IW STi Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can get my hands on a 20g turbo for real cheap and I was wondering how much of a pain is it to install. I know I need new injectors a bigger fuel pump and a tune but is there anything else? like will the downpipe line up intake? oil lines? anything?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
im not sure if its a Tdoh5 or Tdoh6

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
Make sure is comes with water lines. You can always purchase a stainless steel oil line for it before install. Everything should just bolt right up, but I would suggest an aftermarket turbo inlet hose. The stock piece is very easily damaged when you try to install a larger turbo. What you need for supporting mods depends on your budget and your HP aspirations. The stock TMIC will become heat soaked rather quickly with that larger turbo. So if you have the money, most people would suggest a large FMIC. IF you can not afford a larger FMIC, then he next best thing would be alky injection. Alky injection works good because it will cool down the intake charge. If you keep the stock TMIC, you don't have to get an intake, but it is always nice to hear the turbo spooling. There are many options available to you but a solid setup would probably include the following: 20G turbo, Turbo inlet hose, aftermarket intake, Larger injectors, Walbro fuel pump, TBE, (possibly an external wastegate), Large FMIC, Alky injection kit, aftermarket electronic boost controller (Apexi AVCR, TurboXS DTEC), and of course custom tuning.

·
A.X.D.
5,115 Posts
ninjaboy76 pretty much said everything... the FP TD06H-20G is not a "bolt on" in the true sense of the word; it has to be made to fit (coolant feed line). even though i thought it was a pain to install, i love the power and torque. :)

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks alot guys

·
Premium Member
5,267 Posts
Majin said:
ninjaboy76 pretty much said everything... the FP TD06H-20G is not a "bolt on" in the true sense of the word; it has to be made to fit (coolant feed line). even though i thought it was a pain to install, i love the power and torque. :)
Is that so for any 20G Majin? (Deadbolt etc.) I thought these were true "bolt on" turbos.

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
They are true bolts ons. I'm guessing he had try connecting up the water coolant lines, or he used the stock oil coolant line and had trouble making that fit. The stock oil line will work, but it has to be bent around to fit. Its better to pay the $70 for a stainless steel flexible line that wont give you issues. The turbo will bolt on without issue.

·
A.X.D.
5,115 Posts
JJ18Sniper said:
Is that so for any 20G Majin? (Deadbolt etc.) I thought these were true "bolt on" turbos.
i believe that the deadbolt is a direct bolt on with no issues at all, but the FP is not. the coolant feed line needed all sorts "coaxing" to get the turbo to fit.

the block had to be shaved down where one of the tranny's bolts connect to it AFTER getting the bend in the coolant feed line (a hard line) more smooth with a hammer. i have this all in my blog with pictures, check it out.

DEFINITELY NOT a direct bolt on in my car. to tell you the truth, i think the FP 20G is a nice turbo, but you can tell by the way it "directly bolts on" that it was slapped together to make work in the STi - soon after the install, i looked at the deadbolt, and the problems with the FP didn't look to be an issue with the DB from it's pictures. even vacuum fittings and oil lines on the FP were not facing the right direction when compared side by side to the VF39. you have to do all sorts of things to get the turbo to live there. even the TMIC needed to be shimmed up a little in order to fit the FP with that coolant feed line.

the oil feed line was easy; ordered the line from FP as well. the oil return line under the turbo was a pain to get on, but only because the amount of space under the turbo - fit-wise the oil return was not a problem.

·
Premium Member
5,267 Posts
Majin said:
i believe that the deadbolt is a direct bolt on with no issues at all, but the FP is not. the coolant feed line needed all sorts "coaxing" to get the turbo to fit.

the block had to be shaved down where one of the tranny's bolts connect to it AFTER getting the bend in the coolant feed line (a hard line) more smooth with a hammer. i have this all in my blog with pictures, check it out.

DEFINITELY NOT a direct bolt on in my car. to tell you the truth, i think the FP 20G is a nice turbo, but you can tell by the way it "directly bolts on" that it was slapped together to make work in the STi - soon after the install, i looked at the deadbolt, and the problems with the FP didn't look to be an issue with the DB from it's pictures. even vacuum fittings and oil lines on the FP were not facing the right direction when compared side by side to the VF39. you have to do all sorts of things to get the turbo to live there. even the TMIC needed to be shimmed up a little in order to fit the FP with that coolant feed line.

the oil feed line was easy; ordered the line from FP as well. the oil return line under the turbo was a pain to get on, but only because the amount of space under the turbo - fit-wise the oil return was not a problem.

Sorry to hear all the issues and incoveniences of the FP20G install Majin! Thanks for the heads up though, Deadbolt may be a better route for me to go.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts