IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone taken a look at the boost signal lines?? Do we need to replace the restrictive fitting like the WRX's had?? Just wondering if there is any earlier boost to be had for $.29

·
Registered
99 Posts
please inform me of what you're talking about Xman. I would like earlier boost on my wrx wagon for $0.29!!! This is something I haven't heard of before, but then again i have been incredibly busy with school, and kids, etc...

·
Registered
112 Posts
i got the 3/16 coupling
havent' done the mod yet tho
our stock sti coupling is white in color unlike the black ones wrxes have, so probably be different

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
Re: Java Black Pearl W/ Gold Rim STI

well I took the plunge and did it. The connector is still as small as the black wrx's connector... sept its a clear brown. I swapped it out and man.. boost comes on faster and I dont notice any problems. Man with all these mods the boost is flying... or at least the gauge says so. I cant wait to install my perrin inlet tube and perrin dp (which Im going to try for everyone to see if its better then the big bellmouth DPs). hehe I love this car :D

Robert~

to make myself clearer up there.. the STI's connector is still as small as the wrx's is... its just clearish brown instead of black. I swapped it out with a 3/16" x 3/16" connector and vuala... boost magic :)

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
wow I love it clone! Boost comes on sooner and faster and Im finally seeing my full 14.5 psi now. Used to stop 1-2ticks before .01mPa and now it hits it dead on and stays there. Kinda reminds me of doing a full ignition upgrade. The needle just flies up and sticks in its spot and everything is faster/better/smoother.

Robert~

heh im goin to put the inlet hose on now so pray for me lol...

so ya.. if you've got a $1 to spend and 5 minutes , this is definitely worthwhile.

·
Registered
779 Posts
yet another stereo install question (Best Buy, etc.)

I tried that mod before I did my mods. I did not notice anything different with boost pressure. It seemed to come on slightly earlier, but nothing significant. I noticed a bigger difference when I installed my TurboXS HP MBC. The boost came on a lot stronger and a tad bit sooner. Then again, I did the MBC right after I installed my full catless exhaust. Just keep in mind, once you do your DP and exhaust, you will most likely need a MBC to cap the boost creep.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I did the 3/16th mod a little while back. Didn’t feel any big difference at all. It seems like the turbo started spooling a little sooner and maybe quicker response. Again, no big difference. I don’t see any reasons not to try this mod if you want. Its cheap and if your bored, go for it. A lot of rex guys have been doing it for a long time now. The only concern that I have is that the OEM “T” fitting is made out of nylon and the one I replaced it with is made out of ABS. Nylon is a very strong material with a higher melting point. While ABS has a lower melting point and tends to soften as heats get higher. The point of my concern is that the “T” fitting is inches away from the turbo. I have concerns about the ABS fitting holding up over time. I looked for a 3/16th fitting made from nylon but all I was able to get at the auto store was the cheap crap. This is just my thoughts on the mod. < trying not to be too much of an engineering geek >
:D

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
for the WRX, it was recommended NOT to change the T fitting. Not sure the exact reasons, but the larger T fitting actually hurt boost performance.

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
ya only change the inline one... I forgot what the T one actually affects...

Robert~

·
retired mod
4,012 Posts
change the "T" and it will have the wastegate dumping boost all the time, most boost your likely to make would be around 9lbs.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
I thought that was just if you replaced the T with the straight coupler that would cause that. The size of the T really should affect flow, should it?

All this mod really does is promote better flow through the system...it's not disconnecting anything.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I am still getting the same amount of boost that I was before the mod. I havent seen any negative effects of changing both fitting. There is a restrictor inside the hose to the right of the "t" fitting. The one with the dot painted on it. I did not touch that. So far everything is fine. If it does start having a negative effect, then I will change it back. Hey.... it's my first turbo car, so it's a learning process.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Re: Not bad just tacky

i really want to do this mod. can anyone show pictures of this mod done to an sti? that would be appreciated. i was hoping to do this mod before i go to work. thanks!!!

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
its very easy. Go to your turbo. The inlet side. You will see a hose going from the wastegate actuator (gold piece) to the compressor side (silver inlet sticking out of turbo) and both of those pieces going to a T. Follow that T up to the first connection and that should be the restrictive piece. Pull it out adn replace it with a 3/16" piece. If you want best results , get a MBC or EBC. you will spool about 700rpms faster lol, its awsome.

Robert~

1 - 20 of 22 Posts