IW STi Forum banner

20g Setup Suggestions? Forseeable Probs?

7K views 63 replies 17 participants last post by  pt518sti 
#1 ·
I plan on doing a 20g install on my 06 here in the next month or two. Here is a list of what I currently plan on installing. Most of which is sitting here on my counter. If anyone has suggestions on other parts that would help or problems that they had with similar setups please let me know. Trying to get an idea of what to expect once I dive into this. Any and all help is welcome. Thanks.

FP TD06h-20g
Large TMIC
APS 65mm Air Intake
Samco Turbo Inlet
DENSO Iridium One Step Colder Plugs
Walbro 255 Fuel Pump
740cc Nismo Injectors
Cooling Mist Stage 2 Methanol Injection Kit
Invidia g200 catback exhaust
Invidia V2 catless downpipe
Cobb AccessPort
Cobb Street Tuner
Zeitronix WB A/F with display and alarm
Perrin EBCS
Auto I/C Spray Mod
Forge BPV

Thanks again,

See less See more
#2 ·
Looks good. Your going with a TMIC? Which one? and why did you decide TMIC > FMIC? Price?

What size is the turbo inlet on the 20G? 2.4"?

To give you an idea on what to expect... Spinning all four's in first and then rediculous acceleration from second and beyond. It will be a sick set up.

#3 ·
booSTi561 said:
Looks good. Your going with a TMIC? Which one? and why did you decide TMIC > FMIC? Price?

What size is the turbo inlet on the 20G? 2.4"?

To give you an idea on what to expect... Spinning all four's in first and then rediculous acceleration from second and beyond. It will be a sick set up.
Decided to at least look at the Ebay TMIC that some people rant about. For 200$ figured it was worth a shot. I'll see how it looks, works, and fits when it gets here. With Meth injection I don't think I need a FMIC and the price and extra work doesn't add up in my head. If in the future I go larger than 20g I'll buy a real nice FMIC. 20g is a 2.4" inlet. The only thing I'm a little concerned about is IWG vs EXG. But all suggestions are welcome.

#6 ·
I just had a Deadbolt TD06h-20G, APS fmic, Walbro 255 fuel pump, PE 850 injectors, one step colder Iridium plugs, and G200 exhaust installed on my 06 STi with 5000 miles. I think you are going to be limited in your tuning because of the tmic. I don't think they make one big enough for a 20G. You would be much better off with a fmic. I got the DR725, the biggest one they make, and I still kept my fog lights ! You probably need at least 800cc injectors also.

My STi put down 330HP, and 310 torque on the dyno, and he could have gotten 350 out of it, but I'm only running 20 pounds on the turbo with a conservative tune. I have to drive it everyday, and I want it to last.
Good Luck with your car too ! Okey

#7 ·
Okeyd57 said:
I just had a Deadbolt TD06h-20G, APS fmic, Walbro 255 fuel pump, PE 850 injectors, one step colder Iridium plugs, and G200 exhaust installed on my 06 STi with 5000 miles. I think you are going to be limited in your tuning because of the tmic. I don't think they make one big enough for a 20G. You would be much better off with a fmic. I got the DR725, the biggest one they make, and I still kept my fog lights ! You probably need at least 800cc injectors also.

My STi put down 330HP, and 310 torque on the dyno, and he could have gotten 350 out of it, but I'm only running 20 pounds on the turbo with a conservative tune. I have to drive it everyday, and I want it to last.
Good Luck with your car too ! Okey
Who was your Tuner? What dyno?
If in fact the I/C becomes the limitation do to restriction I'll do what I have to but I still think that running Meth/Water injection (Some Grand national guys don't run intercoolers just injection as liquid intercooling) I think I'll be ok (heatsoak yes some I agree). I'm also pretty sure the 740cc injectors will be plenty while tuning the Meth because (correct me if I'm wrong) Meth actually requires less gas to flow. I really like that APS I/C setup looks really good.

#8 ·
BluSTiKy said:
If in fact the I/C becomes the limitation do to restriction I'll do what I have to but I still think that running Meth/Water injection (Some Grand national guys don't run intercoolers just injection as liquid intercooling) I think I'll be ok (heatsoak yes some I agree). I'm also pretty sure the 740cc injectors will be plenty while tuning the Meth because (correct me if I'm wrong) Meth actually requires less gas to flow. I really like that APS I/C setup looks really good.
You should have enough injector there since Cobb was going to base their stage 3 around them w/o meth.

I like your setup, my only question is the boost creep issue from horror stories that i read on nasioc. other than that, you have the parts to get the job done quite well with a competent tuner. :cool:

#10 ·
BluSTiKy said:
Dan at MachV in Dulles, Va. tuned my STi on a Dynojet dyno. I have no knowledge about meth.

#11 ·
double helix said:
20G is perfect for TMIC and IWG will work fine as long as the port is big enough. You can go as big as 38mm on TD06 housing. Tuning is always the key. Oh and go for the APS TMIC FTW:tup:

I'll have to see about getting the IWG ported but I don't think it has been yet. I bought the turbo used about 5k miles on it. Thinking I should prolly have it rebuilt or at least checked out. Anyone have any good pointers on examining a turbo to see if it needs work?

#12 ·
Speaking from experience I would go with a FMIC and EWG. I tried my setup with a Spearco TMIC and meth and still left A LOT on the table until I went FMIC. Second, why even worry about creep when an EWG will eliminate it for sure and add approx 20 whp. The Nismo's will be fine with your set up. You may want to look at a AVC-R or DTEC also. My .02 from experience

#13 ·
steelhead said:
Speaking from experience I would go with a FMIC and EWG. I tried my setup with a Spearco TMIC and meth and still left A LOT on the table until I went FMIC. Second, why even worry about creep when an EWG will eliminate it for sure and add approx 20 whp. The Nismo's will be fine with your set up. You may want to look at a AVC-R or DTEC also. My .02 from experience
Are you serious about an EWG adding 20whp? I never once heard anyone say that on this forum. It that is true then why wouldn't everyone do it?

#14 ·
Okay, some more thoughts:

Yes, my tuner told me easily 20 extra hp with EWG but for a smooth grand more, I'll pass. As far as boost creep goes, it all depends on the tuner. My tuner has phenomenal WG control maps, loves to tune PE850s, and has AVCS maps as well. He is the bomb!

I am going with:

TD06H-20G
APS Inlet
PE850s
WB 255 FP
Tumbler deletes (maybe)
Already have:
APS 65mm CAI
APS 3.5" catless
eBay TMIC
CoolingMist Stage III
1 step colders

CB

#15 ·
BluSTiKy said:
I plan on doing a 20g install on my 06 here in the next month or two. Here is a list of what I currently plan on installing. Most of which is sitting here on my counter. If anyone has suggestions on other parts that would help or problems that they had with similar setups please let me know. Trying to get an idea of what to expect once I dive into this. Any and all help is welcome. Thanks.

FP TD06h-20g 3 inch inlet EWG!!
FMIC
APS 65mm Air Intake
APS Turbo Inlet
NGK Iridium One Step Colder Plugs
Walbro 255 Fuel Pump
740cc Nismo Injectors
Cobb AccessPort
Cobb Street Tuner
Perrin EBCS
Auto I/C Spray Mod
Forge BPV

Thanks again,
thats waht i would do , the things in bold. either way sounds like a good setup.

#16 ·
fastcb said:
Okay, some more thoughts:

Yes, my tuner told me easily 20 extra hp with EWG but for a smooth grand more, I'll pass. As far as boost creep goes, it all depends on the tuner. My tuner has phenomenal WG control maps, loves to tune PE850s, and has AVCS maps as well. He is the bomb!

I am going with:

TD06H-20G
APS Inlet
PE850s
WB 255 FP
Tumbler deletes (maybe)
Already have:
APS 65mm CAI
APS 3.5" catless
eBay TMIC
CoolingMist Stage III
1 step colders

CB
I you are goingto go with tumbler deletes, you might as well go with a 3" inlet, but if you are going through the trouble of EWG'ing it, you might as well go with a FMIC. I mean, why go through all that and then limit it with a larger than normal TMIC?

Edit: You beat me to it 520! :lol:

#18 ·
steelhead said:
Same advice as I was going to give :tup:
IMO, going with an EWG is worth it and don't skimp on the boost controller.
It makes a big difference.

Only other thing I was going to say is I'd be worried about maxing out the MAF. Do you already have the APS 65mm CAI? If not, I would get the 70mm instead :tup:

I've hit 4.9 on the stock sized MAF at 22psi on a FP td06-20g and if you're going to be running meth then you should be able to run at least a few more psi and you'd obviously be maxing out the MAF.

#20 ·
Everyone is making some pretty valid points. I'm glad to hear all of the suggestions. I am after all on a fact finding quest.

1. NGK vs DENSO plugs ( I work for DENSO so I'm backing the home team)
2. EWG and 20g. Who sells a 20g setup for EWG with a 3 in" inlet?
3. Does a 3" inlet require tumbler deletes?
4. Whats a good FMIC setup that will cost less than $600 and include everything I need.
5. I have the 65mm APS already (got a good used deal) I'll look into changing to 70mm if I'm really going to be maxing out my MAF voltage.
6. APS inlet vs Samco. I've heard of the perrin collapsing. Is the APS worth the hassel of removing the intake manifold?
7. What all do I need to do an EWG setup? (New uppipe, EWG [how big?])
8. AVC-R really worth it for my setup?

Let me know what u think....

#22 ·
BluSTiKy said:

FP TD06h-20g
Large TMIC
APS 65mm Air Intake
Samco Turbo Inlet
DENSO Iridium One Step Colder Plugs
Walbro 255 Fuel Pump
740cc Nismo Injectors
Cobb AccessPort
Cobb Street Tuner
Perrin EBCS
Auto I/C Spray Mod
Forge BPV

Thanks again,

You have a GREAT set-up, the only thing i would *think* about changing is maybe an external gate...but its certaintly not necessary, and for the price to performance ratio i would say not worth at this level.

All this extra money all these other people what you to spend adds up FAST, and most all if it IS NOT NECESSARY.

Tmic+meth is a supperior set-up to just a fmic. Tmic+meth will spool faster, make more power, be more drivable, cost less, get better mpg, and you dont have to hack your bumper up. A decent fmic kit will run you close to a cool 1k.

IWG will be fine for a 20g, I have seen many people have great success with IWG's on 20g's. Topspeed has had many successful IWG 20g with meth tunes.

#24 ·
Swine said:
You have a GREAT set-up, the only thing i would *think* about changing is maybe an external gate...but its certaintly not necessary, and for the price to performance ratio i would say not worth at this level.

All this extra money all these other people what you to spend adds up FAST, and most all if it IS NOT NECESSARY.

Tmic+meth is a supperior set-up to just a fmic. Tmic+meth will spool faster, make more power, be more drivable, cost less, get better mpg, and you dont have to hack your bumper up. A decent fmic kit will run you close to a cool 1k.

IWG will be fine for a 20g, I have seen many people have great success with IWG's on 20g's. Topspeed has had many successful IWG 20g with meth tunes.
I realize everyone has there own oppinions and most of the stuff isn't necessary. I did alot of research to begin with before I just started buying stuff. Looking at all the above the main concerns I see are IWG vs. EWG and the 65mm intake maxing out the MAF voltage (Shouldn't you be able to scale this down?). I'm also still concerned about having my used turbo inspected. The rest of the questions are more for my own personal edification. I do plan on taking this down to TopSpeed when I'm done. In the mean time I'm always open to suggestions. I'm all about doing something and doing it right the first time.

#26 ·
Stee said:
How about suspension, tires, and brakes? ;)
Well when I get the car running the way I want it ;) . The current basic plan is Springs (pinks or GF210s), Groupe N hats, and Adjustable sways. I like the stock tires (Although they are expensive and noisy) sidewall stiffness is second to none. I'm looking to get a set of winter tires and wheels. I have yet to roadcourse my car so I don't have to good of a feel for the stock brake systems limitations. That will be the plan for next "spring".

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.