IW STi Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Subaru Sti Limited Crystal Black
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will do my best to keep this coherent and to the point. 63xx miles on my car; it's the car I learned how to drive stick in. That's the first problem.
When I bought the car, I bought it about 4 hours away with zero prior experience driving a stick. It was a stressful trip home. We made it with a stinky clutch.
I've made my fair share of dumb mistakes learning to drive the car; accidentally holding the clutch in too long between 1 and 2 is the main one. I was riding the clutch out of 1st on really steep inclines with stop signs.
Have I gotten into it a few times? Yes. But I don't remember any miss-shifts or stinky clutch smell during those few times.
And yes, I do have a cobb, and I had the lowest map installed on the car that doesn't require any bolt-on parts; I had since uninstalled the map and the cobb and cable a week or so ago.
In the current condition, the car always moves...
(I) mode- But- going from 1st into second, even with a good shift in 2000rpm sometimes the indicator will bounce back up to 1st and then rev like crazy, I clutch in go neutral and back to 2, and it stays in 2 until I go to 3rd. It does this bouncing into lower gears in all gears. Sometimes it'll indicate the correct gear but accel up to 14%, and acceleration will essentially pause, and the RPMs will fly up to 5500 or so. I typically let off the gas and try again, but a little slower to combat that.

Clutch always stinks; even if it shifts 100%, no issues, it still stinks. 100% no problem shifts seem to be a thing of the past.
Pretty sure my clutch is shot; I noticed yesterday that when I press on the clutch, I can hear a squeak. I'm hoping the clutch gets covered. I have the gold plus or whatever extended warranty as well. I've had three oil changes since I've had it, although not at the dealer; I have the paperwork for the changes in my car. I also have MBD coverage through Geico, so if they don't cover it, maybe at a Subaru experienced shop in my city, I can get it covered.

Really hoping it's only the clutch, and at worst the flywheel as well.

If anyone has any insight on if it may be more than the clutch, or warranties I'd be glad to hear. If you'd like to stop by and call me an idiot, you don't need to. I'm unfortunately very aware of what I've done to cause my current condition.

If you read all this, thanks.

·
Registered
2020 Subaru WRX STI
181 Posts
It is not likely that any warranty or insurance will cover the clutch. Clutch is a wear component just like tires.

Hard for me to imagine what your car does without a video, don't understand what youre trying to say. If your rpm is jumping up or down, it doesnt sound like a clutch issue and seems like you still arent shifting correctly. Most common clutch issue is slippage which means when you engage the clutch, youre not outputting any power because the clutch plate is slipping. I think normal clutch replace is around 60k so I doubt youre doing 10x wear onto the clutch.

Perhaps take a video of your feet and dashboard when youre driving, then we can better access your situation.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is not likely that any warranty or insurance will cover the clutch. Clutch is a wear component just like tires.

Hard for me to imagine what your car does without a video, don't understand what youre trying to say. If your rpm is jumping up or down, it doesnt sound like a clutch issue and seems like you still arent shifting correctly. Most common clutch issue is slippage which means when you engage the clutch, youre not outputting any power because the clutch plate is slipping. I think normal clutch replace is around 60k so I doubt youre doing 10x wear onto the clutch.

Perhaps take a video of your feet and dashboard when youre driving, then we can better access your situation.
Only hope I had on the clutch is that the gold warranty or what they call it says it covers the clutch material and brake pad material. Yeah, sorry I know it's hard to convey accurately the issue. So when the rpm jumps occur and the gear indicator bounces around, that occurs after the shift takes place. The shift will be smooth but say I shift from 2 to 3, my physical shifter will be in 3rd position, but indicator will say 2, so I'll shift into neutral and then back into 3rd. Clutch is also always stinky. I've put in 3rd, and 4th and tried to accelerate up hill rapidly, rpms will fly up, but very little acceleration thats why I was thinking clutch, but I also suspect synchros? I don't know of anything I could have done to damage the synchros, but I could just be ignorant to what I did as well. I will work on getting a video of the gauges with verbal cues when I clutch in and shift. I also have seen where they have some kind of 32k warranty on most parts other than tires, but I think its going to be one of those things I won't know for certain until it goes to the dealer. I just wanted to hear what other people that have more knowledge and experience. Thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
It's very hard to say, sounds like your clutch is slipping when you try to accelerate. Best case scenario it's probably your clutch, worst case scenario probably your synchro / transmission. Just know that they can probably see that your ECU was flashed, so maybe play dumb and pretend you don't know anything and try to push for as much warranty work as you can.

Edit: for a new manual transmission driver on a WRX STi, 60k miles is roughly the period to replace the clutch... Fingers crossed it is the clutch. Let us know how it goes!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's very hard to say, sounds like your clutch is slipping when you try to accelerate. Best case scenario it's probably your clutch, worst case scenario probably your synchro / transmission. Just know that they can probably see that your ECU was flashed, so maybe play dumb and pretend you don't know anything and try to push for as much warranty work as you can.

Edit: for a new manual transmission driver on a WRX STi, 60k miles is roughly the period to replace the clutch... Fingers crossed it is the clutch. Let us know how it goes!
I’m no expert but with no grinding or weird noises and the fact that it still drives, and goes makes me lean clutch. I’m sure they’ll see it’s flashed, it has no mods except tint, rear fog light and mud flaps. I knew I’d have transmission issues at some point because I did learn and have done dumb stuff, panicked it traffic etc, but figured 25k mark not sub 9k. I’ll update soon as I find out.

·
Premium Member
See about
6,272 Posts
Sounds like clutch slip to me. To test: cruise at 3500 in 3rd or 4th. Lay into it. If the RPM just without acceleration it is slipping. You might smell it too. sometimes not since you are moving.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sounds like clutch slip to me. To test: curse at 3500 in 3rd or 4th. Lay into it. If the RPM just without acceleration it is slipping. You might smell it too. sometimes not since you are moving.
It does it in all gears accept 1st. Second is less frequent but early when I suspected the clutch I tried and didn’t have much issue but it’s since progressed and in 4th gear it struggles to go over 45 with out playing with the throttle. The clutch smells 100% of the time sometimes it’s just worse than others. Waiting on them to call me back.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
-Update-
Just dropped it off at the dealer, they’re going to look at it tomorrow. They suspect clutch and shift bearing. We talked about warranty, I’m below 10k btw. “Subaru will cover it in the bumper to bumper warranty once, after that they won’t”-verbatim service manager. He told me not worry about it not being covered. That being said; he may change his tune if they decide to check the ecu. If that’s the case, then I’m not going to fight it past playing dumb, but every sti I saw in the lot was modified with Cobb stickers, so maybe I’ll get lucky.

·
Premium Member
See about
6,272 Posts
Nice, it's almost surely the clutch. :)

One further comment: Learning to drive stick does not normally require more than a few hours or kill a clutch. You might want to have someone good with stick watch you drive to see that you are not doing things to that will cause wear.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Not for nothing - You never drove stick and you decided to buy an STI to learn that was FOUR hours away and then put an access port on it? Come on .......
Stupid games = stupid prizes IMO

·
Registered
652 Posts
On a serious note my 2016 had a slight slight clutch squeak when pressing down @ 58k miles - It was on the original clutch still of course, and I would not be worried ab the squeak. You need a new clutch, and some fresh fluids.

·
Registered
3,434 Posts
Are you lifting off the gas pedal when shifting Or flatfoot shifting? :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Not for nothing - You never drove stick and you decided to buy an STI to learn that was FOUR hours away and then put an access port on it? Come on .......
Stupid games = stupid prizes IMO
Clutch replacement was free, along with flywheel and fluids. “No outside influence found”.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Are you lifting off the gas pedal when shifting Or flatfoot shifting? :)
Yeah I always lift my foot, just picked it up from the dealer it was covered by warranty. They said they suspected down shifting. So I’m going to be really diligent on double clutching on the downshift.

·
Registered
2 Posts
was it just me that scrolled to the end of this post..lol OP needs to get a new clutch and cetainly may need to get hold of how he controls his footing...:D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts