registered
SWP 2012 GR Hatch
893 Posts
A bone stock STi is shockingly quiet though… it’s the daily so I have to keep it this way. Maybe an electric cutout?

http://instagr.am/p/CXuhh95pTAi/
I daily my sti too, and like you have a second car that's the summer/track car.
My goal has been to keep the sti tolerable for road trips out of province despite doing so many mods to it this season.
I have headers, downpipe, inlet, silicone couplers, but still a stock airbox and exhaust.
The inlet adds a minimal amount of grunt while the car is under load, and the headers change the already subtle exhaust tone to sounds smoother, but I've avoided making it louder on purpose.
The "quiet" exhaust options for the sti hatch are the Maddad "Whisper" and the Milltek exhaust.
Unfortunately, both options are now discontinued, so the next quietest exhaust options would be something like the Cobb, which is far from quiet.
Word is that for a lot of these exhausts, they aren't really loud, but because it's a hatch, the tone reverberates in the cabin and it's not great.
While I imagine the Cobb and such are tolerable to some, I've done the loud droning daily before and I'm not going back there.
I'm gunna save it for the fun car that I don't take on long cruises where I drive at a consistent speed for long durations.
So my advice to you is I'd be cautious of trying to address the tone, but keep your eyes peeled for the two exhausts I mentioned.
If one of them comes up and you don't pounce on it right away, send the link my way!

21 - 40 of 63 Posts