IW STi Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
I believe they both rev to 8000 so its not that. There are some emissions differences so I'm sure the JDM version flows a little more freely. By the way, based on acceleration number the JDM version has to have more like 300 - 320 bhp. I think the ECU and exhaust and interior and all are the same? JJ am I right?

The big deal is the octane. You can run much higher boost and more aggressive timing schedules with higher octane.

The octane rating of gas is the number of carbon chains per molecule. This translates into how much the gas can be compressed before the gas just explodes from compression. If you can compress the gas in your engine more, you can run higher boost.
</p>
So, the short answer to your question is more boost!

·
Registered
149 Posts
I think you can still do higher revs with engine management and different cams/lifters/valves. Cobb tuning (my hero) has kits they sell that can give you an 8k rev limit for a WRX. I'm sure they'll tune the hell out of the STi whent he time comes.

PS You can also add touline(sp?) to your gas to increase Octane rating. Its a chemical commonly found in paint thinner but you can get it from other things. It doesn't leave sludge but is supposed to burn out your MAF or something over time.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.