IW STi Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

· Premium Member
9,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone running this setup? I'm looking to pick up a set of 255/40/17 r-comps for my stock wheels (they are track wheels) but I'm worried about inboard clearance. I have Ohlins coilovers so obviously I lose a bit of space on the inside, but it would be nice to know before I try it whether or not they will fit. I'd also rather not use spacers since I don't want to have to worry about changing the studs before every track day.

· OT stealth mod
4,368 Posts
Wow, i thought you would have gotten an answer by now.

255s on stockers are "good to go". But...since the thicker bodies on the shocks....might limit you on camber. Do you adjust camber by the top hat or bolts? If by the top hat, you will be much safer, by bolts, you may be limited.

Doctors advise, PM the wheel whore :lol: (T3h_Clap)

*Edit-also, with a 5mm spacer, you should be fine with the stock studs, i don't know what your feelings are, but there still is the required amount of turns on the stock studs. And, 5mm spacer could/would be nice in your situation.

· Registered
3,950 Posts
Wouldn't running that wide of tires and running a 5mm spacer kinda cut it close to the fenders? Unless they are rollled, of course.

· Registered
3,979 Posts
mxpop said:
I have 245-45-17 Nitto NT01 which are great tires and I dont see that you would benefit with 255s or bigger unless its only for style.
For autocross...

wider + sticker = faster

Between a 255/40 and a 245/45 I think it may come down to your tire selection. For example... if you want an NT01, I don't think you can't get a 255 yet. But if you want an RA1, why not go with the 255?

· OT stealth mod
4,368 Posts
RdRacer301 said:
Wouldn't running that wide of tires and running a 5mm spacer kinda cut it close to the fenders? Unless they are rollled, of course.
no....look at my sig, i know about close to the fenders.

LightWerkz said:
Ive heard of people runnin 275's on stock wheels with coilovers.

You should be fine, I wouldnt worry about it.
doubtful....on stock struts people need a 5mm spacer to run 275s......

· I Solve Problems
18,782 Posts
I'll attack these in order

BoostJunkie said:
Anyone running this setup? I'm looking to pick up a set of 255/40/17 r-comps for my stock wheels (they are track wheels) but I'm worried about inboard clearance. I have Ohlins coilovers so obviously I lose a bit of space on the inside, but it would be nice to know before I try it whether or not they will fit. I'd also rather not use spacers since I don't want to have to worry about changing the studs before every track day.
what is your current size/offset wheel and what tires are you runnig?

do you have access to a set of smoked 255s to test fit?

I am running a set of 245/40 17 A032Rs on my stock BBS's and they cleared in the rear (sorta :lol: ) it was too close for comfort (2 credit cards). I'm running KW V3s

Havn't test fitted the fronts yet but will shortly (mid next week)

I'm running ARP long wheel studs and have some BEAUTIFUL 15.7mm CCW spacers (dual drilled :) ) that I'll be running for the wider track and clearance. Hopefully I can run 275s on the stock BBS's with the ~16mm spacers.

why would you change the studs before every track day? get a set of ARPs and rock them all day long! (they are hot!) (I wont whore out my perdy ARPs unless someone asks :D ).

dailydriversti said:
Wow, i thought you would have gotten an answer by now.
Sorry about that, I was at a partay!? :banana:

dailydriversti said:
Doctors advise, PM the wheel whore :lol: (T3h_Clap)
you get what you ask for

dailydriversti said:
*Edit-also, with a 5mm spacer, you should be fine with the stock studs, i don't know what your feelings are, but there still is the required amount of turns on the stock studs. And, 5mm spacer could/would be nice in your situation.
good luck finding a 5mm hubcentric spacer that also is hubcentric to the wheel for 5x114.3

BoostJunkie said:
Yeah I have camber plates up front so camber shouldn't be an issue. I'd like to avoid using spacers if possible but I suppose a 3 or 5mm wouldn't be a big deal.
If you're on stock studs I wouldn't run more than 3mm

RdRacer301 said:
not with a +53mm offset to begin wit, plus he'll be on coilovers so that'll help negate some rubbing assuming he isn't slammed (which I dont think he is), plus if he does rub he can just raise it up. 14" is a good height to avoid rubbing.

LightWerkz said:
Ive heard of people runnin 275's on stock wheels with coilovers.

You should be fine, I wouldnt worry about it.
not sure how they do that, :lol: I'm rubbing the trailing arm with a +48mm offset and 275s. And I know for a fact! (test fitted a week or so ago) that 17x8 +48mm and 275/40 V710s (heavily used too so they are narrower) rub on my KWs in the front.

LOLSTi said:
255s should fit fine on an 05, especially with the 5mm spacers H&R sells for the stock studs.
H&R doesn't make a 5x114.3 spacer at all for the Subaru Hubcentric (56.1). CCW can make you a custom spacer no problem (that's where i got mine), but to get a "rotor cap" (makes the wheel hubcentric to the spacer and the spacer hubcentric to the hub), they need at least 5/8" of spacer to work with.

Did I miss anything :lol:

_T3h:clap:_

· Registered
4,011 Posts
T3h_Clap said:
H&R doesn't make a 5x114.3 spacer at all for the Subaru Hubcentric (56.1). CCW can make you a custom spacer no problem (that's where i got mine), but to get a "rotor cap" (makes the wheel hubcentric to the spacer and the spacer hubcentric to the hub), they need at least 5/8" of spacer to work with.

Did I miss anything :lol:
I totally forgot about the jump to 114.3. :rolleyes: I believe you covered everyone's mistakes. :lol:

· Premium Member
9,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
why would you change the studs before every track day? get a set of ARPs and rock them all day long! (they are hot!) (I wont whore out my perdy ARPs unless someone asks ).
I assume you are running open-ended lugs...I'm pretty sure that the extended studs, when used without a spacer, are too long to use with my STi lugs.

· I Solve Problems
18,782 Posts
BoostJunkie said:
I assume you are running open-ended lugs...I'm pretty sure that the extended studs, when used without a spacer, are too long to use with my STi lugs.
oooh yea, haha.

ok I'll whore out the infamous ben hur photo

a picture is worth a thousand words.

· I Solve Problems
18,782 Posts
LOLSTi said:
Yeah, but the items in the picture are worth more than a thousand dollars. :lol:
:rofl: this is true, you got me there.

· Registered
182 Posts
I don't mean to jack your thread, but I have some Gram Light 57s they are 18 inchers, would it be possible to run the sizes we are talking about here? I don't want to use spacers at all and want to be a fair distance from possible rubbing but nothing like the stock wheels if possible.

· I Solve Problems
18,782 Posts
Nico Flax said:
I don't mean to jack your thread, but I have some Gram Light 57s they are 18 inchers, would it be possible to run the sizes we are talking about here? I don't want to use spacers at all and want to be a fair distance from possible rubbing but nothing like the stock wheels if possible.
this is a pretty serious Highjacking, PM me we can discuss.

· I Solve Problems
18,782 Posts
as long as you get the adapters that make them also hubcentric to your wheels you're good.

You'll need to talk to a Kics retailer b/c they don't always put them on their websites.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.