IW STi Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
520hpSTi said:
nice. that a/f gauge looks cool to
Thanks.. are you driving your rebuilt ride yet? One of these days, I want to check it out

jb
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,772 Posts
TurboQueef said:
Thanks.. are you driving your rebuilt ride yet? One of these days, I want to check it out

jb
i sure am. was supposed to get tuned on saturday, but ran into some problems. gonna reschedule.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
blindfold said:
pretty cool, what brand center gauge pod and wide band is that?
Look above post for link to the webpage, the wide band is Innovate Motorsports XD-1.

The gauge pod is from: http://wrxtra.com/
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
blindfold said:
XD-1 = LC-1 plus XD-16 gage? I am looking for a wideband setup and it seems innovate has caught my attention, so if you can share any information, please feel free. Thank you.
I am very happy with my Innovate wide band. I purchased the LM-1 way back when reasonably priced wide band products were just starting to hit the market. I used it first in my Supercharged TOYOTA 4Runner. When I got the STi... I bought the XD-1 gauge (I think the current model is the XD-16) which works with the LM-1.

I use the wide band as a permanent install in both my 4Runner and the STI. I have accumulated over 60K miles of permanent wide band operation. The sensor is mounted like 3" from the ass end of the turbo and I have NEVER had any "faults" or errors due to heat build up.... I think their product is top notch.

Let me know if you have any other questions

jb
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,930 Posts
Your running a little rich their buddy down low ;) Less fuel + a bit less timing and Ill bet your 1/4 mile times on 93 will be so much sweeter. Your car sounds mean, I couldnt take the tickets anymore so I opted to go with the Prodrive axleback. Its a 12.2 sleeper looking for 11's soon, haha. Keep me up to date with the maps. Im getting on the dyno this weekend testing out the AVCS not to mention the c16 and meth :eek:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
crystal_Imprezav said:
Your running a little rich their buddy down low ;) Less fuel + a bit less timing and Ill bet your 1/4 mile times on 93 will be so much sweeter. Your car sounds mean, I couldnt take the tickets anymore so I opted to go with the Prodrive axleback. Its a 12.2 sleeper looking for 11's soon, haha. Keep me up to date with the maps. Im getting on the dyno this weekend testing out the AVCS not to mention the c16 and meth :eek:
Yea, I just added the fuel and lots of boost down low... I want to see what numbers I can turn... If it slows down, I will lean it out and pull timing... you know there are two schools of thought there...

I will keep you all posted...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
205 Posts
dang... a 12.47 on race gas? I wonder if I can pull out those numbers with race gas. ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Pastapuck said:
What video camera are you using? Nice quality
It is a Panasonic 3CCD (model PV-GS300)

I just got it yesterday and made those videos. I plan to take it to the track next trip to get full 1/4 mile pass on tape
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
RSXKiller said:
dang... a 12.47 on race gas? I wonder if I can pull out those numbers with race gas. ;)
I bet you can with a 100 octane tune...
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,137 Posts
how did u do that launch??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
reeksti said:
how did u do that launch??
ha ha... I wish they were all like that. At the track, I have to pump the throttle a lot more than that "street" launch but generally the technique is the same:

  • Pump the throttle to get the turbo spinning
  • Aggressively let off the clutch (have you ever stepped in a pile of warm dog shi*? Remember how you lifted your foot up as soon as you felt the un-natural warmth?... well, you want to let off the clutch the same way, just time the clutch release with one of your throttle pumps and instead of releasing the pump...mash it :p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
771 Posts
are ya slipping the clutch at all or is it just letting off it completely? i just recently purchased my sti and wanna learn to launch, but dont want to suffer the consiquences of breakign an axle like other people. i know its different for a 4wd compared to a front wheel drive car.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
haroman311 said:
are ya slipping the clutch at all or is it just letting off it completely? i just recently purchased my sti and wanna learn to launch, but dont want to suffer the consiquences of breakign an axle like other people. i know its different for a 4wd compared to a front wheel drive car.
I would say there is a very very little slip... mostly you let off quick. Lets just say this.. When I first got the STi, I would slip it a bit, enough to smell clutch after the pass. I did not like the smell (and associated clutch wear) so I learned to lift more quickly.

I am afraid that if you learn to launch it hard you eventually will break something (an axle or ...). I have been drag racing for quite some time, I would say I can launch pretty good. My best 60' times are in the 1.68 range. In my opinion, if you strive to launch in this range, you will eventually break something because there are so many variables involved. For example, the condition of the track, dirt on your tires etc. These variables can invoke fun things such as severe wheel hop which is very hard on the pieces and parts.

The challenge is to get just a little wheel spin and no wheel hop (which the STi's seem to do a lot of).

Here is a link to a wheel hop launch video: http://n8rws.com/Wheel%20hop.wmv

Here is a fairly good 1.712 60' launch http://n8rws.com/12%2058%20100%20octane.wmv
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Top