IW STi Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well....I just took delivery of my JBP/Silver STi yesterday! Got the call at 9:30 or so and left seconds later. This was the 2nd allocation thru the RI port and my dealer (Secor in New London) also rec'd a WRB that already had a "SOLD" label slapped on it. I got it for MSRP. Now to the good part!
As we rolled into the dealership my car was prominently parked in the front of the dealership. Had 4.7 miles on it and was waiting for me to go along for the PDI and fill-up. I almost fell over when I saw it...seven months of waiting will do strange things to an enthusiastic new car buyer. In person the black/silver is just amazing. The gold flake really comes out in the sunshine, and I think the gold rims would really set that off. I quickly scoped the underside of the front + back, to make sure there was no carrier damage....all was well. IMHO the wing is much less obtrusive in the black than any other color (I've seen silver and WRB in person too).
The interior of the car is somewhat spartan (relatively speaking, of course). I'm coming from a German auto but am still very happy with the overall fit + finish - I just love the car. The gauges are as cool as they sound and look on the few clips I've seen - everyone gets a charge out of the sweep on start-up. (me included!)
On to the PDI. This was done with me in the car and the svc. manager driving. He was very respectful, kept the car to under 4k, and had a good deal of knowledge and insight from his ride -n- drive time. Did about a 10min. spin and headed back to the dealership. So we step out....and there's smoke pouring from the hood! Just the burn-off from the coating, but there seemed to be a moment or two of anxiety around me. All was o.k. and the svc. man. explained that would be less and less of an issue as time wore on.
So the salesman and I go to hop in for the fill-up and he's surprised when I insist he drive. He managed all of my oddball requests - I felt it only fair to have him check it our for a few mins. He seemed to thoroughly enjoy himself. We fill it up and I leave the shop shortly after.
My drive home was either 75miles of straight hwy or 100 miles of twisty back roads with the odd stoplight. No brainer. My fiancee was following in an '02 Passat 4Motion. I was being VERY kind to the STi, especially seeing how it had less than 100 miles on it. Nonetheless, it's far too easy to toss this thing into corners, it just GOES. She tried (in vain) to keep up, I saw the VW rocking like a ship on tsunami-type seas and mellowed out w/the STi. Ran it up to 4k a few times (probably a few MORE than I should have) and the power delivery is just addictive. I can't compare to much (330i, old VW Scirocco) but the comparisons wouldn't be fair anyway.
The clutch has a very nice feel. Initially I thought it was a tad notchy - wondering if this will go away w/break in or just the feel of it - either way I'm digging it. The shifts are precise - there's no guessing if you managed to get that gear or not. I did almost hit 3rd when downshifting from 6th, but feel like I will acclimatize to the transmission soon enough. It has a very, very nice solid feel to it overall.
4K comes up QUICKLY. Doing my best to not "run through the gears" or take it over 4k I did manage to hit 4200 briefly. I think Subaru wants the break-in like this just to mess w/us....you hear the turbo starting to spool, feel the initial "punch" from it, and have to shift immediately. I will echo some previous comments I've seen, in that the power delivery is SO linear you wouldn't know it was a turboed car except for the whine....but that's a sweet sound indeed. It's going to be a whole 'nother animal once I can take it over 4k, so will have to report back then.
The steering. Some have commented that this is too "insulated" from the road. (bear in mind the VW I've sadly grown accustomed to). Yes, the car does feel connected, but not to EVERY little squiggle in the pavement. I felt like I was getting adequate feedback thru the wheel and was very happy w/the solid, secure feel it gives. I have no gripes on this issue (or any others, TBH). And for those who care - while the steering is very responsive, you can still manage it with a knee while keeping it straight - no problem.
Haven't put the brakes thru their paces yet but really like the pedal feel - very secure and easily instills confidence - the brakes never came to mind (which is a good thing IMO)
I dig the seats - I'm 6'2" and 200lbs, 33" waist - felt completely comfortable after a 2hr drive. I can see where more side bolstering would be beneficial but I'm not complaining - and the Escaine is nice - most folks think it's suede (does ANYBODY put suede in a car interior??)
I didn't garner a whole lot of attention on the way home, which I found somewhat surprising, given that I haven't seen another one on the roads here yet. Got an 8y.o. on a bike who yelled "cool car man!" and got a friendly honk in return. ** COPS NOTICE THIS CAR ** (surprised, huh?) I felt like I was being "profiled" a number of times on the way home - got a lot of weird sideways glances from our friends in blue and followed for a few minutes at one point. No problems though - we'll keep our fingers crossed. I think once the tint goes on it may become more of an issue.
I put it to bed last night with 130'something miles on it. Hurt badly to garage her and I woke up a full 1/2hr early this a.m. on my own (which never happens) and grinned immediately at the thought of driving it again.
I'm sure I've left some out (oh yeah, the wing and scoop DO shake a bit at hwy speed - I thought it was cool) but think this is comprehensive enough for now. Thanks for listening, sorry for the ridiculously long post, and please let me know if there's anything else I can add. Pics are out of the question as I'm a computer illiterate.
I would also like to say THANKS to everyone on here. You all were critical to my purchase of this car, and the information I've rec'd on the site has been an invaluable tool - you guys rock.

·
retired mod
4,012 Posts
congrats man, nice post! hope u have many happy miles.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Congrats on the car. Sounds like you're really gonna love it. I picked my silver/silver up last Tuesday. This is going to be the longest 1,000 miles I've ever driven. Every inch of my foot wants to put the pedal to the floor and hold it there till I hit 7,000 RPM! But...I'll wait. The car was too expensive (and is too rare, especially in Maine) to beat on. But once 1,000 comes...hold on!! Congratulations again. Enjoy!!

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks very much Bigman32. I am loving it - have logged just under 500 miles in the 4dys I've had it.....you're absolutely right about wanting to floor it though....it's tough! Seems rare here too - I haven't seen another on the roads and I drive too much! Enjoy yours as well!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Cool, sounds great. Just bought a Blue/Silver one. Picking it up Monday, 6 miles on it, at MSRP.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts